Worldwide Cache Finds Script!

Tidalflame

I like those maps that people have that show where they've cached, but I don't really like the big gray/red ones for a number of reasons (the Canadian provinces one is extremely squashed and inaccurate). I think there's another one somewhere, but I couldn't find it, so I decided to write my own.

Take a look and tell me what you think.

Basically, you choose a GPX file to upload, fill out the rest of the settings, and hit "Go!" The script will plot all your cache finds on a map. It may not work with outdated GPX files... there are more detailed instructions on the page.

If you only cache in one place, it's not going to look like much - just one big blob, basically. However, if you've been to lots of different places it could be kind of cool.

Big thanks to PhotoDuck for helping me with this. I was going about it the wrong way... =|

If you find any bugs, please post here or send me an e-mail (from my profile).

Here's mine, by the way...

Tidalflame.png

I haven't been to too many places =(

Edited by Tidalflame
Keep in mind that GPX files you download from Geocaching.com (Pocket Queries) only cover a small area. I don't know what the maximum range is for PQs, but it's pretty small.

Not true.

The only real limit on the GC.com GPX is the max number of caches returned (500).

The GPX file is only limited by distance if you limit it when setting it up.

Keep in mind that GPX files you download from Geocaching.com (Pocket Queries) only cover a small area.  I don't know what the maximum range is for PQs, but it's pretty small.

Not true.

The only real limit on the GC.com GPX is the max number of caches returned (500).

The GPX file is only limited by distance if you limit it when setting it up.

I'm pretty sure the maximum radius is 500 miles. If you select "From Origin" there's a little box which says "within radius" - I tried to put 1000 miles but it was saved as 500. If you select a country or state, it only searches within said country or state. Is there some other way?

Personally, i would like the choice of worldwide, USA, or whatever. My finds are just a little blob, but a pittsburgh area map would be interesting. I'm thinking this would be TONS of work, so that's okay is you don't.

Joe Smith

I might allow for more local searches in the future, but you're right, it would take a bit of work. Canada would have priority though =P

I don't have the terms of use memorized word for word, but I can't see any reason why this would be a problem. This script just reads the GPX file and puts the points on a map. The GPX file doesn't stay on the server, by the way. It's automatically deleted as soon as the script has finished running.

If Jeremy has any problem with this I will shut it down immediately, but I can't imagine why he would.

Okay, here's mine.

worldtraveler.jpg

Even with the larger image, some of the locations (Alaska, Utah, Fiji, Japan, Denmark, Shanghai, Puerto Rico, Greece, Kazakhstan) don't show up very well. And those found in Sydney and Bangkok are skewed significantly to the west on this map.

Edited by worldtraveler