Has It Been Done

Interesting idea, almost like a White Elephant party or a Secret Santa type of thing!

I'd participate in a cache like that if it was near me.

I don't think I see any issues, other than the fact that there are always the folks that don't follow cache rules. I can see it now: "Took Swiss Army Knife (I had to unwrap three boxes before I found it!), left sig business card. Thanks!"

I like theme caches, hid one myself, but it quickly degraded to non-theme stuff, as for some reason some folks just don't care and trade whatever they feel like.

Yeah, on my Sci-Fi cache there was a theme of Science Fiction related items, and there was always logs with things like "Took Darth Vader action figure, left Hot Wheels car....'cause it was shunken by an alien shrink ray...yeah, thats it". :o

Come on....how hard is it to either A.) get a themed trade item to leave or B.)DON"T TRADE IF YOU DIDN'T! :D

Okay...okay, I'll calm down now and let the thread return to its normally schedule.

do you thank if I made it a 3 mlti cache it would help keep that down

It might slow it down some, but it will also slow down overall participation, so it is a trade off...do you want the theme items to last a while, or do you want people to go after the cache?

I have another theme cache, but I don't expect people to leave theme items. It is way out in the desert and doesn't get many visitors, so many of the origianl items are there. Most cachers have traded items, and when I do maintenace I trade out the non-theme items for theme ones to keep it going, and thats fine, as it really only requires maintenance like one a year.

I still think that your idea sounds like a lot of fun. If you have a spot that would support a large cache and is fairly muggle-proof, I think that you have a winning idea there.

In general, themed caches will either eventually degrade so there is nothing left in the box that fits the theme, or (if you make it a multi or increase the difficulty) they will have fewer traders.

I have seen a number of holiday caches in which the cache owner wrapped a bunch of small presents and allowed each finder to take one without trading. Those generally go over really well, obviously.

Edited by sbell111

I visited a pirate themed cache and left a non-pirate item. I was going to take along a large ring that has a hinge on the side. You can pivot the gem up and there is a poison compartment inside. I forgot to take it along so I took nothing and I left a set of new AA batteries. Non-pirate swag but hopefully the pirate gods will understand.

Hmmm, if you lock it, you could have the key as a Travel Bug. That would limit the number of cachers that would go after it, and anyone who did would be a lot more likely to play along.

I wouldn't put a limit on the price, but I'd give a 'suggested range' so cachers know what to expect.

I think I like the idea of having multiple gifts in the cache, that way its luck of the draw. Some 'gifts' could be gag-gifts as well, just for humor.

Oh, and you could suggest that the cachers log what they ended up with in there logs, but not allow them to say what they left to keep the element of surprise.

I visited a pirate themed cache and left a non-pirate item. I was going to take along a large ring that has a hinge on the side. You can pivot the gem up and there is a poison compartment inside. I forgot to take it along so I took nothing and I left a set of new AA batteries. Non-pirate swag but hopefully the pirate gods will understand.

Well, at least you didn't take a themed item. I see nothing wrong with what you did.

My whole point of the above rant is why do some people feel that they absoluty need to trade, even if they don't have something that fits the theme? :D

Yes, there are lots of caches like this. The most popular example are Holiday Caches, hidden in November and December. They are great at first, but the owners report that they degrade into regular swag within a few months. It is always hard to maintain a non-traditional theme.

True, if you could afford to keep them stocked well, it would be a great idea. People will trade what they want to sometimes and it makes it hard for the hider who wants a "theme" for all swag.

My idea is, if the finder doesn't want to keep by the theme, then don't trade, it's just as easy to sign a TNLN, than to anger the hider by taking a nice gift and leaving a business card.