What Type Of Pda Do You Use ?

snouts

We're contemplating getting a PDA to enjoy the 'paperless' caching experience. I'd like to be able to download waypoint info w/comments etc to the pda - but it doesn't have to come directly from the internet.

We're unlikely to ever want to use it to connect directly to the internet, take photos, make sound recordings or shoot alien :mad: saucers out of the sky - so I don't think we need the 'latest & greatest'. But I also want something that will do the trick reliably.

What do you use ? What are the upsides ? downsides ? Would you get it again (all other things being equal)

TIA

Snouts

I have a Palm Zire 21 that I got for $50 off eBay new in the box and I use Cachemate and GSAK. It works perfect for just geocaching. Very intuitive to learn and I don't have a need for the other bells and whistles (although I am enjoying some of the other organizational features and have loaded some other software into it, but that's all secondary.) The only thing I'd add is a backlight. You can find a lot of good deals on eBay for the price I paid or even less on some other models.

On these forums people will recommend that your PDA have at least 8Mb, preferably more. The Zire 21 has 8, and that seems to be plenty for me.

Edited to add: I did a lot of research before looking for mine. The majority seemed to recommend Palm devices over PocketPC. Cachemate ($7 and sooooo worth it) is for Palm and is just like having the geocaching.com cache listings on your device.

Edited by Bear Paughs

I already had a Palm M500 when I learned about Geocaching, but it was underused.

Not anymore. I got Cachemate -- best $8.00 I've ever spent on software -- and a hard case for it (at BigLots!).

I've seen them on sale for only $39.00. It is all you need, has a bigger screen than my friend's color Palm, and is easier to read in sunlight that her color Palm.

Palm M515. It has a color display and 16MB of memory. Unlike Garmin GPS units, it accepts SD memory cards, allowing it to hold a bazillion caches.

I bought Cachemate for it. Great little program.

If something happens to my M515, I am getting another one on eBay. It has been trouble-free.

I can see that I need to represent the pocket PC crowd. I use an Ipaq 3955. This is an older pocket PC, but it has Word and excel as well as all my geocaching programs. I bought streets and trips before I started caching so was surprised to find that it included a version for my pocket PC. I also use GPX View to see the cache pages of the caches I am hunting. It has been a life saver, and if I happen to be wating for someone I can start a game up while waiting.

:mad:

I'd been using a Palm m500 (8MB, SD card slot, rechargeable) I picked up on ebay, using either my Garmin Legend or RadioShack Digitraveler GPSr attached to it for CacheMate/CacheNav (great piece of software). Lately, I picked up a pair of Palm m125s (8MB, SD card slot, AAA batteries, screen is physically smaller than m500 but same number of pixels) on ebay so I can take youth groups from my church out geocaching (eventually), and I've started using one of those in the meantime. The stylus stays in the m125 much better than in my m500, which is always threatening to fall out. I got the m125s on ebay for about $15 apiece, plus shipping, with sync cables and BodyGlove cases (and appear to be almost brand new). And my nephew is using a Palm vX (8MB, rechargeable) with Rand McNally Street Finder wrap-around GPSr with CacheMate/CacheNav, which makes a very convenient package (no cables to snag). No real complaints on any of these Palms. Good deals are always popping up on ebay.

Sony Clié, and I just love it. Unfortunately, they don't make 'em any more. If it died, I would look for another brand with a high resolution color screen and removable memory. It's not necessary for geocaching, but it sure makes it useful for other stuff. Like reading novels or playing games on an airplane.

"What do you use ? What are the upsides ? downsides ? Would you get it again (all other things being equal)"

Palm IIIxe

8mb memory (not expandable), uses AAA batteries. sells on ebay for like 20-30 bucks.

8mb is enough for me, I've had 1000-1200 cache pages on it and it was totally full. So of the other III series models had i think 2 or 4mb which might be too small to run correctly.

