Alternative To A Rino?

Delaypat

Quick question...A friend and I are thinking about getting some better 2-way radios..We really don't need the rino's...I have pretty much been looking at cobra models with a 12mile range...My question is this, If I was to get the 12mile range one, do I need to get a license in order to use it? I'm not really to sure if I do or not. I always thought that the more wattage you use the FCC doesnt like..We live only about 6miles away,but it is much cheaper then the phone(and more fun!) If anyone can help me on that it would be awesome...

Thanks much!

Pat

no license required on the current 5w (~12mi range under the best conditions, expect far less than that) radios..

my advice, go with the cheapest you can find. check costco, sam's club, etc. you can usually find a multi-pack for dirt cheap.

the one thing i think is neat about the rhino is seeing where your buddy is when they chat with you. but other than that i'm all for having separate devices for communication and gpsr'ing. having one device do it all means you lose it all when that one device breaks/batteries die, etc.

You can buy radios that are frs only, gmrs only, or a combo of FRS and GMRS. Whether you need a license or not isn't necessarily determined by the radio, but rather if you are going to use the GMRS (higher wattage) frequecies. You could buy a dual radio, FRS/GMRS and not use the GMRS side of the radio and you don't need a license. You can buy a GMRS radio wihtout getting the license, but using it would be in violation of the FFC rules and regulations.

FRS is restricted to 1/2 watt, GMRS to 5 watts. From a practical point of view in real use situations, 10 times the wattage will not give you 10 times the transmission distance The most important factor in determining your transmission distance is your antenna,antenna height, and having free line of site to your receiving radio. I highly doubt you will be able to contact someone 6 mi away using a handheld...any buildings, hills,trees or mountains will knock the signal down for sure. Unless you live in Kansas, the standard distances quoted by radio MFGr's are way, way off from real-time use.

The gmrs license is $80 for 5 years, you can apply here

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/

Ok. So is there a place where one can view a VERY EASY and non-complex form or whatever that explains how to apply for the license, what is required to obtain the license, what it costs to apply, what it costs if the application is accepted, etc. ???

Something that doesn't require wading through pages of government drivel and legalese?

You know.... like "go here, fill out this form, pay $25", etc.?

Edited by thrak

I.ve been selling these radios for about 7 years now. You do need a license if you are using the GMRS freqs. That being said, I personally know of not one single person who has ever bought that license, and I know of not one single person who has ever had any run-ins with the FCC. There just isn't any "radio police" running around your neighborhoods.

I.ve been selling these radios for about 7 years now. You do need a license if you are using the GMRS freqs. That being said, I personally know of not one single person who has ever bought that license, and I know of not one single person who has ever had any run-ins with the FCC. There just isn't any "radio police" running around your neighborhoods.

I havent used my CB radio in awhile, but I remember people having over 5 watts of power and nothing happing to them. I'm just going to buy the radios and if the FCC trys to get me I will tell them I had no idea....Its not like I will be using 20 watts of power or anything...Thanks much all for responding!

Pat

They really could care less about folks with low power handhelds...They are more worried about 150 watt base stations using repeaters to talk all over yor state and beyond. That is who can mess the service up if they don't know what they are doing. Don't even begin to worry about the FCC coming aftr you while using your 3 watt handheld! No worries mate!

Cool cool...I ended up getting the cobra micro talk with the 12 mile range(Much less expected)...I am digging the weather radio on them..That could come in handy...Shoot I only paid $4 because I had 2 gift cards, so I think I got a pretty good deal....Thanks much for all of your help folks!!

Delay