Category Owner Wish List

Here's a list of things I'd like to see as a category owner:

• Ability to archive (and unarchive) waymarks in my category.
  • Ability to easily view nearest waymarks to a waymark I am approving. Handy to avoid duplicates. Something like "Nearest <this waymark type>s" and "that I haven't visited".

Anyone else have any wish list items?

Some control of waymark logs may be useful, as I believe that they will be under the control of the person who submitted the waymark.

Ability to change the waymark, should it need updating and the waymark submitter was no longer active.

Ability to download a gpx file (if the waymarks have locations) or some kind of database file of all waymarks.

Lots of configurability for the information that we require for a valid waymark.

I would also like to have my cake and eat it :huh:

GPX file high on the list.

And when I'm really dreaming: those little icons on the site transferred on my Garmin screen so I can tell what I'm looking at.

Those sound more like waymark hunter wish list items. Good ones though.

Here's a list of things I'd like to see as a category owner:

•  
  • Ability to archive (and unarchive) waymarks in my category.

• Ability to easily view nearest waymarks to a waymark I am approving. Handy to avoid duplicates. Something like "Nearest <this waymark type>s" and "that I haven't visited".

Anyone else have any wish list items?

We intended for the category owners to be able to archive waymarks in their category. I'll double-check to make sure this is actually not the case and will get back.

The nearest waymarks to this waymark link would be a good idea. I'll put it on the to do list.

A copy of The Groundspeak Guide to Approving New Waymarks.

Also, for when/if I have to turn down a Waymark submittal - a copy of Thick Skin: How to Take the Heat Without Losing your Eyebrows.

:huh:

:o I'll second that.

I hope to manage a category that will be a strictly local thing rather than a national or international. Is it possible to manage under a sockpuppet name similar to the way approvers in gc.com operate? My category proposal would mean waymarks that are straight forward and simple to create so I'm not likely to run into any problems but you never know. I see the locals multiple times per year and would not want that pleasure spoiled due to any hard feelings over a waymark listing problem.

Olar

A copy of The Groundspeak Guide to Approving New Waymarks.

Also, for when/if I have to turn down a Waymark submittal -  a copy of Thick Skin: How to Take the Heat Without Losing your Eyebrows.

:lol:

:laughing: I'll second that.

I hope to manage a category that will be a strictly local thing rather than a national or international. Is it possible to manage under a sockpuppet name similar to the way approvers in gc.com operate? My category proposal would mean waymarks that are straight forward and simple to create so I'm not likely to run into any problems but you never know. I see the locals multiple times per year and would not want that pleasure spoiled due to any hard feelings over a waymark listing problem.

Olar

I hadn't even thought about that issue. Hopefully, being the nice guy I am, I won't have too many problems. :lol:

--Marky

Oooh, I'm glad that this thread got bumped. I was going to write one of my own. Marky's original post covered some of the same points I wanted to make.

For example, I have already had one situation where a duplicate waymark was submitted. I had relied on the feature that supposedly alerted the waymarker that another waymark in that category already existed within a one-mile radius. Apparently this wasn't noticed. I caught the error when looking at the list of the most recent 50 waymarks in my category. Then, I looked for an archive button and couldn't find it. I wound up using my browser's "back" button to return to the approval page and then deny the submission. Confusing!

The only options available to the category manager are to approve or deny the waymark submission. I have had seven waymarks submitted (out of more than 50 total) where there were questions or issues. For five of the seven, I really don't want to "deny" the waymark... it just needs a photo, or to have a question clarified to see whether it meets the category requirements. As I've learned from reviewing both geocaches and waymarks, people sometimes react quite negatively to a "denial" or an "archival." I wish there was a functional equivalent of a "reviewer note" and a status of "on hold." This would be especially important if categories are to be managed by groups rather than individuals. The manager group would need to see who is working on what.

I would like there to be a way that a category manager could view all the waymarks in that category, including those which are temporarily disabled. The very best waymark submission to date in one of my categories was disabled at the time of submission by the owner. I excitedly approved it, didn't notice it was disabled, and now I can't even see it anywhere, or even who submitted it so I can write to them. I have asked about this at least twice.

Not being a category owner, I do not know what features you all have. Can you answer a question for me please?

Does a category manager have the ability to archive individual logs on a waymark listing?

As a waymark owner, I have gotten logs without the required photograph. In an email to me, they have proven that they have been there by other means so I let the photo requirement slide. Should I notify the category manager so he doesnt archive the log?

Edited because Im not awake enough to be entirely coherent.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking
Does a category manager have the ability to archive individual logs on a waymark listing?

Yes.

Should I notify the category manager so he doesnt archive the log?

I'd say yes if you're worried that he'll archive the log, or if he's shown a penchant for log archiving. But I doubt he's even looking over the logs that often though, as category managers aren't notified when logs are posted to the waymarks in their category.