Micros

DnG

Micros have been a popular topic in the past. One more time could not hurt.

Geocaching is an awesome hobby that takes me to really cool places that are educational, beautiful, adventuresome and just plan fun.

In my local area there are several geocachers that are hell bent on emplacing as many caches as they possibly can. Every cache is a micro and their locations are becoming anti geocaching in my mind. On a rail guard along the highway with no particular interest unless you are a garbage collector. Another 300 ft away in bushes along a parking lot. Micros in the middle of the woods, hidden among the trees.

Micros have thier place in crowded or urban areas. Better yet, if it is an interesting place and has a high amount of traffic, make it a virtual.

Geocachers that have the work ethics to make a sturdy, enviromental friendly, camoflauged container and hide it in a worthy area of enjoyment are the cream of the crop in my book.

I love the hunt. Difficult or easy. Most important is where the hunt takes me and whom I am with.

I propose te following:

1. Geocaching breaks down traditional caches into; traditional and micros.

2. Geocaching developes a filter to filter out caches created by certain individuals.

3. Geocaching developes a filter to filter out micro caches.

What is your opinion?

Thanks guys and gals.

DnG

Just when you thought it safe to log into the forums the micros in the woods topic starts up again.

Hows this for an idea. We had the same problem in the area I just moved from. there was one large open space area that the micro maniacs had not gotten to, So I had a very large cache in the area that contained several med sizes caches, the rule was if you take a cache it had to be hidden with in 24 hours and with in a radias I had lost on each cache, now the area hase several med caches in it with no room for micors :lol::lol: Try it in your area

Would that it could be so easy, but it's not. You can have a multicache ending in a micro, or in an ammo box. A puzzle cache can end with a log in an altoids tin, or a tupperware. Micro is a SIZE. Like caches of all other sizes, there are good ones and bad ones.

2. Geocaching developes a filter to filter out caches created by certain individuals.
Online, start using your "Ignore" list. Offline, use filters in your PQ management software to ignore caches by Hider XYZ.

It's already there, as a checkbox in the pocket query generator. Or, use filters in your PQ management software to ignore micros.
You can already do this via Ignore Lists and Pocket Queries - what more are you asking for?

(That's a serious question)

What he said.

We have a cacher in our area who's doing the same thing. I immediately add most of his hides to my ignore list, based the logs of the FTF number hounds. When I do seek one of his caches, I comment politely but honestly on the quality (he has a few nice ones, and he took my suggestion and moved one a short distance to a much nicer location).

I don't angst over it because:

1) once the caches I don't want to seek are on my ignore list, I don't see them in my PQ's - they cease to exist in my world, :lol:

2) Most of his caches are in areas where I wouldn't want to hide (or look for) a cache, :lol:

3) I know he won't be able to maintain all the caches he's placed (he's already archived a fair number), so those areas will be opened up for others sooner or later, :P

4) Perhaps because of #3, he's dramatically slowed in the number of caches he's hiding lately. :lol:

Polite feedback and experience will gradually resolve the problem.

Maybe if the number of micros placed by a single account was limited.  I have one and keep it that way.  When it is time for it to go I place a new one.. but never have more than one active at at time.

I'm glad that you have the sense to self-regulate. :lol:

After the initial excitement of Geocaching wears off, people just have to realize that this is a game played by more than a small group of people. If people snap out of self-congratulating, but focus on catering to a wide audience instead, maybe the quality of hides (micro or not) will likely improve.

No amount of rules can make that happen.

Maybe if the number of micros placed by a single account was limited.

Limit the kinds of hides (of any type) that a hider can put out?

No way! ~ We have two cache owners locally that hide some of the most creative, challenging, clever, and just plain fun caches that I have found, and they both 'specialize' in micros. I wouldn't want them to be shut out--in fact, I want them to hide more, more, more.

I have a great idea. Lets keep adding all the rules everyone wants. Every single one of them. In about a week we can all find a new hobby because this one will be ruled to death. How about, "Follow the current guidelines and if you want a game that is more strict, play it that way a yourself"? Just don't ask others to have less fun because you like more control on yourself and others. Please don't try to add more. there are more than enough already.

