On The Cover Of Today's Cacher

El Diablo

I'll nominate mtn-man.

Why? His was one of the first names I became aware of after I started Geocaching. I nominate him because of his hard work and dedication to the whole world of geocaching. He's an approver, a forum moderator (here), a cache hider and finder.

He not only approves for his entire region, but all of Minnesota too!

It must take large amounts of time to be so familiar with 2 regions nearly a 1000 miles apart, and so vastly different. Knowing all the parks and being familiar with all those DNR rules, regulations, policies, and so on for 2 completely different states is amazing.

Its also very time consuming to cover all the different local forums that he does, and stay up to date on those different locals' boards topic, and provide advice at each of them. Finding time to sleep must be quite the task!

And last but surely not least- If it wasn't for mtn-man - I wouldn't have the opportunity to hunt nearly so many caches, with him having been the approver of most of KingB's 750+ cache hides.

Yes, mtn-man is a great guy, who's job takes him all over the country. Not only have I had the chance to meet him and cache with him, but I've been fortunate to have done so in 5 different states, none of them within 800 miles of his home.

I remember some time ago someone in the #geocaching chat room questioned mtn-man about how he could review caches in so many areas. The discussion came to a quick end when mtn-man was able to accurately describe many details of the person's local area. <_<

How about a bunch of pictures of say 20-30 of them w/no names, just numbers and inside the mag a list of names with letters. Then we get to play match the pic to the name, send in the completed list and whoever gets the most correct gets a prize! (sorry, it's really late and I'm sleep deprived.....) ;)

(unless of course u guys like the idea and then it's brilliant!) ;)

I like this idea, allows for more than one person on the cover.

I'm rather surprised no one has nominated Keystone. If you have privately, I am doing so publically now (with permission.)

Keystone has done wonders for our area, helping with approvals, and offering insight. And quite frankly, he's one of the funniest cachers I've been privelaged to meet.

981c9a8a-feec-403f-a0c4-971544e42ebf.jpg

I vote Electric Mouse......

Aside from being our local approver - this person is quite often the voice of reason here in the forums and is rather dedicated to local groups and the sport as a whole. Attends local events and doesn't mind educating folks. Goes the extra mile to be friendly.

If the mouse consents then a picture can be found....

I'm rather surprised no one has nominated Keystone. If you have privately, I am doing so publically now (with permission.)

Keystone has done wonders for our area, helping with approvals, and offering insight. And quite frankly, he's one of the funniest cachers I've been privelaged to meet.

We have a winner!!

This will be a perfect cover for Toda's Cacher, and it depicts a great representative of Groundspeak.

Everyone that nominated a reviewer can send me an email at jerry@todayscacher.com and I'll send you a copy of the first printed issue.

El Diablo

I nominated a reviewer, but I've already got a copy of the fisrt printed issue of Today's Cacher. So, with El Diablo's permission I'm going to pass my copy onto the first person who send me an email requesting it.

Congrats to Keystone!

Edited by Vargseld? ™

Thank you to El Diablo and my other friends at Today's Cacher for deciding to feature that nice photo of me on the cover! And thank you to my buddy 4leafclover for nominating the photo.

The photo was taken on one of my most epic geocaching days ever. To go along with the cover photo, I would be glad to help with an article that tells the story of that day, or to answer a question or two about my volunteer work for Groundspeak, or both.

I actually wanted to use that photo for the next on line issue, but looking at it...we are debating on using it for the next printed version coming out in October. That would give you plenty of time to get your article together. Well not plenty of time...2 weeks.

El Diablo

I actually wanted to use that photo for the next on line issue, but looking at it...we are debating on using it for the next printed version coming out in October. That would give you plenty of time to get your article together. Well not plenty of time...2 weeks.

El Diablo

Call me old fashioned but this kind of minutia is possibly best served in Emails and/or PMs.

Looks like this thread can be closed as it purpose has been fulfilled.

Just an opinion.

El Diablo

Call me old fashioned but this kind of minutia is possibly best served in Emails and/or PMs.

Looks like this thread can be closed as it purpose has been fulfilled.

Just an opinion.

I appreciate your opinion.

