Magellan Topo3d Canada Coming (and Directroute)

northernpenguin

It looks like Magellan are gearing up to release new map products for Canada, namely DirectRoute 3.0 and now a Topo3D product.

The support guides have been posted, but the product announces haven't. What's a bit funny is that the Topo 3D Canada page looks a lot like someone copied and pasted the Topo 3D USA page but I expect that will get updated pretty fast.

Topo 3D Canada version 1.5

http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/prod...3dcanadaqsg.asp

DirectRoute North America 3.0

http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/prod...rqsg.asp?bhcp=1

No word on the release dates for these products yet, but it's expected to co-incide with their next eXplorist model. My experience with Topo Canada 1.0 is that the contour lines need a drastic improvement, hopefully they've upgraded the interval to something a bit better.

Anyone else know anything about these products?

Edit: Links got pasted wrong

Edited by northernpenguin

Well I sure hope that it doesn't have "a very detailed USGS topo elevation map with rivers, streams, lakes, and landmarks" as advertised. The USGS topo stops just down the road from me and it represents a Canada of about 50 years ago :laughing: . Can't say I really need better contours round here - the biggest hill is the old landfill site and it doesn't even have a cache on it - yet..... :lol:

Looks like this release is related to the new Magellan approach of giving you a DVD with all the maps and then you have to buy the unlock codes to use them. Be interesting to see if they're going to offer an upgrade to existing Mapsend owners.

I'm fine with the unlock codes, as long as there is an upgrade path for people like me that tend to jump at new gadgets....

I would strongly hope that Magellan offers an upgrade price. Especially since these map products will probably be *designed* from the eXplorist perspective, and I'm hoping that the Topo product will actually update at a decent time. The current Topo product is slow on my unit, and when I talk about hills -- their map misses the Niagara Escarpment in places. Not having a 200' sheer vertical drop labelled on a Topo map is just criminal.

From what I've read about the US topo upgrades to the 3D version they halved the contour line interval (I want to say 5M but I'm not rememering totally) which really improved the coverage. It apparently runs a lot faster on the eXplorists too.

Apparently these products are coming in September. Looking back on how my eXplorist 600 pre-order in March went, that means we'll see these map products around January. :rolleyes: