What's The Best Garmin Gps Unit?

GomezK

We are upgrading units from a garmin eTrex Vista and a garmin GPSmap 76 and are going to use the money to purchase a new unit. Any suggestions on a good garmin that will do auto navigation and geocaching? We were also thinking about purchasing a garmin 18 for the laptop to go along with the new unit. Please share you comments. Number 1 on our list is the 60cs!

If you like the layout of the 76 series, or more to the point DON'T dislike it, there is absolutely NO reason to get the 60 over the 76CS, the 76CS has twice the memory as well as actually having a usable basemap, plus it floats. It is a no brainer. If you ever decide to mount it to an ATV/motorcycle the mounts made for the 76 series are alot more secure as well.

Best being relative here is my list in order of "Best".

76C

76CS (extra sensors wastes batteries.)

60C

60CS

Legend C

Vista C

GPS V.

In that order for both hand held and auto-routing.

It's pretty much in memory order. With better battery life over extra sensors. Flip the C and CS and the Vista and the Legend for a list in order of Price determining what's best.

^^^^^ With someone that has hit the "reply" button over 12,000 times, their post MUST be valued. But with having the extra sensors, you could shut them off to save batteries and turn them on when needed. I've only had my 60CS for a few days and already value the battery wasting sensors.

Having read most of his postings regarding gps units, especially Garmin, yeah I value his opinion/experience.

My 76cs is normally plugged into the car so batteries are a non-issue.

I've had my 60CS for about 17 months.

I'm starting to think, "boy, I wish my GPSmap 60CS had a MP3 player", or "it would be nice if it played 'Lord of the Rings' off of an SD card".

I guess it is a pretty complete GPS unit if I'm wishin' it had an MP3 player too.

PS: Yeah, Yeah, I know Lowrance units have MP3 players.

i replaced my vista (which i had for about 5 years or so) last month with a 60cs and all i'm very happy with the switch. i considered the 76cs but didn't like the screen below the buttons. ok. call me silly. didn't think i needed the 115M of ram either (and i don't). there really wasn't anything else the 76 had going for it over the 60. don't need tide prediction and the larger basemap didn't mean much since i bought cityselect anyway.

nice thing about garmin's web site is the easy comparison you can make between their products. just select the link from any product detail page and pick a few units to compare. btw. i paid $370 for mine from buy.com, so shop around for a good price (certainly don't pay msrp)!

good luck with the switch!