Earthcache Archiving Date?

I've wanted to get an Earthcache for some time, but the nearest one to me is pretty far away. However, I know that I'll be driving right through it in late September, so I've already planned to log that one then.

Then I hear about Waymarking (which, for the record, I like, though I haven't had much time to really explore it yet). And today, by sheer luck, I read that "from the 1st September all Earthcaches will be submitted as Waymarks". Dang!

Yes, part of the question is because I want the find icon. (but since I'd already planned to go visit this cache in particular, I feel I'm also participating in the proper spirit of the cache itself). But I'm also thinking that there should be some kind of transition period. Perhaps Earthcaches and Locationless caches could all be "loggable" until the end of the calendar year? That gives people plenty of time to bag finds they'd already planned to make (say, for upcoming trips, like mine), and also gives time for people to discover the new site while searching listings on GC.com.

Or is this going to be left entirely up to the Earthcache's owner? (that is, if someone who's got an active, maintained Earthcache on GC.com, they can leave it active and loggable if they so desire)?

I'm the owner of an Earthcache, and have not received any e-mails from the powers that be, about it getting moved to Waymarking.com In contrast, all locationless cache owners have been contacted about this.

SO, I think your ok, for your september trip. I think it will still be a while, before we are forced to move existing virtuals, earthcaches, webcams etc to wm.com Their note, just meant that all NEW ones will go to wm.com starting september 1st

If you want the icon for your stats, you can always log a find on an archived cache (at least most ... I've seen some archived caches that are "locked" ... not sure how that happens.)

I finally did an Earthcache last week mostly for the little icon (ok, I'm petty.) I've got 3 earthcaches of my own and didn't think it would right to log a find on those!