Edited by LaPaglia
I have a great idea. Lets keep adding all the rules everyone wants. Every single one of them. In about a week we can all find a new hobby because this one will be ruled to death. How about, "Follow the current guidelines and if you want a game that is more strict, play it that way a yourself"? Just don't ask others to have less fun because you like more control on yourself and others. Please don't try to add more. there are more than enough already.

amen to that.

1) pay to become a premium member, and run all of your PQs excluding micros (maybe even small caches too)

2) from your account quick view page, search for caches near your home location, and click "ignore" on every micro (small too?) cache within XX miles

3) find something new to complain about, and suggest more rules to change everyone's game to fix your problem

I propose te following:

I totally agree. Micros should not be considered "traditional" caches, but rather a unique type in and of themselves. If you like micros, more power to you, but they are not traditional caches.

Edited by Gretch_Mess

I Love Micros

I love micros

That's the cache for me

'Cause when I hunt micros

It's something I can't see

Take me to a lamp post

Beside a busy street

I stand there acting normal

To anyone I meet

I'm holding my GPSr

And gazing at the screens

My waypoint keeps on moving

I wonder what it means?

Some people are now staring

At me as if I'm nuts

I want to keep on looking

But I haven't got the guts

I smile at the people

As if to reassure

But I don't think they're buying

My natural allure

I guess I'd better move on

Before they call the cops

It's either that or disconnect

The post's bottom from it tops

Okay, they're gone, I got it

And now I start to write

If I hurry I can put it back

There's no one else in site

Oh, good I got a smilie

After all that is the aim

I can not wait to post it

And get back in the game

I see a Walmart parking lot

In which a micro's placed

I think I'll go there next

I hope I don't get maced.

DnG,

as a cacher in your area, i can tell you that you are banging your head against a wall in this issue. as you can tell from some of my logs in your area, i'm no fan of the woodland micro. i really have no problem with the urban micro's though. not particularly enamored of them, just don't care about them as much. as has been suggested, you can hit the ignore button, or filter them out on pocket queries. another way to avoid them is to pretty much ignore micro's in general, but especially the 1/1 micros you'll see around. check the topozone and/or mapquest maps of the caches and you'll pretty much be able to tell what kind of terrain you'll be in. there are many (not as many as i'd like) caches that will challenge you with terrain, and many that will take you to neat places, but you've got to sift through the others. just takes a bit longer. good luck.

harry

WOW! You are in an area where micros are very popular, well-placed and many with some creative containers . . . they are really a lot of fun! True, you also enjoy some lesser quality ones placed for the numbers-focused hunters.

There is such a mix of all types of caches in your area, why not enjoy them and embrace the work of your local cacher friends. You can influence changes by how you place caches while logging all the others in your area - great stuff!

What is your opinion?

I just visited Saratoga, Morgan Hill and Redwood City, CA and found some very cool micros. Sure am glad that people took the time to make and hide those cool micros.

There are many of those in our area. :lol:

I think we are sort of spoiled in the Bay Area. Few hiders set the expectations high early on, and many are following their examples. That's probably why I didn't understand all the whining about micros initially.

Who is this DnG sockpuppet and why are we letting him beat a dead horse? :lol:

Ummm, did you even bother to look at their profile? They have been a member since 2002. Maybe the forums aren't their thing. Just because their first post is a dead horse complaint, it certainly doesn't make them a sock. :anibad:

FWIW DnG: Take responsibility for your own experiences. Don't blame others for ruining your fun. If their cache was approved, better than 95% of the time it met the gc.com guidelines for cache placement. You chose to hunt a micro and it's your fault that you didn't enjoy it.

Some past wisdom:

The hider is playing a game called geocaching. They are evidently playing it right because their cache was approved.

You are also playing a GAME (sport/hobby/obsession/etc.) evidently called MY version of Geocaching 1.5, or maybe even 2.O. You seem to be failing at your game if you are not able to enjoy it. Snoogans

"Failure is a hard pill to swallow until you realize the only failure you can really have in this sport is the failure to enjoy yourself."

TotemLake 4/26/04

Edited by Snoogans
I propose the following:

1) Quit your whining and let people hide and find the type(s) of caches they want. :huh:

All the tools you need to filter out the types of caches you don't like are already there. It takes a little bit of effort to do, but no more effort than complaining does.

Hey Jerk,

Keep your proposal to yourself.

