I Need A Gc Mentor In Chicago, Il

PurpleLover

Join the forums over at The Geocachers of Northeastern Illinois (GONIL) website. Let people know what area you live in and that you're looking for some help. I'm sure you'll get a few people willing to help.

Also, there is one of our monthly Ice Cream Socials coming up next week in Oak Park...stop by and meet a bunch of Chicago area cachers!

Welcome to the game!!

Edited by Stunod

I'd also offer up the Midwest forum on this site, but the Chicago people rarely frequent it. GONIL is a much better avenue.

Welcome!

I mentored somebody once. They she found more caches than me. Then she found a companion through caching. Sheesh. :laughing:

Edited by Markwell

This isn't the advice you asked for but it may help.

Start with the 1/1's (difficulty/terrain). Look for caches that have been found recently and stay away from micros.

This should improve your odds of finding the cache. It won't take long until you develop ye ol' geosense and can confidently move on to the harder ones.

Also maybe try sneaking out of the house without the kid to find one first - then return with him and feign amazement. :huh:

I did that once and it wasn't such a good idea. I searched for Flood Control and it was too funny. I was unable to find the cache and the gpsr was beeping like crazy telling me I was dead on. I then renavigated and ended up on I-55 and it kept telling me to make a right hand turn where there was no exit. I gave up after an hour or so!

This isn't the advice you asked for but it may help.

Start with the 1/1's (difficulty/terrain). Look for caches that have been found recently and stay away from micros.

This should improve your odds of finding the cache. It won't take long until you develop ye ol' geosense and can confidently move on to the harder ones.

Yep, I have decided that I will ONLY search for recently found caches until I get the hang of it.

So, PurpleLover...are you going to attend the August Ice Cream Social next Wednesday? It's a great way to meet up with other locals...I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Yes.. I agree with Stunod.. (did I just say that in public?)... come to the Ice Cream Social and meet some cachers like me and FallenFaery and Stunod and well.. lots of people.

We are also having a picnic on Sept 17th... newbie Q&A and fun stuff... hope to see you at one of the events.

So, PurpleLover...are you going to attend the August Ice Cream Social next Wednesday?  It's a great way to meet up with other locals...I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

I won't be able to make the ice cream social next Wednesday.

We are also having a picnic on Sept 17th... newbie Q&A and fun stuff... hope to see you at one of the events.

Now that sounds promising since it is a Saturday.