Do You Want All Finds Listed In One Account?

I would have to say that seems like a bit of a stretch to call a game. I guess you are right, there just won't be much to the game. I agree with the previous post that it sounds like more of a travel assistant than a game.

You are not seeing the forest because of the tree. I think the McDonald's category did a disservice only in that people see it and wonder how Waymarking can be a game and why find counts in Waymarking could matter.

I look at Waymarking not as a single game, but as many games. Each category is a game and each category manager makes up the rules for their game. Waymark guides report the targets for the game. Depending on the category, reporting targets may be part of the game (i.e. you get points for reporting a new waymark). The category manager, along with the waymark guide, specify the rules for veriying a visit to the waymark. These rules could be very strict to eliminate "faked finds" if the category manager sets it up that way. Or there could be a game with very relaxed rules. Depending on the category, multiple visits may be allowed or you may only be allowed to claim a visit to a particular waymark once. It wouldn't make sense to compare visits in a category that doesn't enforce strong verification requirements with visits in a different category that requires strong verification. These are different games.

It may still be interesting for some people to see the total number of waymarks they have visited, but this will be about as meaningful as the total number of caches someone has found. But I can imagine Waymarking games (categories) being created where the statistics will really mean something :unsure:

It might be nice to have all our stats in one place. OR at least to be able to access the various stats from one location with a summary page and then drill down to details. I really like that Waymarking is using the same login as GC.com. I already have way too many username/passwords to remember.

Perhaps, having a summary page but the profile for a user from each area (GC vs. WM) would only have the summary for that area (and of course you could link back to the other) - hope I'm not being confusing.

I hope we are not forced to move our Webcam caches and Earthcache to Waymarking. We have very little interest Waymarking except for the impact it looks like it will have on Geocaching. I'm not saying we are anti Waymarking, it just has no appeal for us. I'm sure some folks will enjoy it.

I'm pretty much with 2bugs on this. While I enjoy doing virtual caches and had been working on an earthcache, I put a lot of time into learning one website and don't feel like spending more of my precious free time learning another. I think I would take the time to visit county highpoints or palindrome coords, or whatever if I could find out about and log them at gc.com, but if it looks like I'd have to dink around with Waymarking.com and gc.com to do what I used to be able to do on gc.com alone I don't think I'd even bother. What was the logic behind making more work for us? Because benchmarks & locationless/earth/virtual/webcam caches don't fit into the neat definition gc.com was founded on? Were there lots of complaints prior to the Waymarking idea? :laughing:

What was the logic behind making more work for us? Because benchmarks & locationless/earth/virtual/webcam caches don't fit into the neat definition gc.com was founded on? Were there lots of complaints prior to the Waymarking idea? 

I would have to say "YES". There were tons of problems with the old method used on GC.com for Locationless/Virtual/WebCam.

Locationless: Topics got so silly that it eventually caused a local lock-down on submissions. Additionally, the image data was probably filling servers with tons of data no one really looked at. Finally, many Locationless owners were either devoting tons of time cross-referrencing to see if it was a duplicate, or ignoring it and letting anyone do what ever they wanted.

Virtuals: Started to go the same way as Locationless. I know from our local 'Reviewer' that they received dozens of submissions, weekly to monthly, for things that were mundane. And then the arguements about suitability, and what ended up following that. The Reviewers had enough duties reviewing locations of caches, they didn't need to keep over explaining and debating why a mundane location was not within the guidelines of Virtuals.

WebCams: This one never really seemed to get a lot of action, probably because image quality was never that good. Being a very subjective topic, trying to decide what qualified as a good enough picture to be accepted as a "find". This coupled with the often "commercial nature" of many WebCams. To me, a Web Cam cache is a poor man's Virtual... I was here, see my picture, but there is no "WOW" factor to the location. Basically... "Why am I here"? Yes there are some Web Cams that are good, but I don't feel it is the norm.

SO... since all of these non-container style "Finds" were causing problems, I think it was decided that there was interest in these types but new guidelines were needed. To do that, it was probably easier to relocate this style of activity to a new home so it could be reinvented.

I don't think anyone has disputed that people don't like the ideas behind Locationless/Virtual/Webcam or even EarthCache.... and that is why there is a new home for these.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar
Perhaps the page could have sections for caching, benchmarking, and Waymarking for clarity. 

At the same time, redesign the TB side of the stats page for all trackable items and section off TB's, jeeps, coins, and whatever else comes down the road later.

I agree it would be nice to have a consolidated page to view these stats. Why not have a central stats page where everything can be viewed and break it down into different categories? There was no problem showing my account page on both sites! In the end it would only promote all the possibilities that Groundspeak has to offer!

