Can Waymarks Be Placed Away From Home Area?

The waymarks will all be virtuals. We used to be told, "You must only place caches close to home, so you can maintain them"

Does this mean that the old restriction of no longer applies?

There are some great virtuals I've seen in Europe, Africa and Asia!

Edited by Happy Landins

One of the problems I can see with allowing long distance waymark creating is the accuracy of the information that is included in the initial listing. Some detail may only be obtainable if the creator is actually at the scene. Things like suggested parking coordinates, cost of admission, hours open to the public, safety related data, wheelchair friendly, etc. and lets not forget the big one, the waymark coords.

Myself, I would be a little upset if I visited a waymark and it ended up being very lame and did not even come close to it's billing simply because the creator pulled it off the internet or out of a magazine.

Cheers, Olar

I believe with sufficient volume of users, problems of that nature will be sorted out by the voting system (on a category level).

On a waymark-by-waymark basis for bad coordinates, missing "owner", etc...I think a Should Be Archived log type needs to be introduced. Unlike GC.com where each SBA requires immediate attention, maybe a certain # of SBAs in a certain amount of time would finally cause the alert for a staffer instead of relying on the "owner" to pay attention.

I think as long as you've visited it in person, then I see no problem.

Well actually I do see a problem, but I also see a rather larger problem if you don't allow people to waymark away from home.

The problem is a maintenance one. If you're not in the area, you *may* not be able to respond quickly to a changing situation around the waymark (although as long as you pay attention to your logs, I really don't have a problem with this).

The bigger problem with not allowing them, is that it really restricts the Waymarking one can do while away from home. You'd be restricted to only visiting a location that someone else already had been, and then if the locals don't waymark, there is no Waymarking to be done.

Personally I have a few McDonalds waymarks quite a ways from my home coordinates. These are all locations that I've been before, but to be honest I don't see myself returning to anytime soon.

I'll be paying close attention to the logs I get on them to make sure that the information doesn't get too out of date.