Screen Name Swap

Mach 5

There is currently another user on this site that has a screen name that I am interested in, they are an inactive user with only one find that was like 2-3 years ago. Now, if I e-mailed this user and got their account password (assuming they don't want their account), would it be possible to port everything from my current account to another?

Or, simply change screen names on my current account and cancel out the other account.

Another issue, they have a dead e-mail account. So what does geocaching.com do when the account is totally dead? Do the accounts every lapse, or do they ever flag accounts for deletion if the user has not logged in after awhile?

Don't know for sure, but I think you're out of luck.

The thing is, the account does have a history now. That history in theory should be preserved. If you went and deleted the account, what happens to the one cache that they actually logged? What happens if they want to come back next year (it does happen).

Why not just tweak it a little? I could be Mach_Five55 if I wanted to be. Or Mach555 etc.

A long time ago I started on a site called zone.com (The Zone). It was a DOS based gaming site that MS eventually bought up. There was already a player with the screen name "Belgarath", a charcter from a David Eddings fantasy book. So I reversed it and then changed it from Htaragleb to Tharagleb so I could pronounce it.

If you are stuck on using the EXACT screen name I don't see how you are going to get permission. The other person *could* give you the password and you could change his/her name to something else then change yours to the one you want. But if the email addr is invalid you will have a hard time getting in touch. I doubt GC.com will do it without permission from the other person.

Don't know for sure, but I think you're out of luck.

The thing is, the account does have a history now. That history in theory should be preserved. If you went and deleted the account, what happens to the one cache that they actually logged? What happens if they want to come back next year (it does happen).

2 years after my first find in my case!