Guidelines?

TeamAO

I'm planning a cache to go on top of a hill that is known for a spectacular view of the Yough Valley. The hill is known as Tunnel Hill, because a Norfolk and Western line (Which recieves almost no traffic, however the do run inspection vehicles every so often to make sure it is safe) runs below it by about 100 feet in elevation through a tunnel that goes straight through the center of the hill. Climbing this hill does not require any walking near train lines, but an extensive hike up an almost cliff side. From the top, if you couldn't see the train tracks way down below you on the one side of the hill, you wouldn't know they were there. I knew of the policy that didn't allow caches within 150 feet of railroad tracks. Elevationally speaking, they fall under the category, but "air miles" possibly a few feet. I'm not sure geocaching.com's official stance on this particular subject. Whether it meant, air miles, or total distance away.

Could a cache be placed at the scenic view on top of the hill even though on a map it may appear to be closer to railroad tracks than it actually is?

Edited by Team AlphaOmega

would the cache be on RR property?

would you have to tresspass RR property to get to the cache?

when looking for the cache could you easially end up on RR property?

If you answered no then you can probably list a cache there. make sure you explain the location in a note or on the cache page, reviewers can only tell so much from maps.

would the cache be on RR property?

would you have to tresspass RR property to get to the cache?

when looking for the cache could you easially end up on RR property?

If you answered no then you can probably list a cache there. make sure you explain the location in a note or on the cache page, reviewers can only tell so much from maps.

I'm not sure if the RxR owns all property through the hill, but lower down the hill, there is a PA State Gamelands boundry tag, which indicates the area I was in is the State Gamelands. But then again, the RxR runs through the gamelands. I don't think that bothers local commissioners too much, because the line is SPARINGLY used. I have never in my life seen a train go on the line, but it is still considered active apparently.

I had a similiar situation with one of my caches and I Googled the railroad line, called the RR office and asked what the status of the line was. They told me the spur was down because one of the trestles had been damaged and the stream that did the damage was a Salmon stream, so they needed 23 permits before they were able to do any work. The guy at the RR office said the permit application would take a minimum of several years. He further said it was probably not going to get fixed due to it being more cost effective to just truck the stuff where it needed to go. So I would call the line and ask if the spur is even active.

The way RR lands were deeded the RR most likely owns the hill above the tracks for a certain distance on either side of the center of the tracks. They may have never enforced this ownership but odds are they do own it.

Is there a way I can find out?

You should be able to go to your county assesors office and look at thier land maps. They keep track of who owns what for tax purposes.