Pesonal Coins Trackable On Gc.com?

Kilted Cacher

I recently found out that it may be possible to have your new personal coins tracked on gc.com if you purchase 500 tracking numbers at $1.50 each (total $750). Does anyone have any detailed info on this and how it works? Would it be possible for 5 people to go in together to purchase the 500 tracking numbers and split it 5 ways (100 tracking numbers each) since each tracking number starts with PC (personal coin, i.e PCAB1C, PC12A3, etc) and has just one icon for all personal coins?

I recently found out that it may be possible to have your new personal coins tracked on gc.com if you purchase 500 tracking numbers at $1.50 each (total $750). Does anyone have any detailed info on this and how it works? Would it be possible for 5 people to go in together to purchase the 500 tracking numbers and split it 5 ways (100 tracking numbers each) since each tracking number starts with PC (personal coin, i.e PCAB1C, PC12A3, etc) and has just one icon for all personal coins?

And see, I had heard that you needed to purchase for at least 1,500 coins at $1.50 each for a total of $2,250.00. But I haven't heard anything either way on sharing the cost.

I was going off of information from this thread. From the info there it appears that there might be a new way to track new personal coins. I also received info that said the following:

I started with an e-mail to 'contact@geocaching.com' asking for tracking numbers.  The minimum purchase is 500 numbers at $1.50 each for Personal Geocoins.  For group Geocoins the minimum is 1000 numbers at $1.50 each.  It is my understanding that all "Personal Coins" will start with a "PC" prefix and share one icon.

I hope that helps....

Just wondering if anyone else heard of this, because I am getting ready to approve my design for production and would like to know if this is an option.

A little background on this. About 3 weeks ago, I contacted Groundspeak about buying tracking numbers for our personal coin and was told that they did not allow them for personal coins. I really had my mind set on having our coins trackable on GC.com. So rather than just accept that, I sent a long e-mail in which I detailed why I felt they should allow them. The Groundspeak representative I was talking with said they would present my case to others at Groundspeak.

After some discussion at Groundspeak, they came back with their decision. A compromise was reached, based upon my request and input from Aaron Weed of coinsandpins.com who I was working with on our coin.

The compromise was a change in Groundspeak's policy such that individuals could buy tracking numbers for their coins under a generic "PC" serial number prefix and a generic "Personal Coins" icon. They wanted to have one generic category so that they did use up too many prefixes on personal coins. Groundspeak also decided that for personal coins, they would drop the minimum purchase from 1000 numbers to 500 numbers in order to make it more feasible for individuals.

I hope that helps clarify the events that led up to the policy change. If anyone has any other questions about my interaction with Groundspeak on this subject, please e-mail me and I would be happy to answer if I can.

Jim - of f0t0m0m

Just got this message from Groundspeak:

We are allowing trackable personal geocoins with a 500 minimum. The prefix

will begin with a PC and will be followed with a random code of numbers

and letters. Also, we are not allowing custom icons on personal geocoins,

just the original coin icon.

So it looks like we can now have personal coins that are trackable on gc.com . I am in the process of asking about the sharing of trackable codes amongst other cachers. This will help keep cost down a bit. I plan on having 100 coins made and don't need 500 trackable codes, just 100. When I get an answer I let everyone know. Then I'll be looking for others who want to share the 500 codes.