The biggest complaint I have is that in sub-freezing the screen gets cold and fades out. It returns when it warms up but if I keep it in an outside pocket my coat during winter caching its kinda useless. i think this is a common problem with the older palms using grayscale screens. never had the chance to test it, but I think newer colored don't have this problem. (anyone with a colored zire want to pop that baby for an hour and find out?? :mad: )

yes I'd probably buy another, unless I could get a really good deal on a colored one.

I dug my old Handspring Visor out of a drawer. It's exactly what I need for caching and has a market value of about $50...if it does get broken on the trail I won't be devistated.. It holds far more than any number of caches I've tried to load (presently have a 1000 cache database to match my 60cs). I use GSAK to load it via CacheMate.

Palm M515.  It has a color display and 16MB of memory.  Unlike Garmin GPS units, it accepts SD memory cards, allowing it to hold a bazillion caches.

I bought Cachemate for it.  Great little program.

If something happens to my M515, I am getting another one on eBay.  It has been trouble-free.

Ditto. Palm m515, GSAK and Cachemate.

Since you're a premium member at Geocaching.com, you can download "Pocket Queries" in the GPX format. You load the GPX files from Geocaching.com into GSAK. You can sort and filter the caches a bazillion ways, then export them to Cachemate. GSAK will even load them into the Palm install tool, so that all you have to do is hotsync.

As Langner said, the m515 has a nice, large, bright color screen with a backlight and accepts SD cards. I load my several different databases of caches onto a 256MB SD card and don't use a tenth of the available memory - I have room for a lot more caches! :mad:

I use a Palm IIIxe, but unlike Welch, I haven't noticed any problems when mine got cold. It even took a quick dunking in a nearly frozen river early this year and didn't suffer any ill effects. (Just lucky there, I guess--that the Palm survived and I didn't get frostbite!). I agree with Welch that the 1000-1200 caches I have had saved at any one time is plenty for me.

My husband uses a Zire 71. He has more trouble reading his color screen in full sunlight than I do my non-colorized PDA--however, I really envy him for the lighted screen when we are night caching. In addition to the cache info, he tends to keep about 30-40 of his favorite songs on there also, and still has room to write a few notes when he needs to keep info handy.

I guess if I were do it over, I would try to find something that had the resolution of my screen in sunlight, but the other features that he has.

Uh... the IIIxe does have a backlight. when it turned on, hold down the power button (not tap, that would turn the device off) and the back light will turn on. Its kinda a weird green color, but it works :laughing:

Wow! I hunted EVERYWHERE for that little sucker! I poked every combination of buttons that I could THINK of, I even broke down and looked in all the help files and even the online manual....Welch, three hugs, kisses, or cheers to you (Your choice)!

You are right, it does light. I am doing a little happy dance.

Ya learn something every day if ya aren't careful...

Thanks.

A friend of mine gave us her "needing a new battery M500". One good battery zap and it is back up and working again. CacheMate is our program for that.

I had bought one of those BigLots! hard shell cases for my wife's personal 505 and went back the other day to get one for this one. Wouldnt you know it, they are sold out... What a let down. Those hard shell cases are nice.

like many others here I use the Palm M515. Found geocaching long after I already had this PDA. Now it's cachemate and GSAK, and I don't have to carry paper anymore! Great for last second caching and checking the availablity of a cache before you go there.

Until recently, I used a Palm 505. I recently upgraded to a Treo 650. I have Cachemate loaded on it, but if there is cell reception, it is almost as easy to use the the Geocaching WAP site and get data live. I'm not sure if I'll take the 650 into rugged terrain, though. It's sort of an expensive toy to break.

Edit: To add link and fix typos

Edited by Sputnik 57

I recently upgraded to one of the Palm Tungsten models (don't ask me which one though!) because I broke my last one. For me, the selling point for the higher priced model was the USB connection versus the old serial port + hotsync cradle on the last one.

