Arizona Geocoin

Nero

Ok heres the deal, it seems like every other state has there own coin, or at least a lot now every state, but how about an Arizona geocoin, it seems all coins are loved by the masses, i know i love them. but i am NOT an artist.

how about some ideas maybe something cool will come of it..

Chris

ideas..

cactus

state sunbeam flag or colors

coyote

the state

roadrunner

kokopeli

snake

eagle

How bout something simple for the front.

Perhaps change Kokopelli's flute into a GPS? May want to flip him 180° so the curve of his back matches the curve of the coin. Also, usually want artwork to face the center of the object to keep the viewer's eye there.

Any Native American issues with the use of Kokopelli? He appears on so many secular items these days that perhaps it's a mute point.

I grew up in southern AZ, so I'm definitely watching this development with interest!

Edited by Ladybug Kids

It's been slow going (family life), but Jake and myself are very close to completion of a design that will then be made available for commenting. It's been a complicated process, and I take pride in the work I do (as does Jake), and we have taken a bit more time and perhaps necessary, but when one of us is juggling family life too, it isn't as quick as one would hope.

There is some refining left to do (hopefully not much), but here is a pretty good idea of what is going to be our concept.

coin-update-8-29.jpg

The concept is this:

The state outline with flag overlayed is obvious.

The Saguaro with opposing pine tree illustrates the extremes that can be found in AZ.

The Jack-A-Lope is both a tribute and funny ha-ha to all the types of animal life that can be found there. The colors on the front of the coin are subject to some tweaking, but the final coin will be color on this side.

The back of the coin is a tribute to several things. Tucked into the picture is the fabled ammo can, with the Superstition Mountains in the background, with another Saguaro in the picture. This mountain range is legendary for a number of reasons, and is highly identifiable. The Lost Dutchman's Gold is rumored to be hidden somewhere in the mountains, and Weaver's Needle is a famous point to hike to.

The Jeep in the foreground is the biggest tribute of all in the coin, which is to Team Wyle E. They were one of the first teams to discover caching in AZ, and became very well liked/respected during their time here. They currently own a Yellow Jeep named 'Wyle E' which is towed around the country by their RV, 'Roadrunner'. The very popular 'Yellow Jeep Fever' locationless was created as a tribute to them, and it just seems fitting for the first-gen coin to be a kudos to them. The latin text is the best possible translation of the English below the coin, which says "Home of the Original Yellow Jeep". While the back of the coin is photo-quality in appearance, based on the Rubicon Brothers coin, it will be colorless, but 3D. Once the testing is under way by the company that ultimately does the minting, it will be determined whether the clouds will appear 3D, the cholla, Saguaro or Jeep as well. With the shadowing, I think the Jeep is going to be without a doubt, due to the prominence in the image. The ultimate goal is to have a final product that appears to be rising out of the coin itself.

Comments?

Well, I suppose an informal list can be generated based on requests posted here, but in order to prevent confusion (I'm really confused right now), which coin is being referred to for the orders?

With 2 coin designs posted, it would be important to specify, especially with different 'authors' working on a design.

Edited by Brian - Team A.I.

why worrry about different authors...it should be a collaboration of the two. responses should address both designs. i only submitted one to get the artwork flowing.

things i like about the newest design post:

the jack-a-lope!!! quite funny

back side work...great background....not too sure about the jeep or the latin ( i don't speak that much latin)

would be neat to see a rattlesnake wrapped around an ammo can or gpsr.

might add the www.geocaching.com website on the edges or ask marky to track it and put that url on it

Way to go Team A.I. !!!! :anitongue:<_<:ph34r:

Edited by The Dillon Gang

I only mentioned the different authors part to differentiate what people were talking about. A collaborative effort is cool with me.

Tracking on gc.com is likely to not be a possibility for this primary reason: It adds $1.50 to the coin, and half of the coin (read: an entire side) is dedicated to the gc.com approved logo, which is supplied by TPTB). To us, that leaves too many limitations to make it worth it.

The latin is in its English form below the coin.

Tracking on gc.com is likely to not be a possibility for this primary reason:  It adds $1.50 to the coin, and half of the coin (read: an entire side) is dedicated to the gc.com approved logo, which is supplied by TPTB).  To us, that leaves too many limitations to make it worth it.

Do you want Marky to track the coin or just not track it at all? (I know you are watching the thread Marky)

other things to consider...color or not?

i think you are pretty close to ready to print. i see the english below. are you going to put it on the coin?

do you want to represent geocaching.com in any way? we could color the state with the 4 colors....or color the jeep in those colors/

perhaps the "g" in script for geocaching somewhere?

Edited by The Dillon Gang

Looking good (Brian's). Just keep your options open and take your time.

And the SDGC club (right Steve?) would order at least 10 coins.

Keep us informed :anitongue:

Let Dillon help with ideas on the 3-D (Look at the 2005 CA geocoin back).

Edited by nscaler

That's something worth trying, and I'll give it a shot. I have an idea that might work well with that, but we'll have to see what the rest of the zonie crowd thinks. Copper IS the color for the star, and it might not be well received to make it go away. Who knows though? Looking at the image I've linked, I seem to remember having a more vibrant copper for the center. On the state side, color is going to be a given. Just how it works out will be the key. Also, going beyond the colors currently in place might kick costs up too much, but I haven't gotten pricing yet, so I'm just taking a stab in the dark on that one.

