Gpsmap 60c Battery Life

herbk

heh. show me any electronic device that lives up to manufacturer's battery life claims.

battery life will vary according to a few things including:

• use of electronic compass (if present in your model)
  • backlight usage (it might be coming on during the day and you don't even notice it)
  • WAAS usage (if present in your model)
  • signal strength from satellites (stronger signals means it doesn't have to spend as much energy trying to lock them in. frequent losing and re-establishing contact with sats can cause significant drain too)
  • tempature (batteries perform worse in colder weather)
  • battery type: alkaline vs. lion vs. nimh
  • "battery saver mode"
  • screen size (larger screen needs more power)
  • black & white vs. greyscale vs. color
  • transferring data to/from computer
  • every little button press (yep, every time you press a button and the computer has to do something else vs. just letting it sit still and show a non-moving map)

that list can go on and on.. take manufacturer's battery life claims with a grain of salt.

always carry a spare set of batteries with you (can't be that much weight) especially if your meter already says less than 50%.

avoid gpsr's with built in batteries or take something other than a few AA's.

want the most battery life? turn you gps on, leave it on a table, turn off GPS mode, compass, backlight, and let it sit there. you'll be amazed at how many hours it lasts. of course it won't do you much good either. :laughing:

Edited by scottjl
are your settings correct? Go into the setup and see if the battery type is correct...That happend to me when I switched from rechargeables to regular AA.....Hope that helps!

Actually, as far as I can tell, changing the battery type only makes your battery indicator read a bit more accurately. It has no effect on the operation of the GPSr or on battery life.