Edited by abnduo&spawn

Well that's just it, a zillion waymarks, with a million category owners who are going to be left to their own devices without very much oversight. Sounds like a clusterf#*& in the making for sure. I'm disappointed that TPTB lacked the spine to just say no more virts and locationless, all those that are in are grandfathered, but we feel it was a mistake, and not in the true spirit of "geocaching" so that's the end of it. Changing the rules in the middle of the game is quite a tawdry affair and, IMHO, Jeremy himself has made a mockery of this effort by starting a Mcdonald's directory. I predict this Waymarking endeavor will be one of the jellyfish that washes up on the beach because it lacks the focus required of geocaching. I'm also dismayed that my dues were diverted to launch such a scatterbrain reaction to a very simple problem. Don't get me wrong here, I only toss this out as a constructive criticism,,, you have a dedicated group of people that take pride in the activity you have created and are willing pony up to enhance the website, and I'll bet you a bag of swag that not many will be crossing over to this Waymarking malarkey.

Fish or cut bait ?

You are all just waisting your time here. The decision has already been made.

And you will have no say in the matter.

It's going to be interesting when all these "bandwagon jumpers on" realize that they can not mix & match "way-whatevers" and GC caches for easy downloading, logging etc. We just got the GPS vendors to recognize GEOCaching and now there is a new twist because people don't like virtual caches. My PC Software, GPS Unit and PDA all say "what is this". I've also been caching for a while and haven't found to many virtuals I didn't like. As a matter of fact, you can only use virtuals in National Parks, so they even have their own protected area. I've hiked out to a few virtuals, so there is no box - in my area they are going the way of the dinosaur anyway - now its micros, namos, puzzles etc. Also I seem to see a lot of TNLNSL!

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

Edited by Frog Man

The way I read the posts from TPTB, they have some specific ideas on the game aspect, but they are not ready to reveal them. Maybe we should give them some time to flesh things out first, before dismissing Waymarking. Personally, I have high hopes for Waymarking, as I can see ways that it can be both a game and a travel guide.

I like the idea of having two separate domains for two highly various endeavors.

As some folks have said the waypoints are good for people who do not wish to hike around looking for little boxes and the traditional caches are good for those who do.

It also may remove some of the hidebound whiners from a part of geocaching that a lot of us enjoy.

And the biggest boon is that it allows physically challenged people to take more of a part in this sport.

To remain on topic I vote to keep the scores separate. :ph34r:

I don't believe waymarks should count toward *cache* finds, but I would love to have both stats accessible on my gc.com stats page. Sort of like benchmarks.

Ditto.. But I want to see them separated..

As in:

cache type finds 36

cache type finds 14

cache type finds 6

---------------------------

total cache finds 56

benchmarks 12

wayfinding finds 8

travel bugs 13

coin type one 6

coin type two 5

that would make it *So* much easier to understand and follow

I vote, (as many times as I can), for a page that shows all stats. When someone clicks on my name in the forums, gets taken to my profile page, and wants to see my stats, I want them to be able to see waymarks, benchmarks and everything else in one place.

As much as some folks feel STRONGLY that geocaching and Waymarking are two very separate endeavors, they also have many similarities. This is perhaps best evidenced by the fact that TPTB are the same and the people on the forums are the same.

Two web sites is ok, but the statistics for all should be together.

;) I cast my vote for having all the stats reported on one site, just like they have been in the past at GC.com. Whether it is a cache container, benchmark, locationless, virtual, event or mystery, I put out some effort and expended resources to get to, photograph, and log the visit. I do not understand the new course here of separate statistics. No one complained in the past before the launch of Waymarking.com about having statistics posted on one tally sheet, regardless of how valid the type of cache, waymark, benchmark or location. Having a separate site for Waymarks is of no difference to me; just allow all logs to be tallied into one total, please.
I vote, (as many times as I can), for a page that shows all stats. When someone clicks on my name in the forums, gets taken to my profile page, and wants to see my stats, I want them to be able to see waymarks, benchmarks and everything else in one place.

<snip>

Two web sites is ok, but the statistics for all should be together.

I agree 100%

Just wanted to add that I too like the idea of viewing all the stats on one page.  Like benchmarks, have them there but not count towards your total. :huh:

I agree as well. Even though this is not Geo caching per se, it is a spinoff and why not have combined stats page so long as they don't count as caches. If you don't want to do it the extra stat won't hurt you and if you do participate it would be nice. And as far as cache counts, what ever happed to it's the journey that counts? Has this become so much a game that people don't even notice their surroundings as they try to up their numbers. If you want it to be just a game, let's zero everyone's numbers every once and awhile so that all can compete on even ground. I'd rather just enjoy the experience but each to their own.

