Military Installations

With the way that the world is now, do you really think that it is wise to have military installations as waymarks? Not sure the guards would understand someone standing, or sitting in a car, outside the gates and playing with a GPS. Could get ugly. Just a thought. I know on the base I work, that the military would be asking lots of questions.

Gabwp

Ask all you like. I've got some pretty good answers and I'm not afraid to give them.

You can find all the military bases you want including coordinates on the web. You can also find some pretty detailed photos of things that you would never see even if you cut through the fence and outran the MPs. All from pictures taken from a hundred miles above and posted for everyone to see.

It has nothing to do with what is on the post or what can be seen. Highten levels of security since 9/11 have put the MPs and civilian guards on alert to people standing near the fence lines. They are not going to run you down but you do stand a good chance of being talked to.

That being said, the majority of the installations in the US are open to the public. Just stop at the gate (have your license, insurance, and vehicle registration) get a vehicle pass. Several parks and nature trails on Fort Huachuca. Even a cache in Garden Canyon if you are coming down this way.

Oh, be prepared for people to be looking under your hood, trunk, under the car, in the car and maybe a dog if you hit the gate at the wrong time.

Edited by armyofone33w

The fact that we have military bases and where they are located is no secret. I don't even know how you could keep something like that a secret. What is a secret on some bases is their mission. Just use common sense. If you have to pass a do not enter sign to climb a hill in order to see in to the base, you might be doing something that will get the attention of base security. If you notice that you have a no photography permitted sign framed in the photo you are going to take, you might be doing something that will get the attenetion of base security.

If you get stoped and questioned, be honest about what you are doing. They are most likely just curious about who you are and why you are taking an interest in the base. As long as you are not perceived as a threat you will be fine. Yes, taking photos or even observing areas that are off limits or certain vehicles and buildings is considered threatening. If you lie and they think you are a threat then it can turn in to a many hour ordeal as your try to convince then and/or the civilian police of the truth about what you were doing there.