Port Townsend/port Angeles Cache Machine

travisl

The page is up!  Details soon.

If any locals (Seabeck Tribe?) know of good sized places for the pre-event or post-event dinners, I'd love to hear it!

I see the coordinates given are for Sequim. If that's where you intend to end your route, then I would recommend Petals (1345 S. Sequim Avenue) as a good place. Really great food, and plenty of space.

But I would assume that the route will either be from PT to PA or vice versa, and that you're looking for a good place for dinner at one of the ends.

I can't help with the PA end, but as to PT: many geocachers have good memories of an event at the Ajax Cafe near Port Hadlock (21 N. Water Street), just South of Port Townsend. In Port Townsend itself, the Public House (1038 Water St.) might accommodate a largish group of people. So would the Pizza Factory (1102 Water St.).

Hope this helps!

Edited by shunra
I see the coordinates given are for Sequim. If that's where you intend to end your route, then I would recommend Petals (1345 S. Sequim Avenue) as a good place. Really great food, and plenty of space.

But I would assume that the route will either be from PT to PA or vice versa, and that you're looking for a good place for dinner at one of the ends.

I can't help with the PA end, but as to PT: many geocachers have good memories of an event at the Ajax Cafe near Port Hadlock (21 N. Water Street), just South of Port Townsend. In Port Townsend itself, the Public House (1038 Water St.) might accommodate a largish group of people. So would the Pizza Factory (1102 Water St.).

Thanks. At this really early stage, I'm considering starting and ending in Sequim (a Sequim to Port Angeles to Sequim to Port Townsend to Sequim route) instead of starting at one end and ending in another. The CM's that seem to work best have the start and end close to each other, eliminating a lot of the pre- or post-event driving.

Petals sounds good for the post-event dinner. It's only a hair more pricey than Red Robin, and is in a good central location. Plus, unlike the BCM, they've got beer. :rolleyes: My only concern is whether they'll mind us staying past their 8:00 closing time.

The Ajax Cafe seems a bit too expensive for the pre-event gathering, though.

Pizza Factory, on the other hand, sounds perfect. I actually at there for the first time a month ago in Dunsmuir, California, and it was really good. If their Port Townsend location is as big as that one, that'll work really well.

Thanks for the advice.

I do think Friday, June 17 is too early for the pre-machine dinner though!

Oops. Fixed. Dang cut-and-paste :-)

Edited by travisl

Thanks. At this really early stage, I'm considering starting and ending in Sequim (a Sequim to Port Angeles to Sequim to Port Townsend to Sequim route) instead of starting at one end and ending in another. The CM's that seem to work best have the start and end close to each other, eliminating a lot of the pre- or post-event driving.

Gotcha.

In that case, don't start or end in PA, but as close as possible to the bridge, so people will be able to start as close as possible to home, and have less to drive home afterwards. During the CM, they can venture as far west as they wish. Sequim is OK too, of course.

Petals sounds good for the post-event dinner.  It's only a hair more pricey than Red Robin, and is in a good central location.  Plus, unlike the BCM, they've got beer.  :rolleyes:  My only concern is whether they'll mind us staying past their 8:00 closing time.

I have often been there much late than that. They seem to be quite flexible, and for a big group they will probably be. And yes, they have beer :-)

The Ajax Cafe seems a bit too expensive for the pre-event gathering, though. 

At This event I heared no complaints, and the logs speak for themselves. The place was a great success. Perhaps better for a mellow post-event gathering, though.

Pizza Factory, on the other hand, sounds perfect.  I actually at there for the first time a month ago in Dunsmuir, California, and it was really good.  If their Port Townsend location is as big as that one, that'll work really well.

it's quite big indeed.

I think Petals, Pizza Factory and Public House are all suitable for either pre or post event gatherings, and Ajax is good for a post-event gathering. Petals is in Sequim, Ajax is in P.Hadlock (closest to the bridge). Personally I am not too fond of the food at the Public House, but an event there last year wasn't bad. I don't know if the Pizza Factory has beer, but all the others do.

HTH,

Daniel

Edited by shunra
Every time I say I'm going to get to a cache machine something happens to screw it up, even if it is right in Bremerton. So let's try this:

There is no way I can make this cache machine. I will not be there.

:D

I've never wanted to go to one, but I might just end up being there anyway :-)

The first draft of the route is posted. Environmentally questionable stops are marked with red dots instead of cache icons.

Could you please post a second draft, and remove those environmentally sensitive spots altogether? I don't want to think about what their inclusion in a cache machine would do to the publicity of geocaching.

If you include these caches, I, for one, will not be able to stand up for permits for caches in Jefferson County and Port Townsend City parks anymore, and the climate might change entirely.

Situated as we are between the National Park and Fort Worden, Fort Flagler, Fort Townsend and Anderson Lake State Parks, county and city parks are watching the developments in that arena closely.

Does anyone know if Wilson Admirer was approved by and bribe... I mean fee paid to the Ranger? The owner doesn't seem to cache much these days.

If not, I'd give that one a red dot. It's off trail a little and I wouldn't want Ranger Rick to figure out that it's there at this late date. It's one of my favorites and would hate to see it jacked by the Ranger.

Edited by Bull Moose
Does anyone know if Wilson Admirer was approved by and bribe... I mean fee paid to the Ranger? The owner doesn't seem to cache much these days.

If not, I'd give that one a red dot. It's off trail a little and I wouldn't want Ranger Rick to figure out that it's there at this late date. It's one of my favorites and would hate to see it jacked by the Ranger.

