New Proposal: Historical Site Subcategories

All this Waymarking stuff sounds promising if it's done right. Some of the categories could become too broad very quickly though. My idea for a Waymarking category should be more of a subcategory to the Historical Sites directory.

I'd call this "LDS Historical Sites". There are sites world-wide that would fit into this, but interest would certainly be limited to cachers who are LDS or know someone who is. So it wouldn't limit things by setting a category that is limited to a specific city or other geographical area, but would make the size of the waypoints in the category more manageable than one broad Histoical Site category would be.

Maybe that's been the point all along to have subcategories - don't know, my head is swimming with all the buzz out there on this. It just seems like this and other subcategories would be a good way to go - to help with the organization of it all.

Good point about LDS. Thanks.

Yes, my thought is they would be markers and buildings, historical churches or temples that relate to some specific event in Latter-day Saint history.

These should, I think, be specific places - like the jail where Joseph Smith was killed or the first church building used in the UK or Tonga - not the prarie in Missouri where the pioneers walked once. There can be too much of that if it isn't regulated properly from the beginning. But specific places of interest - including historical markers that show where the foundation for the temple that was burned down - would be appropriate and interesting I would think.

Wow! Thanks. I didn't even know this site existed. Shows how much I know.

At the risk of looking really stupid (again) - What do you mean by "refining the category"? Does that mean that this information is already in the works so Waymarking doesn't need a category to do the same thing? Or are you saying that this project that is already going on may give us guidance on how to set this up for Waymarking?

Sorry, I guess I need a little hand holding. I appreciate the info.

Okay, the more I think about this - the more I want this category at Waymarking.com. :rolleyes: There are several places to find directions to the popular Mormon sites, but unless you're on some special survey or archealogical team, there are too many to miss out on in the U.S. And worldwide (particularly South America and England) - forget it. I've heard of some places of interest, but would never be able to find my way without a guide. There are many little historical markers, but not even a fraction are recorded and categorized in one place. I want the gps to be my guide and discover these things with my family.

Is there anyone else out there with LDS ties who would like this? This is my refined proposal:

___

Description: Historical Places Significant to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Directory: Places

Category: Historic Places

Subcategory: LDS Historic Sites

This category includes any historical site connected to the growth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Waymarks included here should be quality sites - not an open stretch of land that was once crossed by buffalo and pioneers. There must be physical evidence, a marker or other visual clues that this place has a part in the story of the LDS Church. Anyone interested in this knows about Nauvoo, Winter Quarters, Carthage and other prominent sites, but there are many less-known, forgotten places - all over the world.

Mention the word "Mormon" and Utah immediately comes to mind, but the majority of significant historical sites relating to the rise of the Mormon Religion are located outside of Utah. There are many outside of the United States.

The Mormon Historic Sites Foundation is just one group who is working to document these historic sites to preserve them for furture generations - but you can't find an address by visiting their site. Let's preserve the significance of these locations by logging them as waymarks and make it possible to go and to touch this history. It would be a treasured glimpse into the past.

Instructions for Submitting a waymark for this sub-Category: Posted waymarks should include a summary of the significance of the historic site, including key events, key individuals and dates.

Instructions for logging waymarks of this category:

In order to log this waymark you must provide a picture of the location, as well as, an explanation of why the site is important in the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Any personal or family ties to the site or other impressions are also pertenent.

___

I've got an idea for the first of several waymarks to post - should this category get put into play... Waymark Name: "Mormon Memorabilia".

Great ideas/suggestions JPettyC. I like it and have no more suggestions at this point as it is hard holding this all in my imagination. I'd caution that even in this "niche" category (what category isn't niche!), people could go bonkers with subcategories. I hope restraint can be used in setting up categories. It would be easy to have everything clumped under Mormon Memorabilia, but would there be icons suggesting whether or not it was a building, a scenic valley, a museum, a temple, a visitor's center, stained glass windows, memorial plaques, busts or statues, headstones, an event (i.e. Nauvoo, Cumorroah, Manti, or other world-wide pagents...or marriage proposal locations where one "popped the question")

These comments/musings would apply generally to other categories as well.

This is going to be exciting.

-The Seven G's

You've made some great points!

I agree that things really could go bonkers (and probably will :ph34r: ).

The icon idea is great. This could turn out to be a really cool deal if we set it up right!

The religion category could work too - but then we get into the trouble of places that could go in more than one category (guess that could happen a lot anyway). Like is a cathedral a historical site or religious one? Identical waymarks will probably end up in several categories. That's one to ponder...

hmmm.

