Basemap Lost?

arie1

Hi,

I received my Magellan explorist 600 yesterday and today while connecting it with an Apple powerbook and fiddling with nmea protocols it supposedly lost its European basemap. I say supposedly because it tells ( in Dutch) 'No map loaded, initialise maploading and then freezes, but after taking the battery out and in and connecting it to the pc windows-explorer shows that the basemap is there.

When I somehow manage to turn it on without the gpsr telling me 'No map loaded, initialise maploading' and go to preferences to try activating the basemap there the basemap doesn't show. If I click on that item' backgroundmap' it says loading please wait'

How can I get my basemap and GPSr to work again? Sending it back to the shop?

I would be very, very grateful if I could get some help here.

Kindest regards,

Arjen Hulskemper

Edited by arie1

A complete reset did the trick eventually. I hesitated to do this because I was afraid the basemap would then permanently be lost. Not so!

Is this a bug? I do not know exactly what we did wrong or what happened.

Sorry to have bothered you.

Regards,

Arjen

I have to wonder what it is with Magellan and basemaps. If you look at the forums on the web many users (owners) have complained over the years with many models of basemaps disappearing. You would think Magellan would have addressed the issue by now. I myself have never seen a post by Gamin owners of this problem, and if they have it is small in comparision with Magellan units.

I have and am seriously considering going to Gamin or Lowrance when it comes time to get a new GPSr.

This is my second Gold, my first I had to return the same day because there was no basemap. I contacted Magellan and they told me I would have to send it in for repair. No way!

I'm a Mac user and I had the same exact thing happen on my second day. I explained it in another thread. I read that many people had this problem after a search for the error phrase on Google. I eventually went to this page and accessed the secret screens. Be careful since some of these are very dangerous. To be honest, I'm not sure which one worked, but I ended up erasing memory eventually. I did that manually though, so I don't think it was 30 or 32, but those might work. It should only erase user memory, not the Basemap. In any case, what happened was that one time I got past the error message and I immediately went and erased the user memory. If you can do the hard reset though, as you mentioned, that would be best.

Advice: only use an SD card. Keep the internal memory as it originally was. Don't open it on your Mac, and never open the Basemap on your Mac (I think that's what I did though I changed nothing at all). You should open the internal memory for one job though. Drag a copy of the Basemap to your hard drive (on your Mac or PC or both). They have become corrupt before. If that happens you will have to send the GPS to Magellan. However, if you have a clean copy (never open it!), then you can restore it.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa