High Resolution Photos

This probably won't help for your area, but Google Earth goes down to 6" per pixel for some locations.

There may be commercially available photos that cover your area. Also, have you checked your local or state government for a GIS website?

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

I have used USA Photo Maps to view the local area and it will download 1 meter/pixel maps. The higher resolution .25 m/p "Urban" photos are not available for my area. The standard photos are also very old.

Does anyone know of a source of photo map data with higher resolution than 1 m/p?

Probably not....unless you are willing to pay for them and you are fortunate enough that the area you want has been photographed "recently" by a private concern.

Most organizations have a "mish-mosh" of government supplied (mostly outdated) and self generated (Mostly large urban areas) aerial photos. I have not found one place that "has it all".

From a practical point of view I don't really see why you would want that kind of accuracy. The file sizes become huge, and from a mapping point of view, you are just adding info which has no practical use. Also, having a small meters/pixel ratio means absolutely nothing if the source detail wasn't there in the first place...I can take a 72 dpi map and scan it at 4000 dpi....I now have a lot higher meters/pixel...but no more information than I had at 72 DPI.

The local county gov't forked out (my) big bucks for color .3M/p photos of the entire county last year. They now show up at seamless.usgs.gov for free. You can see the shingle pattern on my roof! Files are very huge. A 63MB 'section' is roughly 2x5 neighborhood blocks.

If the data is available it might very well be on seamless.

jacksan

I took a look and I don't see anything special. But there are four types of overlays. Two give me photo data and two give me nothing. Landsat7 has very coarse resolution. DOQQ B&W has the same resolution I get with USAPM photos. DOQQ color and Landsat7 metadata give me nothing.

Did you use DOQQ color?

It showed up both on the 'display map list' and on the "download list". Zoom in on the south-west corner of Ohio to see it.

I believe that if a data type shows up on the lists then it is available in at least a tiny portion of the region you are currently displaying. If you click (check mark) a data type on the display page then the map will automatically update and show/highlight the area that that data type is available for.

Have a look here, there is a brief explanation of how to see what areas are available. One of the problems you will encounter is that the new higher resolution (1/3 meter) are really only available in a very limited amount of areas and these area are all urban (city) areas, or popular areas of historic interest( Washington dc etc.). While the 3 meter DOQ have somewhat of a "national" program to cover the whole country, even they are not 100% coverage.

There are several states that have embarked on a program to re-map their boundaries in the Higher resolution imagery...this is not a "national" program...you will just have to look at the USGS SMLS site to see if what you want is available.

http://seamless.usgs.gov/announcements.asp#ortho

It showed up both on the 'display map list' and on the "download list". Zoom in on the south-west corner of Ohio to see it.

I believe that if a data type shows up on the lists then it is available in at least a tiny portion of the region you are currently displaying. If you click (check mark) a data type on the display page then the map will automatically update and show/highlight the area that that data type is available for.

I don't think it is quite that simple. I was zoomed in on a couple of city blocks and it still showed the two views that were not available. oh well. :ph34r:

It is difficult to wade through the smls viewer for the first time...or for your first several times for that matter....try this link for a listing of areas which have the high resolution images available...note that of the available ones...some are available for "viewing" only and not download.....you will get a feel for how limited the availabilty really is.

http://seamless.usgs.gov/website/seamless/...listofortho.asp