Mapsource City Select V7 Upgrade

I got a reply from Garmin stating the upgrade disc I will be receiving will b a DVD ....Note if you ORIGINALLY & NEWLY unlocked it today or shortly hereafter to your compatible Garmin unit, you'd be eligible to get a V7 City Select North America Update disk (a DVD—stress on it being a DVD) and unlock same on it to same unit for no charge. Updates usually are charged...it would be a transition coverage thing for this one. Again, note the Update Disk is a DVD.

I thought a DVD was something u viewed .....so whats up with this

Most newer computers have DVD read/write drives. A DVD is nothing more than a special kind of CD containing data. It just holds a lot more data (over 4GB compared to 700MB for a CD).

Your DVD player expects the data to be in a specific format to play the DVD. Your computer is smarter. It can distinguish between traditional DVDs and data DVDs (just like it can distinguish between music CDd and data CDs).

Welcome to the new millenium <_<

Edited by Sputnik 57

The City Select v7 update is in a DVD-ROM - a DVD that gets used by a computer to read data. It won't work in your DVD player.

The situation is analagous to City Select v6 being on a pair of CD-ROMs. These work fine in the CD drive of your computer, but won't work in the audio CD player in your stereo system or your car audio system.

This does mean that in order to use the DVD-ROM for City Select v7 you will need to have a DVD-compatible CD/DVD reader in your computer. I don't know if Garmin is able to supply the City Select v7 update on CD for users who do not have a computer DVD.

Does anybody else out there know?

PS: I received my City Select v7 update in yesterday's mail -- it is indeed on a DVD-ROM, and works great!

Most newer computers have DVD read/write drives.  A DVD is nothing more than a special kind of CD containing data.  It just holds a lot more data (over 4GB compared to 700MB for a CD).

Your DVD player expects the data to be in a specific format to play the DVD.  Your computer is smarter. It can distinguish between traditional DVDs and data DVDs (just like it can distinguish between music CDd and data CDs).

Welcome to the new millenium  <_<

Thank you ....as u can see i am computer illitirate....I know just enough to b dangerous LOL

The City Select v7 update is in a DVD-ROM - a DVD that gets used by a computer to read data. It won't work in your DVD player.

The situation is analagous to City Select v6 being on a pair of CD-ROMs. These work fine in the CD drive of your computer, but won't work in the audio CD player in your stereo system or your car audio system.

This does mean that in order to use the DVD-ROM for City Select v7 you will need to have a DVD-compatible CD/DVD reader in your computer. I don't know if Garmin is able to supply the City Select v7 update on CD for users who do not have a computer DVD.

Does anybody else out there know?

PS: I received my City Select v7 update in yesterday's mail -- it is indeed on a DVD-ROM, and works great!

The OP looks like they are quoting Garmin saying that it **only** comes on a DVD not on a CD.

The OP looks like they are quoting Garmin saying that it **only** comes on a DVD not on a CD.

They may not advertise it, but I think if you are persistent enough you can get it on CD.

Kind of like the horse buggy vs. the Model-T, everything is new.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I can't wait to see where technology goes next! Perhaps we'll have 50GB and 100GB CompactFlash cards at 35¢ a pop in a few years. We'll be scratching our heads saying, "I paid $200 for a 128MB card just a few years ago - now a package of fifty 100GB cards is on sale for just $15.00?"

I remember when I got my first computer 12 years ago - a 386SX-25 with a 120 MEGAbyte hard drive. Man... I thought I had some storage back then! Wheeee... <_<

I remember when I got my first computer 12 years ago - a 386SX-25 with a 120 MEGAbyte hard drive. Man... I thought I had some storage back then! Wheeee... <_<

Guess I'm older than you. My first PC was an 8088 running at 4.7Mhz with two floppy drives. Our firm's first server, in late 1984, used an Intel 80286 processor running at a lightning quick 6 MHz. It had a 16-bit ISA bus and 20MB harddrive--more storage than the firm would ever need. :unsure:

mine arrived on 8/22/05 and was on a single DVD in a plain brown padded envelope. not even any documentation with it. put the disc in, loaded (it upgraded me to mapsource 6.8 btw) which took about 10 minutes. then i went online and unlocked it. doesn't want or need the DVD after that.

in the worst case, if you don't have a DVD player, you could get someone with a dvd player to make an .iso image of the dvd for you that you can copy to your machine (over a network i'd suggest) and then mount it using something like daemontools (free). then install from there. then toss the iso image. but probably a lot more work than just finding a dvd player to use..

Guess I'm older than you.  My first PC was an 8088 running at 4.7Mhz with two floppy drives.

I guess I am older than both, my first "pc" was an Apple ][ with 16K (yes K) and CPU running at 1 MHz, and a single floppy which held 120K (yes K again).

Well I do not know if it an age issue, but My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1 ... Had a Blazing 900 Hz to 1.2 Mhz (depending on the load) and 8K onboard memory (I upgraded to the max 64K). It had a 5 1/4'" Floppy and a cassette recorder to input programs with ... The Original "TRASH 80" ... God those were the days

ImpalaBob,

I believe the Hitachi movie is related to harddrive (HD) magnetic storage, not compact disc (CD) optical storage. They are working on a method to move the orientation of the magenic media from parallel to the harddisk platter to perpendicular (as you noted). I bet they are working first on the microdrives for music players (iPod, mp3 etc) first. Taking them from 4GB or 20GB to 40GB or 200GB in a handheld unit would be a big gain. Desktop units can already handle 200GB+ drives, so the need seems to be less there.

Don