The religion category could work too - but then we get into the trouble of places that could go in more than one category (guess that could happen a lot anyway).  Like is a cathedral a historical site or religious one?  Identical waymarks will probably end up in several categories.  That's one to ponder...

hmmm.

Yeah. That's what prompted this post and thread. :ph34r:

Edited by Ambrosia

So, we've been doing some more work on this idea and need some input.

If we're talking about Mormon (LDS) Historical Sites, what is the best way to order these waymarks?

We have a couple of ideas, please tell us your preference - or if you have other ideas, please share:

Possible Variable to order the waymarks in this category:

1- by Type: Temples, other structures, forts, historical markers/monuments (could be tricky), etc.

2 - by geography: Kirtland, Navuoo, New York, Iceland, etc.,

3 - by year: 1812- 1830, 1830-1845, 1846-1860, etc.,

We will probably have to do a little combining to get the structure just right - a good mix of different types of variables, not too narrow - but with some definition to them. No doubt there are plenty of good historical sites to fit this category, but ordering them right seems they key to making this category work.

Also, what is your thought on pictures? Should one or more be required to list a waymark? Do you think we need to have pictures? Not everyone has a digital camera...

To submit a waymark necessary requirements should include: coordinates, name, date, historic significance of the site, other information such as if there is a visitor's center, other background information, text of historical markers...

We're ready to launch this and lead it, but we need help getting a group together, managing the category and getting things set up right. Please, anyone... help us out here.

Thanks

Also, what is your thought on pictures? Should one or more be required to list a waymark? Do you think we need to have pictures? Not everyone has a digital camera...

I prefer waymarks with pictures especially for this type of category. Not really to confirm that the person was there but "sell" the waymark so others may visit. I also like to peruse waymark categories to see the pictures even when I know I may never visit the site.

So, we've been doing some more work on this idea and need some input.

If we're talking about Mormon (LDS) Historical Sites, what is the best way to order these waymarks?

We have a couple of ideas, please tell us your preference - or if you have other ideas, please share:

Possible Variable to order the waymarks in this category:

1- by Type: Temples, other structures, forts, historical markers/monuments (could be tricky), etc.

2 - by geography: Kirtland, Navuoo, New York, Iceland, etc.,

3 - by year: 1812- 1830, 1830-1845, 1846-1860, etc.,

We will probably have to do a little combining to get the structure just right - a good mix of different types of variables, not too narrow - but with some definition to them. No doubt there are plenty of good historical sites to fit this category, but ordering them right seems they key to making this category work.

To submit a waymark necessary requirements should include: coordinates, name, date, historic significance of the site, other information such as if there is a visitor's center, other background information, text of historical markers...

We're ready to launch this and lead it, but we need help getting a group together, managing the category and getting things set up right. Please, anyone... help us out here.

Thanks

May I suggest:

A drop-down list variable for "type" (If you can't decide all the types up front, I believe some categories are using a list with an "other" option and a box to enter the "other" category. They then use this info to update the list manually as necessary with additional options.)

A variable for the year (or variables for a range of years) - I wouldn't necessarily require choosing a group of years - my guess is that at some point eventually, the Waymarking site will allow sorting by variables which would give you what you want.

I'm not familiar with LDS sites in particular, but suggest that a geographical variable isn't needed. The Waymarking site will have coordinates that you can easily use to search by geography.

a variable to indicate if the site is restricted to LDS members or open to the public. (For example, as an LDS outsider, I would love to know if a LDS canning facility is available to use and my aunt has used LDS geneological research facilities.) (oops, I just re-read part of your proposal and saw "historical" listed - is it your intention to include these types of places?)

The "Mormon Memorabilia" name makes me think about artifacts or relics, not sites. You may want to change it to something that reflects locations rather than objects. You should decide whether to include just historical items or whether to include current items & have that reflected in the name. (Mormon Historical Sites vs. Mormon Sites or something like that)

Anyhow, just a couple more things to consider from an outsider's perspective.

As far as pictures, I like them. There is a discussion thread going about alternatives. My personal view is that in general, waymarks should end up with pictures but I don't care whether logs have them. If the person submitting the waymark doesn't have a camera, then maybe you can workout a deal where the waymark requests that the first couple of visitors submit pictures that can be added to the waymark description later.

I think you have a good category & should get your group and category description going. I'd vote "yes" in the peer-review stage with the info you already have.

~J of TeamRJMK~