Screw Geocoins

Joypa

Since everyone has jumped on the geocoin bandwagon, theres nothing special about them anymore. It wasn't too long ago when geocoins were special and unique, now the are EVERYWHERE. Everyone is making their own version. Nobody has any creativity to come up with something unique, just another coin to add to an already very large pile.

Since everyone has jumped on the geocoin bandwagon, theres nothing special about them anymore. It wasn't too long ago when geocoins were special and unique, now the are EVERYWHERE. Everyone is making their own version. Nobody has any creativity to come up with something unique, just another coin to add to an already very large pile.

Well *mine* are unique. My sister-in-law paints them on brass blanks the size of a quarter. You can see them here. (Thanks Kahja!)

I am not braggin on myselft, but my sister-in-law, she does a great job. <_<

[Edit - I am *sick* of fixing typos every post, but I *do* know how to spell "myself", I am leaving it as is.]

Edited by Tharagleb

Well *mine* are unique. My sister-in-law paints them on brass blanks the size of a quarter. You can see them here. (Thanks Kahja!)

Im not talking about individual designs. Im sure they are all wonderful. I just feel the whole coin thing in general has been beat to death.

Im not talking about individual designs. Im sure they are all wonderful. I just feel the whole coin thing in general has been beat to death.

Well Flask just gave me a sig item that was a bicycle gear with "Flask #1" etched on it. Is that unique.

And if I made it into a TB would that be on topic?

In a sea of coins a few will always stand out for one reason or another. Moun10bikes will always be a hot ticket. Who can say about the rest?

At 500 bucks I'm going to jump on the bandwagong but that price has me in no hurry.

Don't bet on that... <_<

"Screw Geocoins" sound great, I'll take 5 Bronze, 3 silver, and 1 Gold when they're made.

;)

LMAO! ;):D

On the TB topic. I have a new TB I'm sort of launching out in las vegas. It's a hardback logbook where finders write about the cache they found it in. When the book is full, I'll request it be mailed back to me (i'll pay shipping of course). I think it would be cool to read all the caching stories from it's travels.

AG's Little Black Logbook

On the TB topic. I have a new TB I'm sort of launching out in las vegas. It's a hardback logbook where finders write about the cache they found it in.

Hey, that's cool!

I remember finding one little book that required me to write a poem in it before passing it along. It has since gone missing, unfortunately....

Write me a poem

Here's the crappy poem:

Joefrog's Ode to be FTF

Over hills, over vale,

This caching takes me everywhere!

Lookout muggles, here I come!

This is WHOSE idea of fun?

What's that, ma'am? I look suspicious?

Sorry, can't say -- official mission.

Over mountain, through the stream,

Just how far IS the dadgum thing?

Flashlight dims, 'skeeters alight,

Nice doggy there... please don't bite!

Twisted ankle, blistered feet,

I tell you hider, this BETTER be neat!

Oh, CRAP! A CLIFF! Falling down...

If I live I'm gonna KILL this clown!

Just 50 feet, I can't wait!

Cut through the briars to find... a lake?

dadgum, where is it? I'm going crazy!

This hider is going to push up dasies!

Briars here, ivy there...

I know it's here, but Lordy... where?

Ah HA! FTF the ammo box!

Coords a MERE 60' off!

All this hype, an evil ploy

For me to find a broken McToy.

Now, WHO the hell hid it?

They're not tellin',

But I'd bet they hide 'em

with MAGELLAN!!

(hey, I TOLD you you wouldn't like it!)

On the TB topic. I have a new TB I'm sort of launching out in las vegas. It's a hardback logbook where finders write about the cache they found it in. When the book is full, I'll request it be mailed back to me (i'll pay shipping of course). I think it would be cool to read all the caching stories from it's travels.

AG's Little Black Logbook

That reminds me of a successfull TB journey that I didn't think had a chance. There are even more signatures in that book than the TB page indicates ;)

Edited by pdxmarathonman

The title of this thread catches my eye and attention everytime I see it. Good job, Joypa. Do you work in marketing?

On topic: I confess that I have been holding two TB's for longer than two weeks. :huh: We rescued them from one of our not-often-visited caches on our last maintenance visit, but perhaps we did not do them any favors as we haven't been out in the last few week-ends. It stinks when life gets in the way of going caching! :o:o

Related issue of possible interest: We were issued 4 WJTB's to distribute (as then-members of the SCGA steering committee). We logged 3 into caches, and put the 4th in one of our more challenging caches unlogged (to surprise the next finder).

