Over 10,000 (feet That Is)

StarBrand

I have 1 cache placed at just over 10,000 feet in Wyoming. This one. Recently I spoke with another cacher in the area that tells me he "closes" his 2 caches over 10,000 feet during the winter - seems silly to me - always some adventurous soul out there that might want to dig down through 20 feet of snow. Anyway.... 2 questions.

1 List any caches you know of over 10,000....

2 Would you "close" them (remove) for the winter?

Okay, the one I've been to is the Mt Charleston Peak cache, near Las Vegas, NV. The peak (and the cache) is 11,919 feet.

The cache is left available year round, and yes, even being outside Las Vegas, the peak does get covered in snow in the winter. I don't see any finds in the winter, but it may be possible. I don't think they close the trails for snow, but they might.

Oh, the FTF? Me and my team! :laughing:

(wow - been up for almost 5 minutes and Tahosa hasn't chimed in yet.....)

:laughing:

Been busy giving the grand cache a nap.

10,000 +@Camerons Rocky Mtn. High.

X9416

9,250 ft.

Actually most of my caches go from around 8400 to over 10,000 feet up. Its the walk in that is the hard part. Most of the real high Mtns near hear are all in RMNP and I just don't go there. But I'm going to have to think about the 10K number.

And I don't disable them in the winter the ammo can does it job real well and keeps things dry and cozy.

None of my caches are over 10,000 feet, but a few are inaccessible in the winter. My highest hide is around 9,000 feet

I changed the description on two I hid last summer to let people know the main parking area would be closed so their hike would be extended by a few miles, plus there would be several feet of snow on the cache (but with dry contents thanks to using an ammo box)

None of mine are near 10000 feet ... more like 5000 feet, but I'm at sea level, so the climbs are still memorable. Anyhow, these peaks still get quite a lot of snow in the winter. I don't close the caches, but I do state in the cache description that during the winter the cache will likely be buried under many many feet of snow. It's up to the cacher to decide whether they want to go looking for it.

On the other hand ... if someone did find the cache by digging, it's quite likely that once the snow melts the cache is going to be exposed.

My caches are small ... I'd be very surprised if someone was able to find them under 10+ feet of snow.

As I recall, a few years ago there was a cache left on Sheep Mtn. at probably better than 12k. It was left as a vacation cache. I believe it was in the "Never Summer Range" here in Colorado. Has anybody retrieved that yet? Joe. Do you you remember?

Yes I remember in the Rawah Wilderness Area and its here and its probably still there. Just too far of a hike for a small bottle. But that cache was planted when rules were lax.

Maybe next year I might get back in there. But its some real tough country to play around in. 1 fatality that I know of this summer.

And I would like to thank StarBrand for brining up this topic, when I got to thinking about the # 10K, I went to a map and sure enough there is a place that needs a cache and I can combine it with the idea NoWae put into my head when we did the Dessert this June. Sounds like a good idea for a 4 th year anniversary cache.

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

I see people disabling their caches quite often up in the mountains during winter. I've never understood why. If everything is covered in snow, it's obvious. People can use their own judgement while hunting for these caches. One of the problems I see is that the owner has to really be on top of it, because each spring is different, and the owner would be hard pressed to know exactly when to enable it again.

The only cache that I disable in the winter is a cache in an animal preserve. Part of the cache is in an area that is closed off for certain months for Bald Eagle nesting. While there are signs and a gate stating this, I still feel obligated to disable the cache during this time as an insurance that I am not responsible to the state if someone decides to jump the fence in the winter. :rolleyes:

I often find high elevation caches quite enjoyable. The elevation alone doesn't tell you how hard it is to get to though, as some you drive to, some take an all day hike. Here are a few I've been to that are around 10,000 feet or higher:

GCQB7Q

GCQB82

GCQB89

GCPN9C

GCKFNJ

GCKFYJ

GC954A

GCGF0G

GC7192

GC170E

GC1BF0

There are a few more I've been to that are that high or higher, and a whole lot more I'd like to hit if I get the chance. As for closing them in the winter, Nah, leave them be and let the finders decide if they can get there and find it or not.

Edited by Searching_ut

I found a cache that's about 8,200 feet over the summer. It's in an area that is inaccessible by foot during the winter. If you were crazy enough to try it, it would take a 10 mile snowshoe just to get to it. Last February someone logged it using a dogsled to get there and then a metal detector to determine where to dig down. 9 feet of snow later, he got to it. If you want to check it out, it's "Utah Mountain Man". When I went, I met the cache owners doing a maintenance check.

In my opinion, don't archive a cache during the winter. Those hardy souls who do pursue the ones in the backcountry will know what they're up against and will leave a great post and come away with a grand memory.