Editing Img Maps

SteveDex

I've searched this forum and the Net.

There are a few free map editing programs that look like they should work but nothing that I have found seems to be able to simply edit and save .img maps. I just want to add/change a few roads to an existing map image, replace the old .img file with the edited one and have it work with Garmin software and have my added/changed roads to be recognizable for routing purposes.

Can this be easily done? If not, I'll quit obsessing over it :D

Also... there are over 1000 .img files in the City Select map folder. How can you identify which maps they are?

Thanks!

Edited by SteveDex

I had heard somewhere that you could reverse-engineer a Garmin .img file using one of the map-making methods, but that when you recreate the file, it will double in size. I cannot confirm it to be so - I've never heard anyone in the forum say they've done it (but I never heard anyone say they were gonna try either).

Here are a few links to point you in the right direction - I'll let you run with the info. Good luck with it and let us know what you find.

cGPSmapper

Map Authoring

Ozi Explorer

MapDekode

GPS Mapping: Make Your Own Maps

Edited by Neo_Geo
I've searched this forum and  the Net.

There are a few free map editing programs that look like they should work but nothing that I have found seems to be able to simply edit and save .img maps.  I just want to add/change a few roads to an existing map image, replace the old .img file with the edited one and have it work with Garmin software and have my added/changed roads to be recognizable for routing purposes.

Can this be easily done?  If not, I'll quit obsessing over it :D

Also... there are over 1000 .img files in the City Select map folder.  How can you identify which maps they are?

Thanks!

I beleive the original version of gpsmapper (0085 ver. ?) could convert a garmin .img file into a MP (Polish Format) file. Using "MapEdit" you could edit the .MP file, add roads etc., and then convert back to a Garmin .img file. The newer version of gpsmapper will not do this conversion, I assume owing to copyright liabilities.

I have used gpsmapper to make my own maps, the only reason for doing so is to create maps with much, much more detail than Garmins. The process is time consuming, and was originally developed for gps enthusiasts in foreign countries where Garmin didn't offer map coverage. The down-side of having more detailed maps is that the files are obviously larger than a typical Garmin file. The up-side is that it is very satisfying to be on your favorite lake following a shoreline and having the gps track follow the shoreline to a T. With Garmin topo, I would frequently find myself tracking "way up" on dry land.

My first map was of Lows Lake in the Adirondacks....Garmin topo is horrible compared to what you can do tracing a standard 1:24K USGS Quad map. Garmin topo eliminated many of the smaller islands, had irregular and "odd" shapes for many of the larger islands, and just plain left out several Kayak/canoe passages altogether.

I would suggest making your own maps for one or several of your favorite areas, but as an alternative to the Garmin maps, it's just simply too much work compared to the ease of buying the available Garmin product. I would also add that although I'm not thrilled with the detail of the Garmin topo, it would be impractical to have all my maps in higher detail. If I did, I would probably only be able to fit a few ny counties in the unit at a time.

Almost forgot the original question.....no, it cannot be easily done, at least not the first time you do it. Once you have gone thru the process , the next map is much mcuh easier.

Edited by stevesisti
I've searched this forum and  the Net.

There are a few free map editing programs that look like they should work but nothing that I have found seems to be able to simply edit and save .img maps.  I just want to add/change a few roads to an existing map image, replace the old .img file with the edited one and have it work with Garmin software and have my added/changed roads to be recognizable for routing purposes.

Can this be easily done?  If not, I'll quit obsessing over it :blink:

Also... there are over 1000 .img files in the City Select map folder.  How can you identify which maps they are?

Thanks!

I beleive the original version of gpsmapper (0085 ver. ?) could convert a garmin .img file into a MP (Polish Format) file. Using "MapEdit" you could edit the .MP file, add roads etc., and then convert back to a Garmin .img file. The newer version of gpsmapper will not do this conversion, I assume owing to copyright liabilities.

I have used gpsmapper to make my own maps, the only reason for doing so is to create maps with much, much more detail than Garmins. The process is time consuming, and was originally developed for gps enthusiasts in foreign countries where Garmin didn't offer map coverage. The down-side of having more detailed maps is that the files are obviously larger than a typical Garmin file. The up-side is that it is very satisfying to be on your favorite lake following a shoreline and having the gps track follow the shoreline to a T. With Garmin topo, I would frequently find myself tracking "way up" on dry land.

My first map was of Lows Lake in the Adirondacks....Garmin topo is horrible compared to what you can do tracing a standard 1:24K USGS Quad map. Garmin topo eliminated many of the smaller islands, had irregular and "odd" shapes for many of the larger islands, and just plain left out several Kayak/canoe passages altogether.

I would suggest making your own maps for one or several of your favorite areas, but as an alternative to the Garmin maps, it's just simply too much work compared to the ease of buying the available Garmin product. I would also add that although I'm not thrilled with the detail of the Garmin topo, it would be impractical to have all my maps in higher detail. If I did, I would probably only be able to fit a few ny counties in the unit at a time.

Almost forgot the original question.....no, it cannot be easily done, at least not the first time you do it. Once you have gone thru the process , the next map is much mcuh easier.

Hi could you briefly write out the process in point form?

You can do non-NT maps. However, if they are routable, you will lose the routing.

So, non-locked, non-NT, non routable maps can be done....

thats not true, you can use mkgmap (open source) to recreate them and not loose the routing. I would never advise to simply recreate a sinlge .img file - there are too many problems associated with this.

You will loose address search however (mkgmap is not doing it 100% correct yet), but you could even make maps routable that were not routable before - this will involve editing in mp however. And with mkgmap there could be problems routing over tile borders. Mkgmap is much better when used with osm binary data, than with polish data - as it is primarily intended as a compiler for osm data (and can do a lot of stuff neither Garmin compilers nor cgpsmapper can do, like different speed on the same road depending on direction (e.g. uphill/downhill) - of course you would need to know the incline direction of the road for that).

You can do non-NT maps. However, if they are routable, you will lose the routing.

So, non-locked, non-NT, non routable maps can be done....

thats not true, you can use mkgmap (open source) to recreate them and not loose the routing. I would never advise to simply recreate a sinlge .img file - there are too many problems associated with this.

You will loose address search however (mkgmap is not doing it 100% correct yet), but you could even make maps routable that were not routable before - this will involve editing in mp however. And with mkgmap there could be problems routing over tile borders. Mkgmap is much better when used with osm binary data, than with polish data - as it is primarily intended as a compiler for osm data (and can do a lot of stuff neither Garmin compilers nor cgpsmapper can do, like different speed on the same road depending on direction (e.g. uphill/downhill) - of course you would need to know the incline direction of the road for that).

Nice to know MapEdit can convert IMG to MP, but when I just did it from one of my maps, I noticed the routing graph was missing. Not a big deal to recreate it, but these folks need pointers to good gpsmapedit, JOSM, and mkgmap tutorials if they want to make routable maps.

Extremecarver, is there an MP2OSM converter available like the OSM2MP one?

Edited by seldom_sn