New 60c On Amazon For $250!

BoomerFZ1

It's covered by Amazon's "A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee".

I was thinking that it's a great price, but I've already got one. Now I'm rethinking - That's an awesome price! I could turn around and sell it on eBay for a quick $50 to $100 profit!

If it doesn't work out, then at worst I'll have to go through a little red tape with Amazon and/or my credit card company...

W.T.F. - I'm a risk-taker! I'll let you know how it works out! ;)

Update:

I have received confirmation emails from Amazon and the seller.

Message body from the seller:

"Thank you for your recent purchase! We appreciate your business! Please allow 7-10 days for your order to arrive."

Message body from Amazon:

Amazon Marketplace Receipt

Date: 24-August-2005

Order #: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 of Garmin GPSMap 60C 56 MB GPS with 256-Color TFT Display

[Electronics] [$249.95]

0812L491978

Buyer: email@ahoo.com

Seller: darklord@emailaddress.com

Shipping & Handling: [$5.49]

Your Total: [$255.44]

Paid via Amazon Payments Using: Mastercard

Well, I wish you luck Neo_Geo. I'm just skittish in general when it comes to buying online, usually stick to buying from stores instead of individuals. If the deal works out well, I'll feel like an a** for not jumping on it, since the cheapest I can find the GPSmap 60 (black and white) is only $10 less than what you just paid for a 60C. Some folks are willing to pay more to get that extra level of confidence when buying online. I never tried eBay until a month ago when I saw a part I wanted for my car there for $2 when the dealer wanted $25. That worked out just fine, so sometimes a deal isn't too good to be true.

I have been shopping online since shortly before the concept became mainstream, and have had very few problems. I have an eBay feedback rating of 117 with over 99%. I find the online experience is much more pleasant than going into a retail store - I find things much easier using a search engine than I do hunting around a store and hoping to find someone who works there that can help me find it. I find computers do a better job of getting things right than the humans do! And I find that Web-based businesses will go a longer way out of their way to ensure the customer's happiness than a human in a brick-n-mortar establishment.

I've dealt with Amazon on numerous occasions and have had ZERO problems with them. I trust that they've gotten to be the online behemoth that they are by doing things right by their customers that way. They've been doing this "Featured Merchants" thing for quite some time now, so it must be working for them. If it works for them - it should work for me :huh:

I find things much easier using a search engine than I do hunting around a store and hoping to find someone who works there that can help me find it.  I find computers do a better job of getting things right than the humans do! 

Here here. Especially for technological doo-dads. Being a nerd is worthwhile when it comes time to make such purchases. I'd much rather research and price a product on my own than have some pushy vapid salesperson in my face. I wasn't ripping on e-commerce, I just poorly worded my preference for larger e-tailers instead of individual sellers. But that Amazon guarantee does sound solid. Oh, and for a GPS, I think it is important to touch and feel a receiver before buying. I'll make trips to a physical store to see and feel a product ("just looking" and they leave me alone), and then go home and order it online to get the good price.

I have used Amazon also to buy new and used stuff, with no problems at all.

My 60C was $450 from a Bass n Pro Outdoor World store, back when the 60C first came out, and it has been near perfect, which places it above all the others listed below.

The 60C is a very good GPS with long battery life, and it's been the easiest one to operate, and the most features, but without a compass. Ive had several Magellans and Garmins, and find the 60c the best for me.

Best Compass one I have is the Map76S, for boating and hiking, and I use the altimeter on that one most of the time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Electronic Compass units i (still HAVE / SOLD) :

Etrex Vista, Map76S, Meridian Platinum, SporTrak Color

Other GPS units:

Magellan 4000XL 12Ch, ColorTrak, GPS315

Garmin III, IIIplus, GPS V, GPS V, GPS 60C

Edited by GOT GPS?
OK, I bit and ordered one

Ditto. Couldn't wait at that price. Let one go by on the 60cs a few weeks ago; not this time.

We'll see if this turns out to be a good decision...

Ditto on this deal! I've had my 60C since it first came out and love it! I just ordered one to keep as a backup for such a good price! Hell, I know of several friends at work who'd snap it up off me if I decided to sell. Many thanks BoomerFZ1 for the heads-up!

I wonder how many are available and where did they came from for such a low price.

I was thinking about getting Legend C or Vista C but for the price I like getting more memory and better antenna.

Antenna is actually my main concern. I read that Legend and Vista have hard time getting signal under tree cover, C60S supposedly has a better antenna. Would I be able to tell the difference ? Is legend antenna really pretty bad ?

