Listing Geocachers

cgcs

Is there any way to search a radius for all GeoCachers by their home location. This might be useful to help find other cachers in your area for social events, group caching. If you think that this might be to obtrusive because people might know your home location then maby a search by Location in the user profile.

There is a privacy issue involved in doing what you've suggested. One could zero in on a geocacher's home coordinates if this feature were available. I recommend just looking at logs from recent event caches, or on popular caches in your area that "everyone" has done, like an 18-month old travel bug hotel. You can also join your state or local geocaching organization, another great way to find out who is active in your area.

This might be useful to help find other cachers in your area for social events...

Above from OP, below a respondant...

...the only options are watching logs and going to events.

Hehe, I was going to suggest hosting an event, the quickest way to "find other cachers" but then saw that response!

Another easy option for those wanting to meet people without actually meeting people is to post in your local forum. New folks get lotsa' responses around my neck of the woods (be sure to mention which part of the region you are near, SW, NE, closest city, etc.)

Enjoy,

Randy

Another easy option for those wanting to meet people without actually meeting people is to post in your local forum.

I lurked in these forums for a while before I started posting, and wondered the same thing: where are the cachers close by me. The local forum is where I found SEPAG (South East Pennsylvania Geocachers). Now I have more looney friends than I ever thought I would. :huh: But at least they're cachers!

Or how about having an event cache and see who shows up.  Bring name tags. And beer. :rolleyes:

--Marky

That's the way I prefer meeting other Geocachers. :P

I'm glad this "feature" won't be available involuntarily. Personally, I'm surprised people haven't taken the privacy issues in the Internet Age more seriously.

I just be happy to be able to put in part of a user name and get a list of possible matches. Is it CCDawg or CCDog?

That sorta works now, as long as nobody has the exact "partial" user name you enter.

For example, if I go to the email a user page and enter websc, it asks me to pick between Webscouter, webscouter., or WeBScouting.

Edited by Mopar
Personally, I'm surprised people haven't taken the privacy issues in the Internet Age more seriously.

careful... you are inches away from being labeled "parinoid" by those who take privacy far too lightly... :(

Have you noticed that when people defer accusations as "conspiracy theory" or "paranoia" they aren't denying anything? :):ph34r::lol:

Personally, I'm surprised people haven't taken the privacy issues in the Internet Age more seriously.

careful... you are inches away from being labeled "parinoid" by those who take privacy far too lightly... :lol:

Have you noticed that when people defer accusations as "conspiracy theory" or "paranoia" they aren't denying anything? :):(:ph34r:

"Just because I'm paranoid... Don't mean they're not after me" - The late, great Kurt Cobain