San Diego Geocoin Club (sdgc)

nscaler

Just watch this specific forum. We are sort of taking pre-orders already.

A link will be posted on this forum when we probably put this on the Travel Bug forum (right guys?).

Are we going with gc.com for tracking or Marky?

I say with the response we have had, and with as fast as things are selling out, we should go gc.com for sure.

Marky is setting up my personal coin on his site for me, and that is a fantastic service he does for us. But, the latest craze, and the thing everyone wants, is to get another icon find on their stats page. I'm not saying we should pay for our own individual icon, but at least being gc.com trackable is important.

C4

I say with the response we have had, and with as fast as things are selling out, we should go gc.com for sure.

Marky is setting up my personal coin on his site for me, and that is a fantastic service he does for us. But, the latest craze, and the thing everyone wants, is to get another icon find on their stats page. I'm not saying we should pay for our own individual icon, but at least being gc.com trackable is important.

C4

How much more is it for the icon. $150.00?

We do 500 coins. Add fingers - subtract those toes...

3.33 each? Am I missing some toes? ;)

1000 coins - $1.67 each extra per coin.

Maybe I am missing some toes ;)

And some brain cells :D

Anywhoo... the Maryland coins were $6.00 each, trackable with icons.

Edited by nscaler
QUOTE (nscaler @ Sep 9 2005, 01:42 PM)

Anywhoo... the Maryland coins were $6.00 each, trackable with icons. 

Would people pay $6.00 a coin plus shipping?

They seem to be now.

One thing to consider, with Maryland, New York, etc. is they are running a minimum of 1000 coins. The cost of the coin drops significantly at those quantities, and when you amortize the cost of the dies into a larger number, that has less of an impact on the per-piece price as well.

For my personal coins, postage has been 60 cents for one coin, $1.06 for 2. The bubble envelope is maybe 50 cents. For $1.50, you cover all of your costs for 1 coin. We can have a pizza party for all the local buyers to save on shipping. (Then again, we will spend more on pizza and drinks than it would cost to mail the coins, but mailing isn't as fun.)

All in all, worst case, you are looking at $7.50 per coin including shipping. We will sell out 500 in a couple of hours on the TB forum.

C4

You can get bubble mailers from ebay. I paid ~ $25.00 shipped for 100 #000 and 50 #00 worked out to .17 each don't forget paypal fees 2.9% and .30 each transaction.

Oh and lots of time packing mailers.

I read at the MIGO site that the icon needs to be 16 pixels for GC

I like the looks of the coin.

edit I like #3 but the water on #4 "just my thoughts"

the sun on v3 is nice but would the color fade work on coin.

Tom

Edited by Camp Explorer

Okay guys, I happened upon this in the "which coins are trackable" thread.

Ordering Rules

Silver and Gold will be limited to 1 coin per screenname.

Only those members of the AGA who joined ON or BEFORE Aug28th will be allowed to order during the first week of orders (Thur. 9/8 thru Thur. 9/15). After that we will open ordering to the general public until we sell 1000 total coins. If our membership orders over 1000 coins we can review the numbers at the end of the first week and perhaps have a 2nd minting of the same pewter coins. We are limiting the sale of coins to keep their trade value up and make them something special. If we allowed everyone that wanted to order as many as they wanted, the coins would be worthless except as a novelty so for this reason members get first dibs.

So 9/16 is the date. I could order the 15 pewter coins for the club (more for C4?)at 0500 that morning. We would each have to order one coin (silver/gold) ourselves.

Here is the site:

Alabama coin

The coin:

alacoin2005f.gif

Trackable on GC.com ;)

PayPal

Edited by nscaler
Thanks nscaler. I think V3 is it. I'll have my wife clean it up a bit and then work with Coin&Pins.com to get a design down on what the die will look like.

Sounds great PW.

(flag instead of star?) ;):D

SDCG5001 for tracking purposes? 5 for 2005 like CA coins?

Beat them Dodgers!

Edited by nscaler
QUOTE (PassingWind @ Sep 9 2005, 07:33 PM)

Thanks nscaler. I think V3 is it. I'll have my wife clean it up a bit and then work with Coin&Pins.com to get a design down on what the die will look like. 

Sounds great PW.

I agree. Let's move on to the next step. With my coin, Tess, at Coins&Pins altered the artwork to what she thought would look best on a coin. We then did a little tweaking, and I released it. She then sent it to the die manufacturer, and they did the drawing for the actual die work. Once that was approved, money was sent, and the order was released.

See, that's two good things about having made my own coin. I have experience for our group, and I just got a Moun10Bike Version 2 in the mail from Moun10Bike himself! Talk about Christmas in September!! ;)

C4

Version 1? That would be FAB 

No luck on Version 1. My coin was one of his last Version 2 coins. He is down to less than 10 coins left I believe.

So, you know what that means...Yep, Version 3 is in the wings!

