Track Log Trading

gulo

Hello

I wonder if anyone keeps their gps track logs and displays them in google earth.

I like converting my track into gpx format and folowing my geocaching hunt from the air at home. You can also include actual caches locations and so it might be helpful to other people as far as which approach is the best.

here is example of my today's hunt. Just open the link with google earth.

geocaching.kmz

Edited by gulo

I dont use google earth but someone once told me you can also drag GPX files onto google earth and it will display a map as well, so if you cant create the KMZ file, use a GPX file.

For those of you who can't use google earth(Win98.95 people) you can use my little program to view the routes on Google Maps instead.

http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/map/GPX/

It uses GPX and LOC files to display the tracks on the map and you can save the maps to your desktop.

Edited by crackhead

I tried dragging one of my .gpx Pocket Caches onto Google Earth.....and it worked great! All 200 caches popped up, along with a check box outline that you can use to uncheck the ones you don't want to view and leave on the ones you want.

Still interested in how you'd plot a track log or route on GE.

I tried dragging one of my .gpx Pocket Caches onto Google Earth.....and it worked great!  All 200 caches popped up, along with a check box outline that you can use to uncheck the ones you don't want to view and leave on the ones you want. 

Still interested in how you'd plot a track log or route on GE.

Try this topic

It explains how to do it.

Edited by The Frantic Cachers

here is how I did my file:

First I use GPS+PPC and use oziexplorer to record my track into its .plt format.

After I hook up my PPC to my PC I just copy the .plt track file to my HD and convert it to .gpx using gpsbabel.

Next step is opening the gpx file in google earth. GE will display both track and points in the map. Since points look very ugly I go to -> Temporary places - GPS Device - Tracks - and unclick Points, leaving only the Path checkbar on.

Now in this case, I actually created a new folder (by right-clicking in Places window) and then dragged "Path" from "GPS device" into the new folder. I also chosed waypoints of geocaches I visited (that I opened from gpx file first) and also moved them into the same folder. After that all you have to do is save folder as .kmz file and post :-)