El Diablo

I actually appreciated this topic. It was great to see the nice things so many people had to say about the folks that give their personal time to the cachers out there. Hydee, Keystone, OpinionNate, Quiggle, ~erik~, Team Misguided, LaPaglia, Moun10Bike, Electric Mouse and all of the other team of reviewers are all winners. It is an honor and a pleasure to work with them on a daily basis.

One thing I like about Keystone's photos is the genuine smile. The great about geocaching is the fun. The smile seen in Keystone's and Moun10Bike's photos can only come from doing something you really love and enjoy.

There were no losers in this topic. I cannot wait to read the article. Congrats again Keystone.

The smile on my face in the close-up posted by Joe Smith is because the cupcakes packed in for my friend's riverside birthday celebration survived a six-mile hike and a horrific terrain 4 bushwack.

The smile on my face in the winning photo posted by 4leafclover is because I am still able to walk, seven miles after that.

Both photos were taken the same day, and I look forward to writing more about that. By all means, El Diablo, contact me offline to discuss deadlines and details. But it's always fun to talk about a great day of geocaching, as captured by the photos we post. Volunteer reviewers are no different that way.

I nominated a reviewer, but I've already got a copy of the fisrt printed issue of Today's Cacher. So, with El Diablo's permission I'm going to pass my copy onto the first person who send me an email requesting it.

Congrats to Keystone!

What, no one wants my copy? It's a very good read, I promise! It's still available to the first person who requests it.

Since this thread has served it's purpose I'm going to derail it with a larger list.

First Moun10bike remains on my list. Someone said Electric Mouse and I agree. Keystone was a good choice. ~Eric~ was another great suggestion. That's enough to get you through the year if you want to stick with a theme.

There are others, and perhaps some of those others have done a lot more for the game but I can only speak to the few who have crossed my path and who have demonstrated "The Right Stuff" in their different ways.

In the forums angst is more interesting, and the discussions focus on problems. It's hard to create a thread to give credit without making it seem like brown nosing. However El Diablo with his staff giveaways and this cover photo op, has given an outlet for things not often said.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Since this thread has served it's purpose I'm going to derail it with a larger list.

First Moun10bike remains on my list. Someone said Electric Mouse and I agree. Keystone was a good choice. ~Eric~ was another great suggestion. That's enough to get you through the year if you want to stick with a theme.

There are others, and perhaps some of those others have done a lot more for the game but I can only speak to the few who have crossed my path and who have demonstrated "The Right Stuff" in their different ways.

In the forums angst is more interesting, and the discussions focus on problems. It's hard to create a thread to give credit without making it seem like brown nosing. However El Diablo with his staff giveaways and this cover photo op, has given an outlet for things not often said.

Thanks for the comments RK. I've never brown nosed in my life, I'm just too cocky for that, ask anyone that knows me. What I've tried to do is to acknowledge people that need to be acknowledged.

The obvious people are the admin, reviewers, and moderators. There are also great cachers out there that have made this sport/game/hobby what it is today. Our entire community is made up of good people that share a common passion.

Sometimes the angst in the forums gets to be a little too much. I like to try and refocus people on the fun of caching, and will continue to do so. I love this game. Some may call me biased, or even brown nosing, so be it. Like I said, I love this game, but more importantly I love the people that play it, and those that make it possible.

El Diablo

...Thanks for the comments RK. I've never brown nosed in my life, I'm just too cocky for that, ask anyone that knows me. What I've tried to do is to acknowledge people that need to be acknowledged....

Hopefully you didn't take that as an implication that some of your give away threads were brown nosing threads. What I was trying to say was that they were one of the few ways to kive kudos without brown nosing and thats a good thing.

I'm rather surprised no one has nominated Keystone.  If you have privately, I am doing so publically now (with permission.)

Keystone has done wonders for our area, helping with approvals, and offering insight.  And quite frankly, he's one of the funniest cachers I've been privelaged to meet.

We have a winner!!

This will be a perfect cover for Toda's Cacher, and it depicts a great representative of Groundspeak.

Everyone that nominated a reviewer can send me an email at jerry@todayscacher.com and I'll send you a copy of the first printed issue.

El Diablo

I don't post much to the forums and am only now seeing this thread, but I must say that I feel very honored to have been out on that great caching expedition with Keystone and a couple other caching friends. The smiles were definitely genuine. We had a great time that day in May only visiting three caches. I am also thrilled that the photo I happened to take of him using his camera at Wonder Falls will end up on the cover of Today's Cacher magazine. I can think of no more hardworking, caring, and deserving a person than Keystone/Lep to get this honor. Congratulations!

(And, of course, I look forward to reading your account of the day -- especially the "incident" near the ghost town of Kendall that has forced you to at least temporarily switch from a Garmin to a Magellan user :ph34r: ).

I am also thrilled that the photo I happened to take of him using his camera at Wonder Falls will end up on the cover of Today's Cacher magazine.

Hey, I'm just thrilled that you were along to find all the caches that day! 'Cause I was oh-for-three. Someone knew to go across the stream to the *top* of that waterfall. I enjoyed mucking around at the bottom of the waterfall, yep, really I did.

And yes, I will tell everyone about my unwanted "baptism" to the world of Magellan users. :ph34r:

Thanks for your kind words, and for your good company on a "top ten" day of geocaching.

There are so many great approvers and moderators I have interacted with and some I've even met that I would certainly like to nominate. However, being a staff member of TC, I am excluded from choosing, for which I am relieved as picking just one would be difficult indeed.

Also I think it would be nice to recognize (perhaps not in this issue or in the same manner) the unsung approvers. The ones who do their jobs day in and day out with seeking any glory or headlines in the forums or in the chat rooms. Big props to all of them!

We have a winner!!

El Diablo

I'll say. He is without a doubt the rudest, most condescending moderator of the bunch. Must make TPTB very happy having nurtured a toadie like that. <_< It's little Jeremy.

I like the "Toda's Cacher" typo. Freudian slip perhaps?

I'll say. He is without a doubt the rudest, most condescending moderator of the bunch. Must make TPTB very happy having nurtured a toadie like that.  :huh: It's little Jeremy.

Na, you forgot about me. Remember, you hate me more than you hate him. I'm hurt.

Thanks,

toadie-man <_<

(Forgot the toadie emoticon, since I'm a toadie and all.)

Edited by mtn-man
I'll say. He is without a doubt the rudest, most condescending moderator of the bunch. Must make TPTB very happy having nurtured a toadie like that. <_< It's little Jeremy.

No, J5, you've got it all wrong as usual. I prefer to think of Jeremy as "Big Keystone." 'Cuz that's the way that egotistical toadies think.

Oh, and another thing... there are several moderators who are really bent out of shape that I seem to have also won the contest for "rudest and most condescending." To receive that accolade from you means that I must be doing something right.

Congrats Keystone, you are most deserving of this. And thanks to ED for starting the thread in the first place. While I agree that both of the submitted pics are worthy, I personally like the one of you riding the tree bareback in another stream. :huh:<_<

My vote for rudest most condescending moderator goes to Spartacus. ;)

Congrats Keystone, you are most deserving of this. And thanks to ED for starting the thread in the first place. While I agree that both of the submitted pics are worthy, I personally like the one of you riding the tree bareback in another stream. :huh::D

My vote for rudest most condescending moderator goes to Spartacus. ;)

See thats the kind of thinking that really pi**'s me off. Everyone seems to forget that I hold the title of "rudest most condescending moderator". I retired undefeated and there for took the title with me. Its mine for life. I still have the Belt and the trophy. Lets try to get our facts straight there youngin.

Don't make me come out of retirement for one last cage match to prove my point. ;)<_<

...Everyone seems to forget that I hold the title of "rudest most condescending moderator". I retired undefeated and there for took the title with me. Its mine for life.

Sheesh. :P

Sounds like the geocaching version of Bobby Fischer. :laughing::)

Id rather be Bobby Fisher than a poor version of HST. Bobby didn't spend his evenings drunk or addicted to drugs. ;);)

I'm all for appreciating, but honor? Sounds like more a** kissing to me. It seems like the usuals and mods are either stroking each other or randomly enforcing guidelines and rules when it suits them.

Having said that, in all sincerity, thanks to those behind the scenes who help operate such a well-run site, hopefully they are well compensated. And thanks to all those people out there not affiliated who help to keep Geocaching so fun.