Like many others, the previous one I had was an old Palm IIIxe. It worked just fine and was actually pretty darn durable. And since it was already old and used when I got it, I wasn't too worried about it getting more scratched up, bumped around, and whatnot. Even though I treated it pretty brutally, it still lasted upwards of a year and more than a thousand cache finds before I finally destroyed it for good (and it wasn't even while I was caching!).

I'm a lot more cautious with the more expensive PDA now. My advice: If you're only using the PDA for geocaching, go cheap. You'll be glad you did when you drop it on a rock, down a hill, or into the river. :huh:

Palm IIIxe with Cachemate. Got it on ebay for $28 and change including shipping. Never used, came with hotsync cradle, instal cd, and Wilson leather case. Make sure that if you are getting one off ebay it includes a way to link to your pc, I saw quite a few that didn't include a cable or cradle. I use GSAK on the PC and the Cachemate program is awesome. :rolleyes:

I use a Palm Vx with both CacheMate and MobiPocket Reader for viewing pocket queries. The Vx is an older Palm model with a shortened battery life. I may soon pick up another Palm with replacement batteries. Oh, I can connect the Palm Vx to the Magellan Meridian using the serial cables and a gender changer, but the GPSr has an SD card. No need to carry more cables or to connect the two in the field.

My boss let me have his old Palm IIIc that the company gave him several years ago. I downloaded GSAK ($20) and Cachemate ($8) and have been amazed at what has opened up in the world of Geocaching. Today I purchased the National Geographic Pocket TOPO map program for downloading National Geographic TOPO maps to the PDA. Tears of joy are rolling down my face as I type this. I have the TOPO map level 5 of San Juan Island, WA, and 600 cache logs in the PDA and I'm not even close to 1/3rd of the memory. Having driven around with paper flying around in the cab of my truck and clipboards trying to slide under the brakes when I take a corner, I highly recommend going paperless..

8mb of ram and don't spend a lot, one good drop and the $300 you spent on a new unit is nothing but a memory.

Dell Axim x50v and X30. I use a CF card GPS with the x50v and a Bluetooth with the X30. This gives me an SD slot on both for the maps. (I like lots of maps.) I use Memory-Map Navigator (Pocket Navigator) for tracking / viewing maps. I also use GSAK to send the webpages for the caches to the PDA.

I use my T-Mobile Sidekick when I'm out caching. Doesn't run CacheMate, but I've found it does what I need it to do. I can send cache listings to the device and have them with me all the time. Since the Sidekick has internet access, for caches in urban areas or up many mountains with cell towers I am able to log my finds while still at the cache site. Works great!

Dell X50v, Blutooth BT-338 receiver (lasts 16+ hours on a single charge and have never seen less than 8 satellites reception on it...), 4gb CF card for music & apps, 1gb SD card for maps and GPX files, Beeline GPX, Pocket Streets, GPS Gate (shares one GPS signal with multiple apps), and of course the ubiquitous GPX Sonar app.

Makes caching fun and always available as I get a new GPX file of closest 500 each week so I am always ready to Cache...

Cheers,

Gadget

Saturday I bought a IQue 3600 that was on clearance for $109 where I work. I just couldn't pass that up :D Today was the first time taking it out in the field using Cachemate and I was impressed. The only problem I had today was I forgot to take the charger with me and the battery ran down pretty quickly and I had to cut my trip short...

I have a Dell PocketPC which I use daily for everything from navigation (Mapopolis) to keeping track of which bills are due this week. I probably have $200 worth of software on it. I added GPXSonar and took it out on a few finds. Having the cache notes available was great. Then I slipped down a steep hill going after a cache last week. Nothing broke, damaged or otherwise harmed, but it did make me dig out my old Palm IIIe. As much as I like my PocketPC, I'm thinking that the Palm will be better suited for field use. Plus the Palm takes AAA batteries and runs a lot longer that the PocketPC. Now I just need to find the dadgum sync cable.

Edited by hacked0ff