Rhino 530

I'm curious about the weather radio in it. I wondering if it just one of those el cheapo models that can hardly pick anything up or worth the money but the new features are definitely a plus. but I hope the price comes out is lower than the one they state.

flri67---------

Looks cool, but I think my old talkabout is just fine, I cant even find anyone on there anyway, well besides kids and spanish speaking people..It is funny to listen to kids play around playing hide and seek...Ah the good old days of using CB on Ch14 playing in the dark trying to find a friend with only sound and a limit on where you could go...anyone else do that?? I mean i'm not old, so its not the old days..I was always the dork who would stand outside with my Radio shack TRC-226 CB trying to talk to truckers and getting "there is a rubber duck out there, anyone hear that?".....HEHE sorry...my life story of being a nerd...

Delay

looks neat. i recently got to play with a friend's two rhino 120's. very cool how you can send someone your coordinates. but unless you know a lot of people with rhino units it's kind of pointless. my big concern on the 530 would be battery life and the inability to swap in a set of fresh AA batteries, at least on the 120 you can do that. the other thing is my 60CS has a lot of buttons, it makes it easy to navigate around (though i'd prefer a few more, user definable buttons) but if you look the 530 has less buttons (very simliar to the 120). while i got the hang of using the stick and menus for most everything in the 120 i'd still prefer a few more buttons. ah well.

i wouldn't turn one down if it fell out of the sky, but there certainly aren't any compelling reasons for me to rush out and replace my 60cs with it.

Edited by scottjl

Garmin 530:

Whopping 5 watts of transmit power (GMRS) means you can now call for help from 12 miles away (transmit power limited to 2 watts in Canada with a range up to 8 miles)

Bold color TFT display makes it easy to see and navigate to family or friends with Rinos at an amusement park, lake, or other outdoor group activity

Automatic route generation, off-route recalculation, turn-by-turn directions with alert tones, and icon-driven menus for finding points of interest (when combined with Garmin’s optional MapSource® City Select® software) navigate you safely to your next outdoor adventure

Mini USB and 56 megabytes of internal memory for rapid download and lots of map storage of Garmin’s entire line of outdoor cartography

Rechargeable internal lithium-ion battery for up to 16 hours of outdoor use

Barometric altimeter provides extremely accurate elevation for hikers and climbers

Electronic compass so you can get a heading when standing still

NOAA weather capability to keep you informed of changes in weather

It looks like a cross between a Rino 130 and a 60CS. Interesting, but I'm with scottjl and RK. The Li battery makes me nervous.

It looks like they used a Vista C dispaly for the new Rino's. Insteresting, in light of the fact that the Rino's are bigger than the 60's.

Display Sizes / Pixels

--- 60CS = 2.2 x 1.5 ..... 240 x 160

- Vista C = 1.7 x 1.3 ..... 220 x 176

Rino 530 = 1.7 x 1.3 ..... 220 x 176

Rino 130 = 1.4 x 1.4 ..... 160 x 160

There is an optional alkaline battery pack, but I wonder how it's configured and whether it's internal or external?

Battery Life = 16 HR (Li-ion battery pack included (Alkaline battery pack optional))

For those interested in the interfaces used:

Separate Serial & USB interfaces = No/ USB Standard, RS232 with optional cable

Contrasting the differences between the 60CS and the Rino 530

Features .............. 60CS .................... Rino 530

Wapoints ............. 1000 ..................... 500

Batteries ............. 2x AA .................... 1x Li-ion (optional alkaline pack)

Battery Life ......... 20 hrs .................... 16 hrs

Display ............... 2.2 x 1.5 ................ 1.7 x 1.3

Pixels ................. 240 x 160 ............... 220 x 176

Weight w/ bat ...... 7.5 oz .................... 10.3 oz

Size .................... 6.1 x 2.4 x 1.3 ....... 7.5 x 2.3 x 1.8

Cursor ................ rocker pad ............. thumb stick

Serial Int ............. yes ....................... w/ optional cable

Ext Antenna ......... yes ....................... no

Thermometer ....... no ........................ yes

Glide Ratio ........... yes ....................... no

Calendar ............. no ......................... yes