More Usgs Yosemite Reports Posted

Wintertime

Thanks to Matt, who scanned and PDF'd them, and Zhanna, who's hosting them, there are now more USGS survey mark reports available for the area in and around Yosemite National Park. See:

http://surveymarks.planetzhanna.com/USGS/USGS_CA.shtml

Some of the reports date back to the late 1800s, while others are from a recovery survey in 1986. Most are from the 1930s and 40s. They include not only marks monumented by the USGS, but also some from the C&GS and BPR.

The new batch includes marks along Highway 120 out to Sonora and Chinese Camp, and Highway 140 out to Mariposa and Planada. With the addition of marks for the Tioga Pass Road (Hwy 120 eastbound), I think we now have all the roads in the park covered. Oh, and those actually go all the way out to Mono Lake.

Some of the marks are in the NGS database;links to those are available on a separate page. (You can get to that page from the bottom of the California page.) Many, however, are not. I've been trying to find as many of the latter as possible and sending reports to my contact at USGS. I'm also letting him know about logs on Geocaching.com from folks who've found any that are in the database. If you use any of these PDF files to find any marks, I'd very much appreciate your letting me know so that I can pass the work back to USGS.

I encourage anyone here who's heading to Yosemite to download and print the relevant files (depending on which part of the park you're going to visit) and do some hunting. Feel free to contact me if you want to know which ones not listed on Gc.com. have already been found.

Enjoy!

Patty