Free Cache Containers

PACDADDY

For free :mad: containers try asking for empty film containers at a 1 hour photo the will usualy give you all you want

also try a pharmist. They get pills in 1 qt. plastic bottles that are water tight ,they may give them to you if you ask nice :mad:

Edited by PACDADDY
Ahh there's nothing like a newbie who re-discovers an old idea and calls it his own :mad:

Now if someone would figure where to find an abundance of free larger containers, now that would be cool :mad: I'm tired of finding film cans. :mad:

It's easy. Find a letterbox and recycle it into a geocache....the stamp is a bonus.

KIDDING...I'm kidding!!!!

Theres nothing wrong with someone new discovering something on their own and telling the rest of us.

As for free larger containers? They are all around. Peanut butter jars, coffee cans, all those things you might normally toss in the garbage.

You just can't beat a good ole .50 cal ammocan though.

Being pretty new we haven't placed a cache yet - but what about the plastic coffee cans that Folgers is using now?  They're red, but could be spray painted for better camo.  Has anyone tried/encountered them?  My office buys the big wholesale-club size, but I don't know how well they'd work for a cache.

We've found three or four of them. I always expect them to be either animal-chewed (becasue of the scent) or soggy inside, but so far every one of them has been in surprisingly excellent shape.

(I felt like such a moron the first time I found one -- it was fairly large, and I have kind of small hands, and it was all I could do to barely stretch my hand across the lid -- I twisted and turned it about a dozen times, but it didn't come off. Eventually it dawned on me that it was a lift-off lid, not a twist-off one. <_< [i drink hot chocolate, not coffee!])

edit: I just went back and checked the logs for the cache I was describing above, which I found last fall. Apparently it didn't survive the winter too well; by spring there were reports of dampness. The coffee container has now been replaced with an ammo can.

Edited by the hermit crabs

(I felt like such a moron the first time I found one -- it was fairly large, and I have kind of small hands, and it was all I could do to barely stretch my hand across the lid -- I twisted and turned it about a dozen times, but it didn't come off.  Eventually it dawned on me that it was a  lift-off lid, not a twist-off one.  :unsure:  [i drink hot chocolate, not coffee!])

edit: I just went back and checked the logs for the cache I was describing above, which I found last fall.  Apparently it didn't survive the winter too well; by spring there were reports of dampness.  The coffee container has now been replaced with an ammo can.

:o The first time I brought one of those coffee cans home, I had the same problem! I started cursing the coupon I'd found for the "new" package before I managed to pry off the lid <_<

I had wondered both about water tightness and the scent thing... I guess free isn't always good! Thanks for the info, we'll keep an eye out for other possible unique containers!

Six ammo cans for $20 sounds like a bargain to me - just over $3 apiece for a big sturdy container!

Edited by Team WorldPeaceTurtle
Being pretty new we haven't placed a cache yet - but what about the plastic coffee cans that Folgers is using now?  They're red, but could be spray painted for better camo.  Has anyone tried/encountered them?  My office buys the big wholesale-club size, but I don't know how well they'd work for a cache.

They don't seal all that tight and don't last. If you can hide it where it will not be exposed to the elements it will be OK, otherwise forget it.

is there a place i can get them cheaper

Cheaper than 3 bucks each? Sure, but bring a truck <_< .

I've heard of them being sold for a buck or two at gun shows and flea markets, but the Cabela's 6 pack is the best, cheap regular source at the moment. Cheaperthandirt.com was the cheapest for a long time, but they don't carry them right now.

Edited by briansnat
but what about the plastic coffee cans that Folgers is using now?

Recently found a red plastic coffee container that was a new hide in the woods. Some critter beat me to the fist to find, the nerve of that critter. Anyway the critter apparently really liked the rich aroma of Folgers coffee grounds, opened the container, shreaded the plastic log baggie, scattered the cache contents. Critter didn't sign the log so I was first human to find. Like others have said if you re-use a container make sure it is clean and scent free.

Small ammo cans in the DFW area are $3.33 or 3 for $10. Decon kits which are also sealed are $2.50. IMO ammo cans and decons are the only way to go in the woods due to critters. If you hide an ammo can make sure to wash it out well so if your cache gets discovered by bomb sniffing dogs or the like it doesn't get blown up due trace gun powder residue or the like. I like to clean ammo cans with simple green or dish detergent and water.

For free :o containers try asking for empty film containers at a 1 hour photo the will usualy give you all you want

also try a pharmist. They get pills in 1 qt. plastic bottles that are water tight ,they may give them to you if you ask nice <_<

Free is not always a good thing :unsure: Free can be a very bad thing also :ph34r

As was said before, film can are not waterproof. Drilling holes into any cache in order to hang in a tree is also a bad itea, once they have a hole drilled into them they are usless

I have had good luck with peanut butter jars, but you should wash them and clean them out with some bleach to kill any food odors.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Most of my cache containers are either tennis ball cans or plastic Hellman's Mayonnaise jars. It is nice that the containers are clear and have the cache note visible from the outside.

The only animal nibbled container I ever found was a tennis ball can. I don't put a whole lot of faith in the "used food containers are bad" theory. I have had mice eat plain white utility candles and bars of soap in my cabin and squirrels eat a hole in the cap of a plastic gasoline can, while the can was filled with gas.

Cheaper than 3 bucks each? Sure, but bring a truck <_< .

Evil! Evil! Evil!

Can I forward all complaints from my wife to you?

I'm sitting here trying to figure out the gas money for Fort Polk to go pick up those ammo cans. Of course I'll have to store 500+ ammo cans in my backyard. 120mm cans? Man, them ain't no little cans neither!

EVIL!!!

Decon kits which are also sealed are $2.50.

The downside to Decons is that quite a few people don't take the time to make sure they close - some of them seal so tightly you have to really wait for the sound of it closing. Last one I found was half water half soggy cache swag mess.