Right now I have Pharos Bluetooth GPS paired up with my Pocket PC and I think I am having pretty decent signal. I wonder how would that compare to legend and c60s signal

I wonder how many are available and where did they came from for such a low price.

They probably "found" 'em on a truck somewhere :D

I was thinking about getting Legend C or Vista C but for the price I like getting more memory and better antenna.

Antenna is actually my main concern. I read that Legend and Vista have hard time getting signal under tree cover, C60S supposedly has a better antenna. Would I be able to tell the difference ? Is legend antenna really pretty bad ?

Legend and Vista (B&W) have problems with signal reception under heavy tree cover. The newer color versions have new and improved reception performance. The 60 & and the color eTrex models have about the same reception abilities. One great thing about the 60s is that they have an external antenna jack.

Right now I have Pharos Bluetooth GPS paired up with my Pocket PC and I think I am having pretty decent signal. I wonder how would that compare to legend and c60s signal

Let us know when you find out.

Edited by Neo_Geo
They probably "found" 'em on a truck somewhere  :D

yeah, I wonder why I was thinking the same :-)

The 60 & and the color eTrex models have about the same reception abilities.  One great thing about the 60s is that they have an external antenna jack. 

so without using external antenna the legenc/vista c and 60c have about the same reception ?

Because 60c has "Built-in quadrifilar" antenna while legend has " Built-in patch" - whatever the difference is :D

I have used Amazon also to buy new and used stuff, with no problems at all.

I only recently, after many online purchases from individuals, had a fraud experience through Amazon. Seller sent complete unidentifiable junk when I ordered and paid for a new external hard drive. BUT... Amazon was great about the situation and I received a total refund for the purchase, plus a 10.00 voucher to use on my next purchase.

so without using external antenna the legenc/vista c and 60c have about the same reception ?

Because 60c has "Built-in quadrifilar" antenna while legend has " Built-in patch" - whatever the difference is :D

Signal processing performance apparently matters more than the antenna. Vista c has the new garmin chipset (same as in the GPS10), the 60cs still has the old one. The better chipset more than compensates for the smaller antenna.

My Sirf III-based bluetooth GPS is (a lot) better still, eventhough it's tiny.

I saw that on Amazon last week as I was shopping for mine. Looked too good to be true and you know what they say about htose deals. I ended up buying mine from gpsnow.com and it was here in 2 days, brand new.

Good luck, I hope things go well for you guys.

I saw that on Amazon last week as I was shopping for mine. Looked too good to be true and you know what they say about htose deals. I ended up buying mine from gpsnow.com and it was here in 2 days, brand new.

Good luck, I hope things go well for you guys.

...and how much did you spend? I'm willing to wait a few days to save $117.00. And IF I don't get mine, then I'll just place a call to Amazon and they'll straighten things out.

...and how much did you spend?  I'm willing to wait a few days to save $117.00.  And IF I don't get mine, then I'll just place a call to Amazon and they'll straighten things out.

$357...which I thought was a good deal considering most places had it for around $400-$450.

I just don't have patience to wait or call or e-mail or whatever if things aren't going right...

And I'm not being critical, I seriously hope it works out for you! I just made a different choice based on my needs/capabilities/wants...

Keep us posted! :anitongue:

-Matt

Edited by M4T

CRS,

Thanks, I didn't fall the whole 14,000 feet, I was descending a rock and sand strewn, 60 degree slope and lost my footing. My backpack cushioned my fall, so not too much damage, just a bruised tail bone and a sliced open right hand palm. I think the fall cracked my GPS clip as it was on my belt when I stood up, but after sliding down a couple more hundred yards down this rock/sand slope, it was gone. I went back a bit to look, but the snow storm and wind was getting too much and I had to get off the mountain. Oh well, maybe I will go back and look for it in a couple of weeks, only about a a dozen acres of 60 percent slope to search!!

I just don't have patience to wait or call or e-mail or whatever if things aren't going right...

It is a fact that I've already got one of these things in my hands now. I remember how antsy I was when I pre-ordered mine, and they first started shipping... I think I'd have probably paid the extra money for the sure thing back then too. :unsure:

Edited by Neo_Geo

Hey Inmountains...glad you're okay my friend. And I have to say you're going to giggle over the 60c. I had the 600 for a short time but enough to know it holds no candle with the GPSMap. It's like the God's of outdoors and caching created the Garmin 60 series. I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

Edited by BoomerFZ1

While I wish everyone luck who ordered from this person, I also advise caution. I went to the Amazon site and read the feedback on this person. It seems to run 50/50 bad and good. This in a market where one or two bad reviews out of a hundred is a red flag.