Yeah, it's the way you said it.

DnG

1) pay to become a premium member, and run all of your PQs excluding micros (maybe even small caches too)

2) from your account quick view page, search for caches near your home location, and click "ignore" on every micro (small too?) cache within XX miles

3) find something new to complain about, and suggest more rules to change everyone's game to fix your problem

Another brain,

The original post mentions nothing about "rules". I also believe we are over governed in our society.

If you bothered to look at the original posters profile you would already know that he pays to be a premium member.

Thanks for your time.

Micros have thier place in crowded or urban areas....

...What is your opinion?...

Checking out your profile, I find you have over 400 caches within 40 miles of your last find. I've got less than 100 that close to my home coordinates and with the cost of gas becoming equivalent to rocket fuel purchased by NASA, each smiley is costing more and more. I sure hope they never put restricions on the amount and/or type of cache that can be hidden by anyone. I've just recently begun hiding my own in hopes that I can encourage other cachers in my area to do the same. In my opinion, and just as you stated, micros do have their place, however, I'm thankful for any hide I can go discover whether it be a nano or a 5 gallon bucket. Just my 2 cents worth. :huh:

Edited by Jester2112
1)  pay to become a premium member, and run all of your PQs excluding micros (maybe even small caches too)

2)  from your account quick view page, search for caches near your home location, and click "ignore" on every micro (small too?) cache within XX miles

3)  find something new to complain about, and suggest more rules to change everyone's game to fix your problem

Another brain,

The original post mentions nothing about "rules". I also believe we are over governed in our society.

If you bothered to look at the original posters profile you would already know that he pays to be a premium member.

Thanks for your time.

Maybe I'll start speaking in the third person too, it sounds so cool! :o

BTW: I love micros, bring 'em on! :huh:

Edit: To say what I meant.

Edited by WildGooseChase

I propose te following:

This already exist. PQ and Ignore can be your friend.

cheers

I've got the same problem in my area. The local geocaching group is saturated with messages congratulating each other on yet another hundred caches found. The local cache culture here definately favors quantity over quality, and the high density of lame micros makes it hard for new cachers to find a decent cache that will get them hooked on the sport. The vast majority of our caches are placed by a very small number of people in this group.

Yes, I can, and do filter them out, perhaps missing the occasional good location. The new cachers cannot.

What is needed is for this topic to be raised again and again, so hopefully the message can soak into the geotrashers out there, or cause some folks to think twice. The complaint of too many lame micros is legitimate... if you dont want to read the complaints, quit reading the threads on the subject.

I've got the same problem in my area. The local geocaching group is saturated with messages congratulating each other on yet another hundred caches found. The local cache culture here definately favors quantity over quality, and the high density of lame micros makes it hard for new cachers to find a decent cache that will get them hooked on the sport. The vast majority of our caches are placed by a very small number of people in this group.

Yes, I can, and do filter them out, perhaps missing the occasional good location. The new cachers cannot.

What is needed is for this topic to be raised again and again, so hopefully the message can soak into the geotrashers out there, or cause some folks to think twice. The complaint of too many lame micros is legitimate... if you dont want to read the complaints, quit reading the threads on the subject.

ah, the stock trade answer of the he-man micro hater...

just because the cachers in our larger area like to congratulate each other when they hit milestones (such as every hundred) does not automatically make it all about quantity of quality....

but the micro-haters won't listen...

there is room in the game for all types... and yes, there are some lame micros in our greater general area, and there are lots and lots of very clever ones (especially from that one most prolific cache hider in this greater general caching area)

And often, those lame micros that get whined about have some other merit that the micro haters just won't get... maybe it was hidden to give you a chance to see the nearby historic site (since it lacked virtual 'wow' but is still a meritous cache), maybe it takes you to a nice park beyond where the micro is...

I think we cachers sometimes get too much tunnel vision, and miss the bigger picture...

I certainly know the micro haters do... :anitongue:

<Eh, not worth it>

You're right, it's not.

This micro rant is getting old, this thread had the same micro bashing idea, and skyrocketed.

I'm not a "fan" of micros either, but you've got to live with them.

This is probably weird, advice from a newer person to a more experienced member, but here goes...

