Pocketpc Gps Do Everything In One Unit ?

georcfun

could i do everything on pocketPC GPS ??

Goals

1- geocaching with gps full mapping features - some custom mapping maybe

2- autorouting with voice prompts in while in car for normal city use

3- paperless geocaching -- (last on goal list)

new to sport... currently looking at getting:

garmin 76cs

or

garmin quest series

and just using my existing phone pda for paperless

=================

my other thought was a pocketPC completely setup for above so just one unit:

==================

note: i am not in area to do extreame hiking ,,, so more city geocaching and easy hiking geocaching. extreame durablity is not a first concern..

anyone had luck with pocketpc for all the above ??

if so ,,, how cumbersome is it to really use ??

thanks

Hi,

I use the PPC for caching, autorouting and mapping. However, you will not find one application that does all. The nice thing about a PPC, is that if you do not like the current GPS software, you can purchase something different.

For vehicle navigation I use TomTom or Mapopolois. I bought the Navman PiN (Output.com for $350) and the Navman software was not very desirable. So I bought TomTom.

For geocaching I use BeeLineGPS. It gives your PPC some of the same features that a handheld has. It also will import GPX files and give you very detailed information about the cache much like GPXSonar with a generated HTML page.

Another note of advice, if you do use a PPC for caching, it is a good idea to get some sort of hard-case protection. PDAs can easily break.

Links to similar threads:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=97735

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=99203

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=104299

so it looks like you something like Mapopolois to get you in area with car,,

and then beeline gps helps for close in work..

You are correct.

and you think PPC is just as accurate gps as garmin 76c when things get setup correctly

I think so. Since I've been using PPC for caching, I have had no problem if finding the location. There are many makers of GPS devices for the PPC so accuracy could differ. The Navman uses the SiRF GPS chip set and this is a very popular GPS engine and many other manufactures use it with the PPC. I’ve noted that Garmin has better elevation models of the Earth and report altitude much better than the older SiRF models. However, I’ve been told that the new SiRF star series do a much better job in the elevation model.

I should point out that I too have a dedicated handheld GPS as well. I've been using my Garmin GPS V for years and still use it. The ease of having a dedicated device sometimes outweighs the flexibility of a more complicated device. So using just a PPC may not be the ultimate tool, but it is much more flexible and has features that a handheld may not have. However, a dedicated handheld is much more rugged and reliable. You could debate this forever… :laughing:

I've been doing a bit of research and I'm leaning towards the Garmin GPS 10. It's a bluetooth GPS and the package includes Que and nRoute software. The Que software is for PPC and nRoute is for PCs. We already have a laptop so all I need to do is get a bluetooth adapter for it. I plan on getting an iPaq to upgrade from the m105.

We'll be keeping the SporTraks for the on-foot navigation.

geocaching with gps full mapping features - some custom mapping maybe

I use Oziexplorer and import airplane pictures from terraserver using USAphotoMaps.

autorouting with voice prompts in while in car for normal city use

Mapopolis is excelent

paperless geocaching -- (last on goal list)

GPXsonar

HP iPaq 4700 stuffed in an Aquapac, GlobalSat BT-Gps_338 in the fanny pack, Mapoplolis for road nav, Navio for cache nav, GPX sonar for cache description. Also Beeline GPS and MemoryMap Pocket Navigator on board.

When it all works correctly, smokin' accurate and fun!

Accuracy. In the field, wife with the Garmin 60CS, about 80/20 that I have a more accurate (read: more close) fix than her. Usually carry double the sats as well, Garmin will have 4-5, Globalsat will have 8-9. Lets not talk about how quickly the Garmin poops out under tree cover....

Now... When it all goes buggy.... :lol:

Wife's in the lead!!!

I've been doing a bit of research and I'm leaning towards the Garmin GPS 10.  It's a bluetooth GPS and the package includes Que and nRoute software.  The Que software is for PPC and nRoute is for PCs.  We already have a laptop so all I need to do is get a bluetooth adapter for it.  I plan on getting an iPaq to upgrade from the m105.

I just received the Garmin GPS 10 Bluetooth. I like it. It seems to perform as one would expect from a Garmin. Used it with BeeLineGPS with success.

Amazon had it for about $207USD shipping included. Not too bad of a price. It came with the City Select for the PC and PPC.

I would say it’s a go for the GPS 10…

I believe that Garmin Makes both a M3 and M5 which are both combination PDA (PPC/Windows) and GPS. I have the iQue 3600 which is a PDA (Palm OS) and GPS. Excellent for geocaching and paperless logs. :D

My experience has been that a separate PPC and bluetooth GPS is more practical than the integrated units:

- you can put the gps in your backpack or under your hat where it gets good reception (not that it matters if you have a SiRF III), and put the PPC wherever it's conveniently accessible

- battery life is usually much better (two batteries instead of one)

- you can get a gps with a built-in track logger, improving the PPC's battery life even further

- you can upgrade the gps and the ppc separately

- the fold-up antenna can develop mechanical and/or electrical issues with use

I would agree with Kerecsen, although some BT units can be testy. Also, look for a BT unit that has a good range. I would check on someplace like GPSPassion forum where they do independent tests on a wide variety of units. The actual numbers (for range) compared to the manufacturer specs will surprise you.

I use a CF card GPS with my PPC, but it does impact battery life much more than a BT would. I have also used the Mio 168 and the Garmin M5. They are nice units, but I will stick with my Dell.