The next (and only) finder since then did not mention it, so I e-mailed him to see if it was still there. this is part of his reply--

"Hi, I did not grab the white jeep. I was just happy to hold the pen between my

teeth and sign my name on that one. To be honest I didn't even look through

the cache to see what was in it."

I guess he was too busy trying to balance and hold on! :P;):P

Sissy

Yes, my geobones are a bit screwy. :huh:

However, I agree that we should use this thread to talk about Travel Bugs.... let's talk about Jeeps! :o

It probably is time for the coins to get their own forum. As they are pretty dynamic and there is much to say about them. As for Travel Bugs.....

1) I lost my travel bug!

2) I have an idea for a new travel bug!

3) how can I ask someone to move my travel bug

4) I lost my travel bug

....next topic?

"Screw Geocoins" sound great, I'll take 5 Bronze, 3 silver, and 1 Gold when they're made.

:o

They'll look great next to Lemon Fresh Dog's geobones :o!

Are the "Screw geocoins" shaped like a screw? Or is there an image of one on the coin?

I'll take five! :huh: (I know. Old joke)

And yes, there have been suggestions of a Geocoin Forum. It will probably happen. When?

I'm waiting

;)

Let's keep it clean folks. This is a family friendly forum. Go back on topic.

Yes, there have been a whole lot of coin threads. People like tracking them, some are trackable via gc.com, others are not. They are a trackable, tradeable item and cachers can feel free to post to this forum about their coins. This is the right forum for that kind of discussion. But Groundspeak can only answer questions regarding coins that are trackable through its website. The rest is friendly discussion amongst cachers with the same interests.

I just came back onto the forum and was suprised to see so many replies. Eagerly I looked through them. It appears I have spawned yet another geocoin thread and given several people ideas for screw geocoins. The unpopular Travel Bug received very little notice. I, therefore, modify my suggestion. It looks like we should eliminate the travel bug thread entirely and devote this forum exclusively to geocoins. :anitongue:

Sigh. My seven travel bugs will be orphans. Destined to travel the world without a forum in which to express angst over delays and delight over accomplishments. Oh, well. The world moves on.

I just came back onto the forum and was suprised to see so many replies. Eagerly I looked through them. It appears I have spawned yet another geocoin thread and given several people ideas for screw geocoins. The unpopular Travel Bug received very little notice. I, therefore, modify my suggestion. It looks like we should eliminate the travel bug thread entirely and devote this forum exclusively to geocoins. :anitongue:

Sigh. My seven travel bugs will be orphans. Destined to travel the world without a forum in which to express angst over delays and delight over accomplishments. Oh, well. The world moves on.

Yup, life sux then you die...

When can we order these screw coins?

I think that the basic problem is that the Geocoin discussions have been drowning out any TB discussions. In order to steer the forum back to the topic of travel bugs, there simply needs to be threads open and postings about travel bugs, somewhat ignoring the geocoin threads. It's a matter of using the forum for the desired purpose or losing it to those who have other things to say. The essence of democracy!

So, who wants to talk about Geocoins? :laughing::lol::lol::D:lol::huh:

geocoins are travelbugs which is why they get discussed in this forum.

yes, even if they are not trackable on gc.com they are tb's

Chris

Ahh. I have no interest in the coins not trackable on geocaching.com. That's somebody else's game. Hitchhiking (to coin a phrase) on the back of geocaching's success.

If you want to dance, you have to pay the piper, so to speak.

I seem to have perfectly fine Washington, Utah, and (here's a good one) geocachingtreasure.com coins. Wannabe coins?

I may drop them in a cache. I may keep them. They're not a part of geocaching. Wannabes.

Hey! I think we started something here! :P Let's make a real "Screw" geocoin! :rolleyes:

No state symbol. No real purpose. :P Just for fun.

Put Joypa's name as creator (his idea really). :P

Good grief, I sign up a few days ago and people are already talking about me? I was just trying to come up with an avatar, a la bugs bunny!

Hey! I think we started something here! :P Let's make a real "Screw" geocoin! :rolleyes:

No state symbol. No real purpose. :P Just for fun.

Put Joypa's name as creator (his idea really). :P

Sounds good. You do all the work. I'll take all the credit. :P