It should be removed from the route altogether - it's in the State Park. Ask Team Misguided about Fort Worden State Park ranger Steve Shively, about his feelings about geocaching, and about how he has been pushing for a ban on geocaching in WA state parks in general.

When I wrote my previous message, I hadn'noticed that you included three caches in Fort Worden State Park (Wilson Admirer, DT Soil Water, and DT Glacier). Please take those out of the CM route as well.

Could you please post a second draft, and remove those environmentally sensitive spots altogether?

Will do.

In Sequim, Blake or Bust GCKNEM could easily be added.

Will do.

Does anyone know if Wilson Admirer was approved by and bribe... I mean fee paid to the Ranger? . . . If not, I'd give that one a red dot.

Consider it dotted and removed.

Any more suggestions before I generate a second draft?

I'd second the suggestion to avoid the Fort Worden area at all costs.

Thanks for removing the sensitive ones and Wilson Admirer. Please also remove the two Dragontrack caches (soil water and Glacier) which are inside the Fort Worden SP.

I don't consider those two environmentally sensitive as such, but they're in the "politically sensitive" State Park.

Thanks for your understanding!

The girls have a soccer game on the morning of the cache machine. We won't make it up there until the afternoon. We'll probably skip a lot of the caches and head straight towards Port Townsend and try to meet up with everybody - if not on the road, then at dinner. :laughing:

Edited by the4Grays

Mappoint did something funny between #14 (GCGTAA) and #15 (GCGEY7).

The directions say you can drive directly from Yarrow Rd to Diamond Point Blvd, but from the map, I don't think you can. The cache page for GCGEY7 states directions are to use Diamond Point Blvd.

Edited by WheelsMan

There are three new caches waiting for approval in the Sequim area as of today.

GCQHJG

GCQHKB

GCQHK5

Hopefully, they will be on-line in a day or two.

Also, GCPGJX is back in action. :D

The Fortune Star Chinese Restaurant may be a good place for the post-event dinner.

Good food, good prices, and lots of parking!

145 East Washington Street in Sequim

(360) 681-6888

I'd second the suggestion to avoid the Fort Worden area at all costs.

Thanks for removing the sensitive ones and Wilson Admirer. Please also remove the two Dragontrack caches (soil water and Glacier) which are inside the Fort Worden SP.

I don't consider those two environmentally sensitive as such, but they're in the "politically sensitive" State Park.

So noted. They've now got their own special State Park icon on my route map (off my route).

Mappoint did something funny between #14 (GCGTAA) and #15 (GCGEY7).

It sure did. It's fixed.

What about removing GCJVQM, GCMWH9 & GCPGJX, they have been disabled.
GCPGJX is back in action.

GCJVQM and GCMWH9 are off the route. Thanks for pointing this out; the owner of GCJVQM had a question about archiving it, and I helped him out.

GCPGJX is still on the route.

GCQHJG GCQHKB GCQHK5 ... will be on-line in a day or two.

Once they're up, I'll add them to the final route.

Draft 2 is posted.

The Public House is requiring one check per table and 10 per table. Any other thoughts for Port Townsend?

Dinner has been moved to Sequim. 7:30 at Petals. They have two rooms available. One seats up to 40 and one seats up to 60 or so. We have the smaller room for now and can overflow if need be but if we can get a good count and it's above 40 we can change it to the bigger room.

Sequim is the smallest city we've had a cache machine in so far so they're not as able to handle big crowds like others have. The more accurate of a count we can get the better the service will be.

So who plans on going to dinner and how many?

We are confused, because the forum has said the we will have dinner in Sequim. Where is dinner on Saturday night? The draft2 still says Port Townsend. We are camping at Fort Warden because the route was ending in Port Townsend. We want to know if the route is being changed so we end in Sequim instead of Port Townsend for the dinner that follows.

There will be a pre-CM dinner at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, September 23, at Pizza Factory, 1102 Water St., Port Townsend (48.11360, -122.758690)

Dinner on Saturday will be 8:00 p.m. at Petals Garden Cafe, 1345 S Sequim Ave, Sequim (48.07336, -122.10258)

(A huge thanks to Stump for getting the dinner locations coordinated for me!)

The final route is posted. Any further changes will be announced at dinner Friday night.

Dinner on Saturday will be 8:00 p.m. at Petals Garden Cafe, 1345 S Sequim Ave, Sequim (48.07336, -122.10258)

No, no, no. Dinner is at 7:30 at Petals, not 8:00. 8 would be too late for them.

But yes, thanks for pointing that out. I should have stated it was the Saturday dinner not the pre-CM dinner.

I am interested in finding someone to carpool with to take the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry Saturday morning, either the first run at 05:50 or the second at 06:30. Are there any takers?

We are not keen on the idea of an overnight in Port Townsend with our son, and I am not wanting to solo this trip. Maybe others feel similar.

Rob

I am interested in finding someone to carpool with to take the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry Saturday morning, either the first run at 05:50 or the second at 06:30. Are there any takers?

We are not keen on the idea of an overnight in Port Townsend with our son, and I am not wanting to solo this trip. Maybe others feel similar.

Rob

You might check the cache page, I thought I saw someone looking for others from the the edmonds end.

No, no, no. Dinner is at 7:30 at Petals, not 8:00. 8 would be too late for them.

But yes, thanks for pointing that out. I should have stated it was the Saturday dinner not the pre-CM dinner.

Got it. Thanks for catching that.