Can You Change A Basemap

junek

Hi all.

Got my first gps a week or so ago. Im in australia, so i saved around 60% by buying it from a bloke in the US over Ebay.

Anyway, the little eXplorist 500 is great, lead me to my first geocache the other day.

However, as it is a US based 500, it has the US basemap,

......> Does anyone know where i could get an Australian basemap from?? and how to change base maps?

I can send it off the the Australian importer of magellan, but they want $300 to do it!!

I would just like to have it as well as Australian topo maps.

thanks all.

jamie

I don't know if Maggies are the same as Garmins but on a Garmin when you have detail maps loaded, the basemap is hidden. So all you need to do is load your desired detail maps and don't worry about the basemap.

But as I said I could be all wrong. Hopefully another Maggie owner will chime in.

I think the only way to get the basemap you are looking for is to return it to Magellan. I don't understand why the $300.00 cost. Other than that you can see if the program Magellan MapSend WorldWide Basemap CD would work with your unit. It does not mention the Explorist. Here is a link to the info.

http://www.gpscity.com/item-magellan-mapse...-cd/msworld.htm

It is ashame in a way that Magellan does not make the basemaps downloadable to register owners of Magellan units.

Maybe someone else on the forum can be of more help.

supposedly, the base map is shown on screen when you zoom out, and its better to have a base map and detailed map.

and they charge 300 so people like me can not get a cheap unit from the US and have a base map as well i guess!!

thanks

jamie

supposedly, the base map is shown on screen when you zoom out, and its better to have a base map and detailed map.

and they charge 300 so people like me can not get a cheap unit from the US and have a base map as well i guess!!

thanks

jamie

Thats not exactly true.

I bought my Magellan from the US for about half the cost that i would have paid in Australia (got it on E-Bay). It came with the Australian basemap.

Best bet is to contact the seller and see if they will help you out.

I also purchased the Mapsend Worlswide Basemap (in Oz), as i couldn't find an easy way to get the cheap US price.

IT cost me near 300 locally.

The WWBM won't do what the pre-loaded Australian basemap does.

It works for me because i'm rarely in Oz.

HTH