What Type Of Pda Do You Use ?

snouts

Dell Axim X30 / GPXSonar.

My GPS has mapping and autorouting so my PDA is strictly for cache information and notes. Also makes a handy-dandy preview screen for my digital camera photos. I pop the SD card in from the camera when I want to see a picture a bit larger than that 1" screen - for example I use it to check on nighttime skyline photos for blurriness.

I use my T-Mobile Sidekick when I'm out caching. Doesn't run CacheMate, but I've found it does what I need it to do. I can send cache listings to the device and have them with me all the time. Since the Sidekick has internet access, for caches in urban areas or up many mountains with cell towers I am able to log my finds while still at the cache site. Works great!

Me too...

I love my Sidekick II!

Its perfect. You can take pics, access entire html pages of caches and log your visit all at the cache site.

Its perfect

I Just ordered a PalmOne Tungsten E. I will have it on Thursday.

I sure hope this is a good PDA for geocaching.

Im sure ill be asking LOTS of questions on this forum when I get it and try and use it

J

You'll have no problem with the Tungsten E--it's more than adequate for geocaching. When you get it, you may find more CacheMate help in the hardware forum. Run a search there, and be sure to use the CacheMate FAQ from Smittyware and we have a tutorial on our site as well.

:o Well, after a few days of reading your suggestions and observations I did it. I bought a Palm 515 off of ebay for $78 - it came with an extra sync cradle, a really nice leather case etc.

Within a day I'd downloaded/purchased GSAK and cachemate. I've spent some time learning to move between the pocket queries, GSAK, cachemate, Map Send and MS Streets & Trips.

Awesome !

Only thing is, I've already got over 500 caches in the Pilot - but I haven't had a chance to get out and really 'use it' since I got it !

That'll end this weekend !

Thanks alot to everyone :blink: that gave suggestions !

Snouts

:o Well, after a few days of reading your suggestions and observations I did it. I bought a Palm 515 off of ebay for $78 - it came with an extra sync cradle, a really nice leather case etc.

Within a day I'd downloaded/purchased GSAK and cachemate. I've spent some time learning to move between the pocket queries, GSAK, cachemate, Map Send and MS Streets & Trips.

Awesome !

Only thing is, I've already got over 500 caches in the Pilot - but I haven't had a chance to get out and really 'use it' since I got it !

That'll end this weekend !

Thanks alot to everyone :blink: that gave suggestions !

Snouts

At that price you won't be crying too much if you drop it off a cliff or into a lake. There are other, better, PDAs, but running around with them out in the woods is risky.

Best of luck. Drop me a note if you need help with CacheMate or GSAK.

Me, too. Bit the bullet and bought an IBM WorkPad c500 (same as Palm m500) on eBay for a whopping $39, with cradle and charger. Got a metal case, USB sync cable, three stylii and a pad of screen protectors at Big Lots for $15 more. Had a spare SD 32 Mg card for it.

Happy as two clams.

Now have the nearest 100 unfound caches from home installed, am writing PQs for my next two road trips, and found bazillions of Palm freeware goodies to download as well.

I may like this. ;)

OK, the bottom line here is that virtually ANY PDA will work for this game. So if simply going paperless is your major criteria then I would have to recommend that you go with whatever you can get for the least amount of money - period.

One minor caveat I might add, however, is the clarity of the screen in the daylight. I used a B&W Palm Zire 21 for a year or so without any problems whatsoever. Then I decided to upgrade some to a Zire 31 with a color screen. The color screen is very difficult to read in the daylight, usually finding me scrambling for shade in order to see it. I really believe that I was much better off, at least as far as this game goes, with the less expensive B&W PDA. This is one instance where the higher priced item WAS NOT the better choice.