Tour Across Canada (and Back)

canadazuuk

Hi all,

I'll be setting out for St Johns, NF on August 28th. Starting my journey in Victoria.

I'll be crossing Canada in my smart car, and the goal is to do it on $500 of fuel or less, and also achieve several tanks with fuel economy of 100 mpg or greater. (Imperial gallons BTW, of which my best thus far is 93.)

There is a travel bug activated for this special trip: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=78856 (Thanks to the Love Bugs for the TB tag!)

At least 1 geocache will be done in every province, and hopefully Labrador.

You can learn more about my journey at my new website: http://www.100mpg.ca

Hopefully I'll be updating my site every day with photos and stories.

Already on my list to pack are a few geocoins to distribute, and also some TEAM KFWB GPS cd's and tapes. My car is easy to spot, so if you see it parked somewhere, come and introduce yourself.

314f1078-3551-46b2-9d99-b549ae4cdb0a.jpg

Edited by canadazuuk

That sounds like fun and I wish you a great trip. One question, though: MILES per GALLON?? I am trying to imagine how that correlates with vehicles and highways that are all marked in kilometers and gas pumps that dispense by the litre. And it's been this way for 30 years now, I think.

Litres per 100 km is the normal way we measure fuel efficiency, and it makes perfect sense.

L/100km is also psychologically geared toward conservation. As the fuel efficiency improves, this measurement shows LESS fuel being burned to go a fixed distance (which is what we want).

The calculations are also immediate and apparent, using your odometer and the meter on the gas pump.

Litres per 100 km is the normal way we measure fuel efficiency, and it makes perfect sense.

L/100km is also psychologically geared toward conservation. As the fuel efficiency improves, this measurement shows LESS fuel being burned to go a fixed distance (which is what we want).

The calculations are also immediate and apparent, using your odometer and the meter on the gas pump.

I still use MPG too. ;) L/100km just never seemed right (like the metric equivalent for wind chill). Maybe if it was km/L.

Good luck on your trip. I'll be checking the website to monitor your progress.

I will enter Labrador via the ferry from from St Barde to Blanc-Sablon, about a 1.5 hour sailing. Then I take the Relais-Nordik's 36 hour sailing from Blanc-Sablon to Natashquan where the highway begins (back to Montreal)... I hope to do some remote caches on short stops if we're allowed off...

Sure, L/100km is how you will find my economy listed as well, but calling the website 2pt8litresper100km.ca was kinda, well, not that appealing...

100 mpg is a bit of an urban legend. There's the 100 mpg carburetor conspiracy of course, and then we also have (in Canada) the price hitting higher than 100 cents per litre. And then there's the price of oil predicted to hit $100 a barrel. Anyway... the energuide still shows both numbers, and that's straight from the government. Canada has never fully made it to metric in the same way Europe did.

Edited by canadazuuk

Good Luck Zuuk and may the winds always be on your donkey. By the way if your timing permits you should try and drop in to GAGAFAP IV on Sept 17th. It is the event of the year with loads of fun. You could even put your name in for the travelled furthest prize.

For the benefit of you metric folk, 100 Miles per Imperial gallon is 35.6 kilometres per litre. For our U.S. friends its 83 miles per US gallon.

Cheers and have a safe journey, Olar

I'll be looking up that cache and event for sure. Dagg - I'll be in Victoria Sunday.

Okay - the event is out, as I will be on a ship in the St Lawrence on that day. However, the NB cache is on my route. Sept 10th will see me there as I head to Charlottetown. I think I'll have spent the night in Grand Falls, NB on the 9th camping, unless I get an offer of accomodations there.

Edited by canadazuuk
There's the 100 mpg carburetor conspiracy of course...

Back in the late seventies when I heard about that conspiracy, it was a 500 mpg carburetor! I even had a friend who claimed he knew how to make one, but he didn't want to be disappeared.

Let me know if you are passing through Barrie and I will come out to wave.

Cheers!

Good Luck...... Hopefully all will go well. I will be watching your site daily to keep up to speed with your journey. Hopefully the winds around here help instead of hinder. I will try to make it out somewhere on your journey to meet ya.

parker2

Search for caches using the keyword "TCDN" or add a province such as "TCDNMB" to find quick easy caches located close to the TransCanada Highway.

If you are going to take the Yellowhead Route in Westren Canada, use "YLHD" or include province i.e. "YLHDMB"

There are 25 TCDN and 44 YLHD caches listed right now.

Have a safe trip!

Good Luck Keith, I wish I was going along with you. Canada is a great country and I have not been across it in over 25 years. Make sure to take some time to see some of the wonders of this great country. We will be watching your progress across Canada. Be safe and have a great time.

Love Bugs

Search for caches using the keyword "TCDN"

There are 25 TCDN and 44 YLHD caches listed right now.

That's handy - I'll be trying that too.

I have 10 PQ's run already for key places I'll be. I even came across a very very remote cache in Quebec that has no finds and you can only get there by boat... and I'm on that boat... with an hour stop there roughly... but I don't know if I can get it... will be interesting. I will however get that new cache in Natashquan.

I'll be most likley working on the 1st, so I don't think I'll be able to catch ya near yorkton.... but .....

I've been trying to get a TB drop™ cache setup in Yorkton. Hopefully I'll get it up before the 1st. I'll post it here if I get it in place on time.

parker2

Don't forget here in Ontario, if you take Highway 401 almost all the rest stops have a cache in them. Just search HERE.

I highly recommend taking the 1000 Islands Parkway between Gananoque and Brockville Ontario, great caches and fantastic views.

Good luck on the drive.

Binrat

Zuuk, message me. If you can make it to Oromocto (about an hour and half past Grand Falls), you have a place to stay here. I am heading to Kingston on the 11th but you can stop and camp/stay in my VERY humble abode. I drove across Canada this summer and I know that you must be very flexible with your schedule especially with camping in the plans. Be aware, Manitoba/Ontario border has the most mosquitoes in the world!!! Ontario has AMAZING showers in their Provincial parks! Msg me for any other details!!

Bzz

I am in EDM right now, near downtown, right beside a Tim Horton's - departing in the AM. I hope to do 1 cache here at least. Have only 30 minutes to do this.

Thank you for all your help folks, I will be utilizing many of these ideas and offers.

Edited by canadazuuk

I'm in Thunder Bay - caching has been a bit tough... I'm sure I've driven right by tonnes... LOL

Leaving here by 10 am eastern for Sault Ste Marie.

No modifications. stock in every way, and no cruise control either. Air pressure was bumped up a bit on Sept 1 - and I achieved 113 mpg (imperial) on two fills while on the way from Prince Albert to Yorkton - and that's with 125 kg+ of cargo and 'stuff'. I'll be going for 100 miles per US gallon on the return trip I think. I need a couple boxes in Winnpeg for packing stuff into. :laughing:

Edited by canadazuuk
Wouldn't you know... Trying to go across Canada on 500.00 or less of fuel, and gas prices go up 30-40% this week! :laughing:

Good luck, and safe travels...

MaisOui

:0)

Well to make up for it Zuuk will just have to slow down to the posted speed limits. No more 140 on the Trans-Canada. :laughing:

Olar

I've made it to almost Labrador now... I'm in Flowers Cove. In the AM, I'll attempt a FTF in near the ST Barbe ferry, which I must be at by 9:30

After that, I'll hopefully do a few in Labrador and maybe one in an isolated village in Quebec when the ferry stops for 1 hour.

And in typical zuuk fashion, there's always something bizarre going on:

http://100mpg.ca/?p=64

Oh, and the TB I picked up is now dropped off in Corner Brook. I was unable to locate the cache at Cape Spear - although that was a spectacular spot!

Way to go Zuuk! I've work at the gold mine just outside of Marathon, even went down about 1km below ground a couple of times. I think you just missed the gold pickup. <_<

Terrace Bay is where the work shop was located and did a ton of work at the Kimberly Clark paper mill there. Heading further west you'll go through Schrieber then you'll wizz by Rossport where I lived, there's a circle route if you want a quick peek at it, used to be a fishing village way way back.

Seen any moose yet?