Popularity Filter

I can understand how during design the popularity filter (PF) probably seemed like a good idea, but in practice what does it actually accomplish?

Unless set to 100%, the PF nearly useless, since it's not really filtering my personal preferences. In essence, it's simply a random filter. A filter that can change daily or weekly, and according to my tastes has no particular rhyme or reason.

I'd like to see some filtering based on personal preferences. If I hate McDonalds I should be able to filter that category out. I shouldn't have to rely on the fact that the mass appeal is negative. What if I like A&W, but the masses don't?

Basically, too make sure I'm getting everything (not dependent on any sort of mass appeal) I have to set my filter to 100%.

According to the FAQs, Ignore Lists are on the to-do list:

Where are bookmark lists, watch lists, ignore lists, advanced searches, or any other feature currently available on geocaching.com but not here?

Much of the code on Geocaching.com can be used on Waymarking.com and you will begin to see these features added to the Waymarking web site. However, we wanted to ensure that the new features here were working well before implementing other features from the Geocaching.com web site. We do plan to implement these features as we move forward with the project.

According to the FAQs, Ignore Lists are on the to-do list:

Where are bookmark lists, watch lists, ignore lists, advanced searches, or any other feature currently available on geocaching.com but not here?

Much of the code on Geocaching.com can be used on Waymarking.com and you will begin to see these features added to the Waymarking web site. However, we wanted to ensure that the new features here were working well before implementing other features from the Geocaching.com web site. We do plan to implement these features as we move forward with the project.

Ah. Excellent.

I can understand how during design the popularity filter (PF) probably seemed like a good idea, but in practice what does it actually accomplish?

Unless set to 100%, the PF nearly useless, since it's not really filtering my personal preferences. In essence, it's simply a random filter. A filter that can change daily or weekly, and according to my tastes has no particular rhyme or reason.

I'd like to see some filtering based on personal preferences. If I hate McDonalds I should be able to filter that category out. I shouldn't have to rely on the fact that the mass appeal is negative. What if I like A&W, but the masses don't?

Basically, too make sure I'm getting everything (not dependent on any sort of mass appeal) I have to set my filter to 100%.

The popularity filter is going to go under surgery soon, as there are some issues with it that need to be addressed. I'm heading out now, so I don't have time to explain, but thought that it might be at least helpful to know that we are aware that the pop filter isn't really all that helpful at this point and have plans to fix it.

Would it be possible to sort the categories by popularity rather than filter them out? Have the most popular ones at the top of the list, with the McDonalds (sorry) at the bottom of the list? Or is that already possible and Im just a slow learner?

Various sorts for the directory, including one by popularity are planned. We are likely going to make a popularity sort the default, instead of the # of waymarks as it presently is.