Edited by Firemedic + Family

Yes, I'd like to see all finds--from whatever source--consolidated in some way. I wouldn't mind if two "scores" are kept separated by a tab or by some other means, but as a premium member I would like the existing service to continue to keep track of geocaching finds, and the new service to keep track of Waymarking finds, and a mechanism to see both of these from one place. Maybe a consolidated view is a premium-only feature; and I would be OK with that. Maybe more folks will join.

I've quickly read through the preceding arguments and take the position that finding a "virtual" cache is often very similar to the experience of finding a "hidden" cache. And to be blunt, often far more interesting and entertaining. Yes, it is often a challenge to find a cleverly hidden cache. I once spent two hours with my wife combing some stupid little tree and finally finding the cache purely by accident. There have been other very entertaining "finds." I've also had a very interesting experience in Gettysburg following a multi-tiered virtual cache that had us walking for miles and deciphering clues on monuments we would never have looked at twice.

So, I view both as closely related . Finding a hidden cache takes me to places I've never been to before; finding a virtual cache often captures the same experience...except the place itself is often the cache.

I admit that many of the waymark categories will probably hold no interest to me; and as long as there's a way to exclude (filter) these, I'm OK with the general concept. In terms of keeping track of finds, if somebody wants to eat at every McDonald's restaurant on earth and track these as "finds" well, then each to his own and I hope that they will at least walk to all McD's to shed the calories (sic).

Hal Z

I like the idea of having two separate domains for two highly various endeavors.

As some folks have said the waypoints are good for people who do not wish to hike around looking for little boxes and the traditional caches are good for those who do.

It also may remove some of the hidebound whiners from a part of geocaching that a lot of us enjoy.

And the biggest boon is that it allows physically challenged people to take more of a part in this sport.

To remain on topic I vote to keep the scores separate. :laughing:

Well said.

Different beasts, different game, notwithstanding same ownership, sorta like Ford owns Jaguar (or whatever it is this week). You don't buy a Jag and expect to get a Ford instead of a spare tire for the same price.

Keep it totally separate. If it *must* be consolidated, provide an opt-out function to keep the McDs and Wal-Mart WMs from polluting the GC micro ivy hides and vice-versa.

If I'm playing (and paying for) GC (or WM), I want my PM fees to support that ONE game. Right now GC is getting ripped off. A little slack is called for since WM is a beta offspring, but it must soon stand on its own.

If WM is as great as some say, then a $30 annual PM fee shouldn't be a problem. That's less cost than a tank of gas for a day of GC. A bargain whichever game you choose.

Keep the apples and oranges separate.

I know this has been said before but...

No one buys a "GEOCACHING PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP"

It is a "Groundspeak PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP"

Since Groundspeak owns both Geocaching and Waymarking, as it says on the PM page..

Membership

So, any monies collected are at the Groundspeak level and go towards the services that Groundspeak provides.

The idea of directing your money into Geocaching only features would be like buying a Camaro and then telling the dealership that GM cannot put any of the money from the sale towards its truck division.

As a sidebar...

QUOTE (SRD525 @ Sep 7 2005, 09:05 PM)

Fish or cut bait ?

You are all just wasting your time here. The decision has already been made.

And you will have no say in the matter. 

Ironically, the first thing I've heard in this thread that made some sense. The cheese is good though!

This doesn't make sense at all... FISH OR CUT BAIT indicates you have a say in the matter, and that you have the decision to make.

If we truely are just wasting our time in this discussion... the statement should be "Fish AND cut bait !"

:) The Blue Quasar

P.S. I like cheese too.... but it has no place on a fish sandwich (like a Filet 'O Fish ...yuck!)

Edited by The Blue Quasar
Adding a second game site just takes up time I don't have (the Fraggles said this best).

psst. It isn't compulsory.

Um, yes. Yes, I think it is. Otherwise, wasn't it said that the locationless cache, unless transfered over to here, will be archived? Sounds like a requirement to me.

The WM site appears to be taking on steam. More depth to the options gives greater breadth to the player. The problem with listing all of the finds or waymark ownerships is the numbers involved. As this is evolving, one could end up an owner of well over 1000 per player, and 5 times that many in finds.....

The one headache is that requirements vary between directories, categories, sub-categories, and being able to log it as visited. Some are as easy as the virt, some are harder than the original LC. Can't there be some standard? This will mean that some cats/logs get more attention than others and will get flooded. Can a server list? :rolleyes:

This has the potential to get very deep.........................