Vista Or Legend?

SamTheMan

So Vista or Legend C?

That's easy.

Have you ever, or do you think you may ever stand completely still and wonder which way North is?

If you can picture yourself ever wanting to know where North is, without having to move, then choose VISTA.

If not, or if you answered "I would just look at my compass", then choose Legend.

I like the vista. I want to know which way I need to go without going in the wrong direction.

But, that's just me.

Or..... get the much better color screen on the Legend C, and walk a couple of feet until the Legend C can tell you which was is north.

Plus, the Legend C has just as much memory, longer battery life than the Vista or Vista C, and auto-routes if you need to.

Go color. Walk a few steps. :anitongue:

Dean

Just a little FYI FWIW:

The barometric altimeter of the Vista causes false readings when traveling on airliners. Because the cabin is pressurized, and the altimeter bases its readings on the ambient air pressure, when the plane is actually at 41,000 feet the GPSr will tell you that it's at 5,000 feet.

Some people wish they knew that before they bought the Vista.

If you are going cheap get the basic eTrex Legend and the Garmin Mapsource product to go with it. If you can afford it you can move up to the Vista, Legend C, Vista C units, but still make sure you have enough money for the software ($125 or so new sometime $50 on eBay and others). I use a Legend but would prefer the Vista, due to compass and altimeter, and would definitely love to have the color screen. The 8MB size limitation hasn't affected me yet, but I don't travel that far either. Good Luck

Just a little FYI FWIW:

The barometric altimeter of the Vista causes false readings when traveling on airliners.  Because the cabin is pressurized, and the altimeter bases its readings on the ambient air pressure, when the plane is actually at 41,000 feet the GPSr will tell you that it's at 5,000 feet. 

Some people wish they knew that before they bought the Vista.

You know, I'm often baffled by this comment. I use my GPSr for bicycling, and it's nice to be able to get a good vertical profile of a ride. I can understand those who just don't have a need for an altimeter. What I don't understand is people being upset that the altimeter gives off readings in a pressurized plane - why would you need it to give an accurate reading there? (At least with the Vista C, and I'd imagine with the Vista, you can get an instantaneous reading of GPS altitude if you're curious). Other than curiosity, what's the reason why these folks want to know altitude inside a plane?

Keith

Other than curiosity, what's the reason why these folks want to know altitude inside a plane?

No reason - just curiosity. I like to take my GPSr with me on the plane when I fly. You're up in a plane, you have a GPSr that can tell you how high up you are (as well as accurate position). It'd be disappointing to me to know I'm way above 10,000 feet and have a $350 piece of electronics tell me that I'm only 5,000 feet up. :laughing:

So Vista or Legend C?

I think Legend C wins this hands down. Color screen, autorouting, better reception and USB connection. The compass in the Vista is nice to have, but not essential. The Vista does hold 1,000 waypoints to the Legend C's, but that's the only benefit.

If the question is Vista vs Legend, you should get the Vista. More for the extra map memory than the compass.

Simple stuff here...Legend or Vista, The Vista has more memory then the Legend. I ahve a Legend and that works for me. For Good old fashioned geocaching, the 8mb of memory with my Legend is fine. The extra memory of the Vista is good for graphic intense Topo maps. And to me all this Color display is more a fashion statement :laughing: But some people like it. Just ask yourself how much am I going to be caching at time and will I need to dump the entire maps in the GPS??

I just upgraded from the Vista to the Vista C. If the monochrome Vista could do auto-routing the way my Vista C can, I would not have upgraded to color.

The color is not a "fashion statement" alone. The color units have newer technology, get a lock more quickly than the older units, and the auto-routing is wonderful.

I never could have found 24 caches in one day, as I did yesterday, without the auto-routing feature. :laughing:

I just bought a vista c. I love the size of this thing. It is TINY. Easy to use, gets a great signal, and the software is easy and intuitive. The compass feature is nice. They claim it uses extra battery, and as such they have a setting to turn the compass on and off depending on how fast or slow you are going for a given amount of time. For example. "turn on compass when speed is below 3 mph for 15 sec." all of which values you can change. I love the thing. In terms of maps and memory. I really don't often download maps, just cache waypoints. But I have been told that as long as you don't download a really dense area, for example maps from washington dc to new york city, you'll be fine.

And to me all this Color display is more a fashion statement :laughing: But some people like it.

Once you've had color, you'll never go back!

Seriously, when the 60C came out, I was interested in the memory and autorouting. If color had been optional, I'd have gone black & white - but color was mandatory, so I got it that way. The difference is truly astounding! Whereas you have to actually LOOK at a B&W screen, a simple glance at a color screen is all you need. It COULD truly save your life! :lol:

And yes, I like it!

Should i get City select or a Topo?

I'd vote for CitySelect initially. It has far more up-to-date and complete road data and supports the auto-routing and address lookup features. If elevation data is needed, then I find it better to use a large paper map which shows the contours over a wider area at a single glance and gives a much better feel for the hills and valleys than I can get from the small screen of the GPS receiver.

Should i get City select or a Topo?

Depends on your planned use. If you are a hiker, mountain biker, hunter, or do most of your geocaching in the forest, you would probably be best off getting MS Topo. If you want your GPS for finding your way around town and do mostly suburban and urban geocaching, City Select is the way to go.

In most areas, you'll get far more map coverage with Topo. In populated areas City Select chews up memory.