BTW, can anyone see anything that looks out of place on the Jeep side (besides the blatantly obvious ammo can). I Photoshopped the Jeep in, and think I have everything blended, if you don't do a zoom to individual pixels. Granted, that level of detail will not be present on the minted coin, but I'm picky about things like that. :anitongue:

My "feeble" attempt:

7360a4a7-9b6f-4fbc-b8d2-144826d48fe5.jpg

I have a cache in Prescott, you know <_<

And I think the shape of the state and the flag are more important than the star color. :anitongue:

i like this for a front design minus the azgeocaching.com as far as where that is i like some kind of phrase better, like "Caching In The Sun" or "It's Not HELL, It's Arizona"

and the back design with the jeep. i dont like it at all, any other ideas?

Chris

Edited by KF6JAX
How bout something simple for the front.

Perhaps change Kokopelli's flute into a GPS? May want to flip him 180° so the curve of his back matches the curve of the coin. Also, usually want artwork to face the center of the object to keep the viewer's eye there.

Any Native American issues with the use of Kokopelli? He appears on so many secular items these days that perhaps it's a mute point.

I grew up in southern AZ, so I'm definitely watching this development with interest!

Like this?

<-------

i would consider removing the cactus and tree from the front. make the jack-a-lope bigger and move to the bottom like the kokopeli. with the vibrant colors on the flag...the other things seem to clutter the design.

you already have a cactus on the back. one more thing about the back....making the ammo can more obvious would be better. it is really small and the detail when the coins are made might make it look like a rock.

I like the added geocaching colors to the star. Perhaps the star needs a bit more outlining to make it stand out? Im not crazy about the jackalope, but wouldnt mind if it was there either. I think it is important to have azgeocaching.com represented, since that sense of community has been as important to our team as gc.com has been. No kokopellis please. They are so overdone (no offense to the team with it as a logo) that it would degrade the coin's artwork, in my opinion.

A concern Jake brought up to me is the fact that the colors in the star, along with the logo in the star would be too small on a minted coin. Remember that these aren't going to be anything close to the size in which they appear in the mocked up images. They will be no larger than any other typical coin, and should be perceived as such.

coins_web.jpg

Taking that into account, some adjusting may be necessary if that is to stay.

40mm.jpg

This is the other design with the 'G' inside will look approximately like you see it below. The actual minting may shrink the available color space too, but again that's something we'll find out when the die is made.

secondary40mm.jpg

Above is the 40mm design. Take into account that 2D doesn't provide all the detail that would show everything as it will be, but that's an idea of what to expect.

Edited by Brian - Team A.I.

I think the original image/style will handle shrinking to the actual size will work better. ec40c6f3-ce59-426f-8707-87c286e252c6.jpg

But I'm biased, I like this layout better and the kokapeli (still can't spell it). The Arizona should be as large as possible. the kokapeli is a nice contrast, and being overlayed on the AZ doesn't shrink it. The State Symbols (and jackalope) would looks as well overlayed. You can put the jackalope in the back of the coin as a hidden item.

As for the Star I'd be true to the flag and keep it simple.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Jake and I have been slowly working on this since May. The first part of the design was done late May, and just kept getting put to the back burner with lack of time to work on it, but has since picked up quite a bit of steam and is going strong. It will be a very short period of time before a completed design is in place I believe.

Yea im starting to agree with RG, with the jackalope and the other stuff on the front its looking a bit crowded. maybe back to Dillon Gangs design with the larger state and some other items on the other side of the coin, why cram too much stuff in there?

Chris

That's exactly why the snake on the lower left was removed. The cactus/tree are being reduced, as I think they just became too large. I think the issue is with size, not amount of stuff. All things considered, compared to a few other coins I've seen, this is tame. It's just a matter of balance. Overlaying too much instead of putting them adjacent to one another could lead to far more cluttered of an appearance what what exists on the design we've started. There were other ideas we attempted to incorporate in as a result of some feedback obtained at a recent event gathering. Trying to work in everything quickly became too cluttered.

Some wanted scorpions, other snakes. Ammo cans and rock piles were also on the menu, but trying to accomodate everything would leave it looking like this:

20050826p2g00m0dm020000p_size6.jpg

What needs to be realized is what doesn't go into Gen1 of the coin could be integrated into a seasonal coin, or the next edition of it. It's going to be impossible to make everyone happy on the very first coin put out.

I think the original image/style will handle shrinking to the actual size will work better. ec40c6f3-ce59-426f-8707-87c286e252c6.jpg

But I'm biased, I like this layout better and the kokapeli (still can't spell it). The Arizona should be as large as possible. the kokapeli is a nice contrast, and being overlayed on the AZ doesn't shrink it. The State Symbols (and jackalope) would looks as well overlayed. You can put the jackalope in the back of the coin as a hidden item.

As for the Star I'd be true to the flag and keep it simple.

This combination looks coolest to me. Simpler, cleaner than some of the other mock-ups. Jackalope on the other side would be cool (driving the jeep?). Just requested 5 via your e-mail. :unsure:

How about Dillon's design with the jackalope instead of the Kop........ you know. In other words, the jackalope (same size as the present character, the kop...) switched in?

Simple. Everyone likes the Jackalope.

AZgeocoins.geocoin.net at the top (Marky's tracking site - free!)

Yeah, that's the ticket! :D

But make the jackalope bigger.

Feet even with the bottom of the blue (you already have that) and the "antlers" almost touching the top of the blue.

The large coin looks good, but the realistically sized coin (40mm), you can hardly see the critter.

:)

Or maybe just like it is. It's growing on me....

:)

Edited by nscaler

There's more planned, but I'm waiting for my design cohort to see where it heads. I think it will be a perfect touch to the state side of the coin. Also, keep in mind that if the Jackalope were to be 3D (the plan), detail might be better. We shall see.

Also, after conferring with another cacher, we might go for gc.com tracking. I'm just not sure yet.