Hide caches you would enjoy finding (I'm guessing 50 cal. to 5 gallon buckets) in alot of interesting locales that would be so good, let's call it not lame even, that you would inspire local cachers to hide caches THAT good, to "keep up with the Jones'" if you will.

You're goal to serparate micros from "traditional" caches will never happen, so why try to make it.

Instead, do something within you're power that's not complaining....hide more regular sized caches.

2 cents. :anitongue:

Really a simple solution to this. Don't hunt the micros. Look at the maps and look at the area the cache is placed in. There are many ways to determine if it may or may not be an interesting location, and living in the area the cache was placed should give you an idea whether the cache would be interesting to you. Or don't hunt the caches that the person or persons place. I am very familiar with the caches you speak of. I am not offended by them. Some are very difficult to find. By the same token I appreciate every single one of them. It is as you say about the hunt and who you are with. Every hunt does not take you to an interesting place. Some hides are so down right simple that I and others miss them. I like that. Keeps you thinking. The old song says you can't please everyone so you got to please yourself. I live where you do and would love to see more caches in the area. Hint,Hint. Have fun,that is what it's all about.right?

I feel both ways on this.....one I like the micros because of the challange....but kinda hate them because that's all there seems to be going up. I started this as a way to spend some time with my little girl. She doesn't like the micros because there isn't any "neat things" to find. I like the micros because I use them to go out alone. Yes there are newer people out there putting them up any where and every where just to say they've hidden __?___ many.....ego I guess. but a parking lot of a barber shop has no real intrest to me.

It's everyones game and the sad thing is as excited as we are about it and would like evryone enjoy it like we do, when more people get invold and put what they think in it's going to change. Nascar racing is what I think of as far as change.....I started going to the races in 1971 after the race at the Nashville track they use to open the pit gates and you could walk down in the pits, see the drivers, look in the cars and walk the track. Now with the way it has grown you can't do that......more people just means more change. Good? Bad? Just do the things you like to do within the game and hope everyone else is having as much fun as you.

I think we cachers sometimes get too much tunnel vision, and miss the bigger picture...

I certainly know the micro haters do... :lol:

Ummmm...I think its the other way around.

I once found a micro attached to a light pole in Cabelas parking lot near Reading, Pennsylvania. It had about 35 finds in a month.

A few miles down the road was a wonderful cache hidden about a mile off the road along a very serene stream. It was a very peaceful area with wildlife all over the place. This cache had two finders (me and my friend) in the same month's time.

I really didn't need a cache on a light pole to attract me to Cabela's, but I never would of had the memories of that wonderful half day if that cache at the end of that trail wasn't there. Too bad those other 34 finders of the Cabelas light pole cache missed this one. I guess the other micro hidden on the front porch of the nearby Cracker Barrel diverted them. :laughing:

My agnst is against un-maintained, poorly thought out caches where you have to be "stealthy"...not any particular size. Its just a vast majority of the lousy ones I have come across tend to be micros. Since it seems totally senseless to cache for smiley faces, my disdain for these junk caches, regardless of size, will not yield.

Salvelinus

And often, those lame micros that get whined about have some other merit that the micro haters just won't get... maybe it was hidden to give you a chance to see the nearby historic site (since it lacked virtual 'wow' but is still a meritous cache), maybe it takes you to a nice park beyond where the micro is...

Then they aren't "lame" micros if they have a redeeming quality. Most people who rail against micros don't have a problem with a micro that is placed to highlight an historic site, or take you to a nice park. Its micros hidden next to the dumpster behind 7-Eleven, or the 20th Wal Mart lampost micro within 10 miles that annoys people.

there is room in the game for all types...

There should be. The old, if you don't like 'em, don't hunt 'em baloney. In some areas if you don't care for micros, you don't geocache because there ain't nuttin' else.

think we cachers sometimes get too much tunnel vision, and miss the bigger picture...

I certainly know the micro haters do...

See Salvenius' response above. He said it far better than I could.

Edited by briansnat

Okay what is so great about walking a couple hundred feet and find an ammo can a UPR or UPS you can see from 100 feet away is this lame or not. Rather then a cleverly hidden micro, yes some micros area lame hides, but it makes a differance is the imagination that is put into the cache. Besides how many folks just TNLNSL a cache no matter the size.

cheers