Snake Eats Snake

Team DEMP

Was hiking today along the very western edge of Harriman going after the last 3 caches in Harriman/Bear Mountain (other then 1 MIA and 1 boating cache) that I hadn't found. Ended up being an 11 mile loop though I thought it would be 9.

On the way to the final cache (Bling Bling), I spotted a black snake which slithered off the path. A couple mins later, I spotted another black snake that wasn't moving away. It's because it was eating another snake! I stayed a couple mins as it continued to take in the other snake.

Here are some pics...

102041bd-0b0b-443a-abcd-ccd668b8d031.jpg

50547f9c-871f-461f-ad70-c786c357d18d.jpg

670a8fea-b542-4b3a-a597-5807ad3bf441.jpg

d2a041fa-822e-4d29-8676-92022b15587f.jpg

And a closeup before I continued on my way...

4f1b7665-db7a-4474-9e4f-a16a65abfba7.jpg

You can see in the last closeup picture that the snake being eaten has a tail wrapped around a branch on the ground. Not sure what the snake will do when it gets to that knot unless the snake being eaten lets go.

Anyone see something like this before?

Holy smokes! That's crazy stuff Dave.

I wonder how big/long the other snake was. Dinner doesn't look that much smaller then the diner. Seems like the black snake was a little ambitious.

I once saw two northern pikes in a similar pose. However, it was the smaller fish trying to swallow the bigger fish. I think I have a photograph of that somewhere.

Didn't I mention something about natural selection earlier in the day. :laughing:

You gotta be smart and fast, or you'll be lunch or dinner.

Edited by ekitt10

Wow that is so cool. Hey, saw this awesome show on Animal Planet one night. This snake was eating this frog but it didn't bite it it just swallowed it whole. BIG MISTAKE! The frog turned out to have poisonous skin and it paralyzed the snake. The snake was about to slither away when it just stopped and got this look on its face like, "Uh oh, I think I shouldn't have eaten that last froggy!"

Snake died and the frog wiggled its way out of the snakes mouth and hopped away like no big deal... It was so cool.

I can't believe you stayed to take pictures. I would have been out like trout!

Be careful Dave.

Mike :laughing:

WoW! That is so cool! Bugbait told me that one time him and his friend were walking around in Dismal Swamp and there were tons of snakes in these pits. Frogs were in there too as they couldn't get out and Bugbait picked up a snake and saw this lump moving up it's belly towards it's mouth and out came a frog, and HOPPED AWAY! He's such a savior! :laughing:

Edited by shannicat & bugbait

What happens when the bigger snake gets to the tail? By that time the little snake has suffocated and will relax a bit. That is why they take their time at dinner. I once fed a BIG bullfrog a full grown gerbil. He gulped it down in a single motion. Unfortunately the hamster was not yet dead and he clawed the bullfrog to death from the inside out. :lol:

BTW.. I stole one of your photos to show my classes this fall.. thanks

Edited by edscott

That's one happy black snake. He's gonna be set for couple weeks with that meal. Sue and I had a black bear cross the path ahead of us yesterday as we were leaving a cache. He was gone as fast as he showed so no time to get picture but I was so startled (never saw one before) I couldn't have gotten a picture if I had been holding the camera with my finger on the button.

The frog turned out to have poisonous skin and it paralyzed the snake. The snake was about to slither away when it just stopped and got this look on its face like, "Uh oh, I think I shouldn't have eaten that last froggy!"

Snake died and the frog wiggled its way out of the snakes mouth and hopped away like no big deal... It was so cool.

I love a story with a happy ending!

I could walk around in the woods with my camera for two weeks straight and never see anything worth taking a picture of, but god forbid I forget the camera home and all sorts of photo opportunities pop up :ph34r:

Good shot, Dave! Thanks for sharing it with us!! I never thought snakes ate each other...that must have been one hungry snake!!

Kar of TS!!