Even Reviewers Have A Life

mtn-man, in all my dealings with him, has been fair and consistent.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1660533

Or random and a total liar.

Your mileage may vary.

In that thread he admits to making a mistake and yet you continue to abuse him. I would say it doesn't reflect well on you. He comes out looking pretty good. Next time I wouldn't link to something that makes you look silly.

In that thread he admits to making a mistake and yet you continue to abuse him. I would say it doesn't reflect well on you. He comes out looking pretty good. Next time I wouldn't link to something that makes you look silly.

Oh, really? Which mistake does he own up to?

The one where he states that new access to the geocaches on Jerimoth Hill isn't geocaching related?

The one where he says that a daily aquarium is the equivalent of an access trail previously open only 2-3 times per year?

Or the one where he says that the highpointers aren't discussing the new Jerimoth Hill changes (even though if it weren't in their forum, it's Item #1 on their blog-like front page that allows followup comments)?

He continued to invite abuse by putting on the airs and not humbling himself in the presence of such overwhelming evidence against him. By quoting guidelines and publicly declaring his intention to report my post, he wasn't owning up to his mistake but attempting to sideline the issue in favor of trumping me. A real apology was in order. I've been playing nice around here for quite some time and he just goes and craps all over a problem I had with having my post moved out of the General Forum (almost immediately after explicitly stating in the thread for a very logical reason why it should remain General).

Regardless of what "image" I come across as, the "content" is still clear and for that reason I'll always link to content important to the issue. ...or you can just focus on the image and dismiss me because it serves your own desires better.

Either way, I wouldn't yell at him or threaten him if he came to the same event as me. I would just probably choose not to talk with him.

The topic is about saving debates with reviewers and moderators for discussion in the proper place, and allowing those volunteers to enjoy attending a geocaching event without fear of having to confront those sometimes unpleasant issues in person. A discussion of an individual beef with an individual forum moderator is off-topic. Such complaints should be addressed separately, preferably by writing to Groundspeak.

There will be no further discussion of Rhode Island's highpoint in this thread, nor about any of the forum threads which discussed that issue, nor about any other individual fact-specific issues. Please post on-topic.

Something to consider at an event when approaching a reviewer/cacher. (this works in CO because we use name tags. If you don't you should start.) Look at the persons name tag and treat them accordingly. If my name tag says Co Admin then I am there as a volunteer reviewer and feel free to ask me questions regarding cache submissions and other Geocaching.com business, but be nice about it. If my name says LaPaglia then I am there as a cacher to have fun and not work. Treat me that way.

Its a small thing but it makes the reviewers lives easier.

Now having said the above my name tag always says Co Admin/LaPaglia because I have no problems with Colorado cachers being abusive or rude. Thanks Colorado.

Michael

Now having said the above my name tag always says Co Admin/LaPaglia because I have no problems with Colorado cachers being abusive or rude. Thanks Colorado.

Mine just says mtn-man usually. Well, usually. :mad: :mad:

I have been to event caches in Maryland, Colorado, Tennessee, Alabama and of course in Georgia. I have attended all three GeoWoodstock events too. I have never had anyone treat me bad or give me grief. I don't mind answering questions and some great dialog comes from it. It is fun at times as well, since we can make little "reviewer type" jokes back and forth. One of the fun things to say when going out after an event with a group to find a few caches is, "You know, if we don't find this darn cache I'll just archive it when I get home." Everyone knows I'm just joking.

It is nice to just chat though. I would say that about 90 percent of the chat at events for me is just chat and 10 percent is reviewer questions. It has been a treat and an honor to meet so many cachers.

Nice tip, Lapaglia. I will try that if I attend events again in the future.

One thing that I tried at the last large event that I attended: along with three other reviewers, I participated in a panel discussion about cache review issues that was moderated by CYBret, the Dean of Geocacher University. This session was attended by more than 100 people and was very well received. I was *happy* to answer their questions during "official time."

I even made a point of changing my shirt from the one I was wearing to associate me with my player account, to one that is only worn by Groundspeak volunteers. See the change in personalities? It really is two different hats, even though I'm wearing the same hat. :mad: And you know what? The vast majority of attendees could appreciate the difference. It is the small minority who don't, which make events so challenging for me.

Before the Seminar - let me be a fool:

321e466a-8397-4411-800e-46f376a6dc71.jpg

During the Seminar - I am acting official:

99e2cf75-fc62-4659-a116-34c5eb2eb739.jpg

Edited by Keystone
And this is me at the Geobash saying....

IMG_2626.jpg

I want YOU..... to go change your shirt.

dang smelly leprechaun shirt!

Bret

So Bret, you only own one shirt? and change the patch instead?

That's right, and only one hat too, if you noticed.