The only problem is, he will only trade for personal coins that he doesn't have. He told me if I wanted one, that I would have to make another version of my coin!

C4

QUOTE (nscaler @ Sep 13 2005, 03:59 AM)

I'd be interested in 2 of the "red handed" coin.

Remember, the Alabama coin goes on sale on Friday.

Being relatively new, I'll just ask my question. How do you folks keep up on geocoins from other areas? Just scan other lists?

Lokidog- Yes, that is pretty much the only way to do it. Most of the coins show up on the Travel Bug thread, some, you have to scour the posts in the individual regions.

Club Notes- I just payed for 15 Red Hand coins for the club.

Alabama- NScaler, you are placing the basic order for the club correct? We are just logging on individually to get the limited run coins right?

C4

(p.s. I also put in our intent for a purchase on the Sir Gerald coin.)

QUOTE (nscaler @ Sep 13 2005, 03:59 AM)

I'd be interested in 2 of the "red handed" coin.

Remember, the Alabama coin goes on sale on Friday.

Being relatively new, I'll just ask my question. How do you folks keep up on geocoins from other areas? Just scan other lists?

Lokidog- Yes, that is pretty much the only way to do it. Most of the coins show up on the Travel Bug thread, some, you have to scour the posts in the individual regions.

Club Notes- I just payed for 15 Red Hand coins for the club.

Thanks C4

Alabama- NScaler, you are placing the basic order for the club correct? We are just logging on individually to get the limited run coins right?

15 coins for the club Friday.

C4

(p.s. I also put in our intent for a purchase on the Sir Gerald coin.)

Thanks Dave

Hey guys. Thanks for placing the orders for the Red Handed Coins and making a commitment on the Sir Gerald Coin.

I'll be out of town on Friday so I can't commit to making the Alabama Coin purchase. nscaler ?

My wife has the paypal account so I have a fine line to balance until I secretly get my very own account :P

The San Diego County Geocachers Geocoin artwork has gone Coins&Pins.com for review. I'll confirm with you guys once I hear back from them. My wife said she will set-up a webpage for the purchase of these coins....it should make things easier.

When are we gonna get together ?

Cheers...PW ;)

Edited by PassingWind
I don't care much for the surfer; how many of us surf?

Now, put a GPS in his hand, and maybe...

V4 for backside; I don't get the plus on the "G" in versions 1-3 (looks like a cult symbol).

Actually J&J used a surfboard to bag this cache recently! So others might have to take up cache-surfing too! :P

HeHe ;) Nice call !!

I saw their log; matter of fact, Duncan and I were in the area night hunting around the time they were out there. But, they were not surfing; they were floating!

When I think of San Diego's character, I first think of the Palomar Observatory, Balboa Park, and the Coronado Bridge before surfers come to mind. Yep, to me the picture honors surfers more than surfing. Shoot, rattlers come to mind before surfers!

Put me down for three coins.

I saw their log; matter of fact, Duncan and I were in the area night hunting around the time they were out there. But, they were not surfing; they were floating!

When I think of San Diego's character, I first think of the Palomar Observatory, Balboa Park, and the Coronado Bridge before surfers come to mind. Yep, to me the picture honors surfers more than surfing. Shoot, rattlers come to mind before surfers!

Put me down for three coins.

Hi Chuy,

I want you to know, that I hear what you are saying. Let me assure you, we are not trying to leave anyone out, or not represent our area properly.

I am involved in another coin club, where the goal is to produce 4 separate editions each year. The problem is, with 50 members in the group, we spent two weeks going round and round about how many coins each person would get, and we hardly even talked about the design. The group stagnated, and nearly came apart.

Now, for our local coin club, we have a different goal. Although we haven't discussed it, the general feeling I got was to make one edition per year, this being our first one. I had posted several times trying to get a buying group/club going here, but only Nscaler ever showed any interest. When PW joined, we started discussing our own coin. As it turns out, his wife has some serious talent!

I for one was afraid that if we kicked it around too much, nothing would get done. This has happened with several State coins already. We decided to go with a basic idea, and run with it. Once we get this coin produced, since we have generated a lot of interest, we can take more time throwing ideas around for the 2006 coin!

Anyway, that's my small change worth of an opinion.

C4

128 coins ordered.

We are definately going with GC.tracking. Our own icon - why not?

We'll see.

PW - I'm ordering the 15 for the club, but can only get one of any silver or gold coin for myself.

I've seen people trying to order the Alabama coins and I'm going to try right now. They can only say no. ;)

Kansas coins are back on, and in production!

I made a commit for myself, fOtOmOm, and the SDGC club. Club quantity was for 15 pcs. I love the way it came out!

C4

PW, let us know when you get back, we can get togther for some swapping then. Nscaler, I'm not sure where you live, but with PW in Ramona, I'm in Murrieta, maybe we could hook up in RB, or at the NC Fair mall?

C4