What Was That

no. cachers are encouraged NOT to leave food, gum, or anthing else that might attract critters to a cache. there have been some interesting threads showing pictures of containers that have been destroyed by animals looking for food. sometimes, just having a container that still smells like the food it once contained is enough to attract curious animals.

The very first geocache contained the famous "can of beans."

If you hide a new cache, and list a food item among the contents, publishing your cache may be delayed until you remove that from your cache. So, don't do that.

I've seen too many examples of all sorts of animals tearing apart cache containers, just to get at something that smelled. Scented candles, doggy treats, you name it.

My favorite (?) memory of food in a cache is memorialized in this log from nearly three years ago. I find the cache with no problem, open it up and read the logbook (this was back in the days when people wrote stories in logbooks). The previous finder wrote a long story about how they were surprised by a bear on the way to the cache. Then they recorded their trades: "Took map and kid's toy, left coffee and sample-size deoderant."

I quickly looked around me before I traded those items out of the cache!

I have left a sealed Pez dispenser with candies in a cache.

Was it in an Uncle Sam dispenser? I found one of those once.

I threw the candy away, but I recycled the dispenser, I think. Or maybe I ate the candy and threw the dispenser away, I can't remember.

Don't think so. I believe it was a "Disney" themed Pez. We are going to the see the "House of Mouse" next month, so most of my swag has been Disney oriented.

After we left it, I had one of those "Oh Shoot!" moments and debated about hiking back, but I figured nothing would get to the candies sealed in plastic inside an ammo can.

PEZ Trader Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3d-e2135c3a5b28

Some of the copy reads:

"....This cache is intended to be an opportunity to trade PEZ dispensers. My son collects them and I thought this might be a fun way to add to his collection. Please bring a PEZ dispenser of any vintage, new or used and take one from the cache! I started this cache out with some Winnie-the-Pooh series dispensers....."

have you ever found old food ina cache before

Yep. We have found Pez, Starburst that were hard as rocks, and a stick of gum. We always remove them and deposit them in the trash.

One notable item we found in the middle of bear country was a half used tube of lip balm for treating coldsores. Ewww. Imagine if the bears found it. I think a bear with a herpetic infection would be quite angry, not to mention that they would probably spread the infection to their own nether regions thereby increasing their anger exponentially. (Okay so that part probably wouldn't happen...but ewww.)

Margo

What about a can of SPAM?

That should qualify because it isnt food, it will last forever and nobody or critter will eat it. :laughing:

Hey now, a can of SPAM sliced and fried on a cold morning around a campfire really does hit the spot. It's not really as bad as everyone gives it credit for......but I still can't bring myself to crack open a can if I'm not at a campsite.

I'm amazed! "What Was That" is in no way related to food in caches. Yet the thread procedes as every food in cache thread before it has, we now enter the "Markwell" stage. :laughing:

OT, nope never found old food in a cache.

I disagree, you could, in theory say that about food that has been left too long. IE what is that molding mass in the bottom of the ammo box, I think it was food at one time.

Just a thought. ;)

That should qualify because it isnt food, it will last forever and nobody or critter will eat it. ;)

Hey now, a can of SPAM sliced and fried on a cold morning around a campfire really does hit the spot. It's not really as bad as everyone gives it credit for......

Especially if you put it between two Twinkies ! :laughing:

Man, I'm gettin a stomacheache just THINKING about that.....

Wasn't there an old thread about the importance of leaving food in the cache so the hamster doesn't starve?

feed for the food? :laughing:

How long can a hamster live in an ammo box without anything to eat?

This has been covered in other topics, where I've reported on the results of field testing. Please don't remind me about the winter caching experiment. ;) And please, think positive. Don't say "how long can a hamster live....?" but rather "if I challenge myself to get there quickly enough, this will be a meaningful FTF."

That should qualify because it isnt food, it will last forever and nobody or critter will eat it. :laughing:

Hey now, a can of SPAM sliced and fried on a cold morning around a campfire really does hit the spot. It's not really as bad as everyone gives it credit for......but I still can't bring myself to crack open a can if I'm not at a campsite.

when my little neice/sister was baby that was all she would eat for meat....spam and green beans thankfully she out grew it cause I was really tired of eating it....I even had to make er spam sandwiches when she went to daycare.

Not exactly food, but: we recently found some some rolling papers and loose tobacco (the legal kind) in a ziploc in a cache. Shortly afterwards, when we were driving away, a very tiny chipmunk ran across the street in front of us.

me: "I would have thought that this year's baby chipmunks would be pretty much full-sized by now."

the other crab: "He probably stunted his growth by smoking the tobacco he finds in caches."

I'm amazed! "What Was That" is in no way related to food in caches. Yet the thread procedes as every food in cache thread before it has, we now enter the "Markwell" stage.  :unsure:

OT, nope never found old food in a cache.

I disagree, you could, in theory say that about food that has been left too long. IE what is that molding mass in the bottom of the ammo box, I think it was food at one time.

Just a thought. <_<

Oh I get it now. Doh!

I found a cricket in a cache once. I figured it was food, so I ate it. Does that count?

Okay, so it was chocolate covered and it came with a button that I wore on my pack for a long time.

Oh, and yes, we've found plenty of other foods in a caches. Even a can of Spam that was a TB. I can't remember if it was Kate or Ashley. No, I didn't eat that.

I have eaten other foods out of caches. I guess I like to live on the edge.

There are plenty of other threads about this same topic.

That should qualify because it isnt food, it will last forever and nobody or critter will eat it. :anitongue:

Hey now, a can of SPAM sliced and fried on a cold morning around a campfire really does hit the spot. It's not really as bad as everyone gives it credit for......

Especially if you put it between two Twinkies ! :unsure:

Man, I'm gettin a stomacheache just THINKING about that.....

Just kidding. I like the stuff. It goes with camping like the word Coleman.

Fry it up in the morning and you really have something there.