The price is great. Now, keep in mind the idea of TANSTAAFL*

*There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (thank you Robert Heinlein)

Back when I first saw it, he only had 2 negatives, and they were like kind of the users' faults it seemed. He seems to have gotten quite a few more NEGATIVE COMMENTS in the last few days. Gotta admit, it's not looking very promising at this point.

Maybe he's just having computer problems... His internet connection may be down. :)

I wonder how much money Amazon will lose from this punk...

===========================

I just sent an email to Amazon warning them of his poor feedback of late.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Well, at this point it all looks as if it was a scam. Amazon has closed all of his items. I wrote to Amazon concerning the situation now that they know he is a scammer and what will happen now at this point, awaiting an email back from Amazon.com

If anyone wants to confirm that all his items are closed his username is darklord115.

I will keep you all posted as to what Amazon.com does about refunding the money and what there plan of action is.

Edited by "CacheCllctrz"

OK, I recieved an email from Amazon.com as to this situation. You can read the whole thing or you can just say that nothing will be done till the shipping date passes (in my case september 23rd) (account info has been deleted or changed)

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

First, let me apologize for all the inconvenience.

I've reviewed your order (#xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx) from darklord115 and

found that it was placed using the Standard shipping option. The

estimated delivery date for this order is September 6 - September 20,

2005, as noted in Your Account and your order confirmation e-mail.

Please be aware that Amazon.com is not directly involved in shipping

this purchase. Therefore, you will need to contact the individual

seller if you have any further questions. We would like to ask that

you wait until the close of business on September 23, 2005 for your

order to arrive.

If it does not arrive by September 23, 2005, please contact the

seller at DARKLORD@kc.rr.com to let them know.

We do want to make sure that your order works out. Please save this

message. If you don't receive a reply from your seller within 3

business days of contacting them, or are not able to come to an

agreement regarding a non-received order, contact Amazon.com again

using the special URL below:

(WWW.SPECIAL url was here!!!!!)

When we receive a report from you using the form above, we will

investigate the status of your order and take any actions available

to us to resolve the problem.

Further, I'm very sorry to learn that you've had a negative ordering

experience with one of our Amazon Marketplace sellers.

We are not able to share customer account information or status, and

we include Marketplace sellers among our customers. However, please

know that we do take the feedback and performance records of sellers

very seriously. We monitor seller performance and take

administrative measures on an account when warranted.

Though we are unable to share account details for DARKLORD@kc.rr.com,

it is worth noting that this seller's feedback profile indicates they

have no open sales listings. You can confirm this by viewing the

profile online. Just visit your order summary in Your Account, and

click on the seller's nickname for more information. Links within

the seller's Member Profile will indicate whether any open listings

exist.

Please note that it is possible for buyers to leave feedback for a

seller even when the seller is no longer active.

Again, please know how sorry I am that this experience has been a

disappointment.

You may also want to consider the convenient self-service option of

using our online A-to-z Guarantee. If you are eligible under its

terms, you may file a claim online for full reimbursement of your

order cost, including shipping. Our guarantee is located online at:

(ANOTHER SPECIAL LINK WAS HERE!!) (of course I have to wait until the end of september to do this!!!)

In the meantime I am going to go out and purchase one from a reputable dealer and wait to see what happens to this problem. Hey, if I recieve it, someone will be getting a cheap 60c, cause i won't need two!! :D

I got a reply to my email to Amazon (same as the one above). I'll spare you all of details. Basically I must wait until September 20th, and if my GPSr hasn't arrived by then, then I need to contact the seller. If I don't hear anything from him for 3 days, then I can file a claim on their guarantee.

Oh well... :D

Edited by Neo_Geo
Wow guys I'm really sorry. I hope this doesn't cause you too much inconvenience. I'll be more reluctant to share any too-good-to-be-true deals on the internet. And I will assure you I do not nor did I ever go by the moniker DARKLORD :D

I might have to starve my 2-year-old daughter for a month or two until the credit is issued back on my credit card, but no real inconvenience to me :ph34r:

But seriously, those of us who ordered from this guy knew the risks involved (which truly are minimal). If you do see more awesome deals like that, please DO share them. You never know what's truly "too good to be true" until AFTER the fact. It could've been a legitimate deal which we might have missed out on.

I ordered a Gps 60CS from Amazon.com in July for $345 ...I also ordered a 60c by mistake & had no probs sending it back ...the only thing they didnt refund was the shipping ....also I bought it july 7th & garmins refund offer ended the 5th but I sent it in anyways & I did recieve the refund so I ended up getting the 60CS for $295..... I have had no problems with Amazon or Garmin