Vacation Waymarks?

If, by "Vaction Waymark", you mean to POST (record) a waymark that is outside of your home area, I think the answer is yes.

According to this post from bootron, it looks like you can post waymarks without actually visiting them:

You don't have to go to the waymark in order to POST it, but you still have to go there to VISIT (log) it.

If you don't have to actually even go to the waymark in order to record it, I assume geography is not an issue.

edit: missing /quote

Edited by cache_test_dummies

In answer to Blue Duece: No, what I was thinking was if I go on vacation and see a Waymark site (interesting mailbox, BBQ place etc.) can I submit it as a Waymark with no intentions of maintaining it.

It appears from the way this thing is constructed, that the Category Owners, are in essence, Mini-Approvers. It's up to them to allow/disallow the submission.

I was just wondering if it was explicitely stated anywhere.

Does a waymark need maintenance???

Sometimes waymarks will need 'maintenance'.

Things happen which could require changes to the waymark page. A statue can be moved or destroyed. A scenic overlook can suddenly be marked off limits by the forest rangers. A Yellow Arrow sticker could get peeled off and discarded. A mountain peak could shift as the result of a volcanic eruption. A McDonald's could go out of business. In each of these situations, the waymark page would need to be updated to reflect the situation.

Ok, maybe a McDonald's can't go out of business. But I feel pretty good about the other examples I provided.

Does a waymark need maintenance???

Sometimes waymarks will need 'maintenance'.

Things happen which could require changes to the waymark page. A statue can be moved or destroyed. A scenic overlook can suddenly be marked off limits by the forest rangers. A Yellow Arrow sticker could get peeled off and discarded. A mountain peak could shift as the result of a volcanic eruption. A McDonald's could go out of business. In each of these situations, the waymark page would need to be updated to reflect the situation.

Ok, maybe a McDonald's can't go out of business. But I feel pretty good about the other examples I provided.

A McDonalds could go out of business if it were located on a mountain peak that shifted as the result of a volcanic eruption.  I suppose if McDonalds was to suddenly be marked off limits by the forest rangers, then it might go out of business as well.

Thanks LP. I thought this would be the answer. If the intent of Waymarking is to show other Cachers/Waymarkers (Boy, there's a word for ya) interesting spots, then it seems that if I find something interesting on vacation that I'd like to share, then it would be a worthwhile submission.

If for some reason something happens to the Waymark (volcanic eruptions not withstanding), then BANG, it gets Archived and we move on. Seems like Waymarks doesn't have the same issues as Geocaching (i.e. geolitter).

I'm also finding lots of local places that are worthy of visits that I've thought of putting caches but didn't want to take the time to set up as a geocache, or didn't want to bother with the "permission" aspects of Geocaching.

It's kind of fun seeing the lists grow each day. I wonder if this is how it was in the infancy of gc.com ;)

Yes, vacation waymarks are allowed as long as the category manager allows it. There are various waymark categories where this would be a bad idea so take it on a case by case basis. However for most of them it is fine to mark them even if you can't "maintain" them.