When I'm doing official Geocaching.com moderation bidness, I wear it backwards.

When I do official Geocacher University moderation bidness, I wear it forwards.

I also wear it sideways when I'm bustin' phat rhymes as "Snoop Cachey Cache."

Bret

You know, it’s really sad sometimes.  I was thrown under the bus today for temporarily closing a topic.  I even asked people to go out and go geocaching for the day.  Instead, one person decided to indirectly crucify me for closing the topic so the ultimate subject of the topic could enjoy his weekend.  We can’t have that now can we...
Keystone Posted: Aug 23 2005, 03:45 PM 

Forum Moderator

The topic is about saving debates with reviewers and moderators for discussion in the proper place, and allowing those volunteers to enjoy attending a geocaching event without fear of having to confront those sometimes unpleasant issues in person. A discussion of an individual beef with an individual forum moderator is off-topic.... 

Back on topic for a moment: Is a discussion of an individual beef with an individual forum poster also off-topic in this thread? The sense of a double standard for Groundspeak volunteers participating in a forum, regardless of which hat they're wearing at the time, is part of what sometimes makes it hard to separate the two roles.

I don't mean this as snide as it may sound, but in many cases, what goes around, comes around. Treat other people as you want to be treated. (Yes, I don't always do that myself when the emotions are running high, but when it comes back to bite me, I know who's fault it is - my own). As far as carrying irritation beyond the forums and into an event or someone's personal life, that's just wrong. It would be like stalking the waiter who gave you bad service at a restaurant.

I also couldn't hope for a better reivewer than New York Admin - he (she?) is patient, communicates well, and never loses his cool. He's also been a great advocate for geocaching with land managers in New York State - we owe him a lot. I hope I meet him or her at an event sometime so that I can say "thanks".

If I were to meet someone who was a complete jackass in some aspect of geocaching be it approving, finding, the forums, or as a reformed cache maggot they would have about 30 seconds to change my impression at the event or I would treat them like the jackass they are. Sweeping things under the carpet in the name of peace and harmony and pretending things are all ok, serves no higher purpose but it does let nasty people get away with being nasty more often.

In that vein I have heard that upinyachit was a decent person, in person, but that his forum skills were lacking. Sounds like he made good use of his 30 seconds when the time came. However I don't see him posting either.

If I were to meet someone who was a complete jackass in some aspect of geocaching be it approving, finding, the forums, or as a reformed cache maggot they would have about 30 seconds to change my impression at the event or I would treat them like the jackass they are. Sweeping things under the carpet in the name of peace and harmony and pretending things are all ok, serves no higher purpose but it does let nasty people get away with being nasty more often...

Well, Renegade, I disagree with you there. Using my bad service in a restaurant metaphor, if you ran into the waiter at a party outside of work and he acted like a jerk at the party, then you might be justified by responding in kind (although I think I'd be inclined to just walk away). But if he was neutral in his behavior at the party, I don't think you'd be justified in treating him poorly because he gave you bad service in the restaurant.

It's not sweeping things under the carpet in the name of peace and harmony (I've rarely been accused of that). It's recognizing that behavior is situational - people behave differently under different circumstances.

...It's not sweeping things under the carpet in the name of peace and harmony (I've rarely been accused of that). It's recognizing that behavior is situational - people behave differently under different circumstances.

KT, we are not as far apart as it seems. There is nothing you said that I don't believe. You have to factor in everything. Friends, family, reputation, how they treated you when you were a nothing, how they treat the shoe boy, did they mean to splash the kid standing by the puddle, interesting the abuse they heaped on the waiter, do they dodge tax and whine about the poor not paying and so on. In time you have a lot of evidence. With enough evidence not even the 30 seconds is going to save them if they play it perfectly. Still if they play the 30 seconds right it might buy them 30 more.

To be fair in the past I've had to use my 30 seconds to applogize. It's a good use of your 30 seconds, especially when you know you need it.

Well quite simply put...they are reviewers. They take time out of their lives to review and approve, or disapprove caches. They are given a set of guidelines to go by and they go by those guidelines to the best of their ability.

They do a valuable job for the community with very little praise and no pay. They withstand ridicule and critisism on a daily basis. Makes you wonder why they do it in the first place. Surely not for the occassionaly praise they get. :laughing:

Of course anytime the subject of a reviewer is brought up, we have all the miscontents of GC.com piling on (Why don't these people go somewhere else?). What we should have is a wall of support for these people.

Yes...Reviewers have a life. However, I'm sure they wonder everyday why they give a part of that life to do what they do.

Next time you see one, shake their hand and tell them you appreciate what they do. I'll bet it will go a long way with them. They have certainly gone a long ways to make this game/hobby/sport possible for you.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo