Time Frame To Archive Lcs?

After saying yes to the invitation to transfer my LC to a WM category (and getting into some confusion that led me to propose my LC as a category... duh...) i got the category created and already settled it. Then, i placed a note in my LC saying that it will be archived and replaced by the WM category.

However, i'm not sure that the time frame i pointed is correct: August, 31st.

Maybe it's too soon maybe not. When will the non premium members be allowed to log in the WM site and log waymarks? I think that time frame will be the right one for me to archive my LC.

Sorry if this question was answered already but i tryed to get an answer to my specific needs and found none.

Happy Geocaching! ...err ...Waymarking! :laughing:

It depends on whether the Waymarking.com site will be officially launched to the masses by August 31. We had planned to send a general announcement to Charter Members last week so we're about a week behind. But the locationless caches won't be officially archived until the Waymarking.com site is available to all members. HTH

I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure that Jeremy said that people have till the end of the year, but don't quote me on it.

:D The Blue Quasar

From the Original Post from Jeremy

Do existing locationless caches go away?

Eventually, yes. Although we do plan, with permission, to transfer the existing locationless caches to the new Waymarking site, existing locationless caches that do not transfer will be allowed to remain on the geocaching.com web site until the end of the year. Existing locationless caches that do transfer to Waymarking.com will be archived and the listings will be locked. It is up to the locationless cache owner whether to transfer their category.

Any existing logs will be preserved.

Edited by The Blue Quasar

Well, that's what I thought, too, until what he just said above confused me:

It depends on whether the Waymarking.com site will be officially launched to the masses by August 31. We had planned to send a general announcement to Charter Members last week so we're about a week behind. But the locationless caches won't be officially archived until the Waymarking.com site is available to all members. HTH

That makes it sound like he was hoping Waymarking to be available to everyone on August 31, and at that time locationless caches would be officially archived. :D

Oh, I feel better now. I just re-read the letter that Jeremy sent out to Locationless owners:

If you decide not to transfer to Waymarking.com, you will be free to keep your locationless cache active on Geocaching.com through the rest of the year, provided you continue to maintain it. On January 1st, 2006, we will be archiving all locationless cache listings on Geocaching.com. All previous find logs will be preserved.....We're giving a 2 month grace period for locationless cache owners to step up and convert their listings. After that it will be open season at Waymarking.com for these category themes.
If it doesn't take over two months, I'm gonna wait until the new site is open to everyone before I switch my Locationless over, so as not to deny none pm's a chance to log them.

Since your LC's on GC.com wouldn't get archived until the non-premium members have access to the WM.com site, your argument for not moving them over makes no sense. Way not move them over now and be able to participate in the 'beta test' process. You won't be able to add 'category owner' feedback unless you know what things you can do as a category owner. Of course, if you don't want the responsibility of owning a category, that is understandable as it is time consuming to a certain degree.

--Marky

If it doesn't take over two months, I'm gonna wait until the new site is open to everyone before I switch my Locationless over, so as not to deny none pm's a chance to log them.

Since your LC's on GC.com wouldn't get archived until the non-premium members have access to the WM.com site, your argument for not moving them over makes no sense. Way not move them over now and be able to participate in the 'beta test' process. You won't be able to add 'category owner' feedback unless you know what things you can do as a category owner. Of course, if you don't want the responsibility of owning a category, that is understandable as it is time consuming to a certain degree.

--Marky

Oh. I was assuming that my locationless would be automaticaly archived as soon as I made it into a waymark because of what Jeremy said in his email:

Once you accept, your locationless cache on Geocaching.com will be archived and locked from future logs. This is a necessary step in order to prevent confusion.

Can anyone clarify this?

A transferred locationless doesn't get automatically archived on gc.com - although you can if you want and some have. I assume they will be left active until the wm.com site is opened to all - so it makes sense to get them on the wm.com site now so hopefully when the masses arrive there will be some good examples of waymarks to see in your categories.

Oh.  I was assuming that my locationless would be automaticaly archived as soon as I made it into a waymark because of what Jeremy said in his email:

Once you accept, your locationless cache on Geocaching.com will be archived and locked from future logs. This is a necessary step in order to prevent confusion.

Can anyone clarify this?

But the locationless caches won't be officially archived until the Waymarking.com site is available to all members.

I think this post from Jeremy from earlier in this thread makes it pretty clear that the LCs won't be archived until the site is opened up to all members.

I would move it over now, if I was certain that my lc wouldn't be archived until later.

I think that you can safely make the move. :unsure:

We'll be archiving any locationless caches that were moved over to Waymarking.com when the site is made public to all users. This is only after we formally announce the site to Charter Members and then Premium Members later.

So if the only reason you're hesitating to join in is because you're afraid we'll immediately archive your locationless, don't worry. We haven't archived any yet and don't intend to for several weeks.

Of course, any locationless caches NOT transferred to the new site will be active until Jan 1st, 2006, at which time they, too, will be archived.