Is This A Suitable Trade Item?

jimmyreno

I'm gonna give that guy the benifit of the doubt he really didn't know any better. But i really think if he were gonna leave an AOL cd he would be better off just logging and putting the cache back for the next person.

For some reason it seems insulting to leave an AOL cd. It is not in the least bit useful. Its not even interesting.

I'm gonna give that guy the benifit of the doubt he really didn't know any better. But i really think if he were gonna leave an AOL cd he would be better off just logging and putting the cache back for the next person.

For some reason it seems insulting to leave an AOL cd. It is not in the least bit useful. Its not even interesting.

He has over 1400 finds, and about 140 FTF's :rolleyes:

Edited by jimmyreno

Here are 101 Uses for an AOL CD

What briansnat said. He didn't trade for the TB. He took the TB. TB is not a trade item. And he left an AOL CD. They do have uses. He could have left nothing (okay, maybe he should have left nothing - but that CD isn't hurting anything, and I know a crafter who would want it).

I agree. TBs are a different game.

As for the AOL cd, take it & put it in a seldom-used pocket of your hiking pack. They make great signal reflectors in emergencies!

I have an AOL CD tin can in my caching pack. I have been considering using it as a micro cache container. Add a magnet, tuck it in a tight spot, have fun watching people miss that 1/4 in. crack in the wall with a CD case hiding in there. I claim this idea in the name of Postkid.

The "101 uses" aside, no human living is unaware of the uselessness of AOL Cd's. To leave one in a cache is to drop below McToys on the trading item quality scale.

In fact, upon further reflection, I think the AOL CD person is operating under the same "screw you" mentailty that causes people to put old golf balls in caches that happen to be near golf courses.

I have an AOL CD tin can in my caching pack. I have been considering using it as a micro cache container. Add a magnet, tuck it in a tight spot, have fun watching people miss that 1/4 in. crack in the wall with a CD case hiding in there. I claim this idea in the name of Postkid.

Sorry Postkid, I did it a LLOOONNNGGGGGG time ago, too!

As for the CD, I would have trashed it like all the other trash that collects in caches.

An idea I was kicking around...

I've recently come into possession of a stack of various music CDs. Thought that those I'm not into might make good swag. Granted some of the CDs are pretty obscure, but there must be others like myself that will come across such CDs and think, "eh, what the hell. I'll give it a listen."

One might even make for an interesting TB carrier!

Thoughts?

An idea I was kicking around...

I've recently come into possession of a stack of various music CDs. Thought that those I'm not into might make good swag. Granted some of the CDs are pretty obscure, but there must be others like myself that will come across such CDs and think, "eh, what the hell. I'll give it a listen."

One might even make for an interesting TB carrier!

Thoughts?

Music CD's are a pretty good idea. I've done this myself. Many years ago I was a member of a band that released an album. I have put CD copies into caches (with nice labels done up on my computer). The people who have taken them said they enjoyed them. I also came across some old 78 rpm recordings of a distant cousin who was a bit of a local celebrity in the 1930's. I put those on CD and made up a cool label. The response was good.

I didn't do a lot of these, just a few in the right places.

I would advise having at least some standards, though. Last year we had someone going around putting old cassette tapes in caches. Trouble is, the guy seems to have been a major Cowboy Junkies fan. Music to commit suicide to!

One of our team's first finds was GCP3XB, which operates as a way to distribute local indie music. Got a nice CD from it, and left a recommendation (on a post-it) on a friend's band's CD that was also in there. I think the conventional wisdom is that an original (non-burned) CD does make a decent trade item - just not something like an AOL CD. We left a '70s Disco Hits CD in a recent find, although we were tempted to keep it!

~~~

Emily

I've left cds of live concerts (2-3 discs each) from my favorite band and plan to do more of that. This band has some of the best tapers in the live music community and their recordings sound as good or better than official live albums in most cases. I figure there may be other fans who would enjoy them a lot, or that I could turn someone on to something new.

To be clear, even though these are live recordings, they are not bootlegs. The band allows taping and distributing of their shows provided that they are not sold for profit but traded fairly or given away. This is not pirated music. I also label the show to state this and to list a couple web sites where people may download shows for free with the bands permission or set up trades.

Sorry. Been done here too !

Who's got that quote, "There's nothing quite so amusing to an old fella as a young fella thinkin he has an original idea ?" :unsure:An Industriously Hidden Micro

It's a sad truth, that the swag in caches deteriorates into pure dreck over time, and often a surprisingly short time at that.

Does the guy (who left the AOL CD) own any caches? Sounds like a good place for all those AOL CDs some folks are using for coasters. "Took everything, left 150 CDs. Thanks for nuthin." :P

Unfortunately, many cachers do not leave equal value. I'm sure many don't even think about it, but many more don't care. If you're gonna place caches, and you want them to stay above the level of toxic waste dump, you're gonna have to keep funnelling resources (meaning "swag") into them. The average cacher won't.

This may be off topic (but not by much)

I just got my bulk of Ubuntu cd's. For those who don't know Ubuntu is a linux distribution that has about everything you need in an operating system. I am actually running it on the iBook right now, and am typing this over firefox. I ordered way too many, and while they are free, they are not nearly as common as AOL cd's. Would this be an okay item to leave in a cache?

Thanks,

Joe Smith

So what about DVDs? I recently visited a cache and traded a DVD of the original "Little Shop of Horrors" movie for a novel. The DVD cost me $2.00 at a local store. I thought it would make a great trade item after I watched it, but after reading this fourm, I'm not so sure.

Let me know what ya think.... good trade item or not??? :laughing: ... And... what is a good type of item for trade. I'm still new at this (4 found caches to my credit) and I'm still learning the "rules" of the game. ;)