Category Proposal : Standing Stones

Balanced Rock would be a good one. I would like to see this category.

My definition of standing stone/ stone circles are that they are man made and pre-historic, so Balanced rock doesnt fit.

Having said that, it does leave it open for someone to suggest unusual natural rock formations, as I can think of a good few of these that are VERY interesting (including Balanced Rock).

It does seem that a good definition of standing stones/ stone circles is needed, I will have a think on it.

Edited by The Royles

After a bit of thought, I have extended the category to include :

Stone circles

standing stones

stone rows

barrows

dolmen

cairns

These tend to be bronze age or Neolithic, and there is little documentation of a lot of the lesser ones in Britain, so having accurate coordinates for as many as can be found (not just Britain, anywhere that has them) should prove to be a useful resource.

The ones logged on the locationless that Hard Oiler pointed out are great, pity he didnt keep it going really, but it is a good starting point for what will constitute a valid log.

If anyone is interested, this site has a lot of these structures listed for the UK, so people can find their nearest one on there.

Excellent!

I vote for the creation of the named category, conditional upon there being all of the named sub-categories (and perhaps some more).

I would be happy with that, as long as I could have the stone circle sub-category to look after, as I do have some specific ideas on what is required for a waymark.

Ideally, I would like to police the whole lot of them, as I believe that, if done properly, it would be an excellent reference for more than just geocachers, and will reflect well on our community.

We will all have to wait to see how TPTB allocate these things with regard to overall control, responsibilities etc. This will all come in time, as it is a massive job and they are only human (so they say :laughing: ).

Would standing stones include mileposts, or is that too far off-topic? There are many old ones along the eastern coast that were part of 'post roads' between major cities.

Standing stones are neolithic, therefore milestones dont fit. Good idea for a new category though. Why not put it on here, I would vote for it straight away.

Anyone interested in helping manage this group? Send me a mail so we can work out a full proposal for

Stone circles

standing stones

stone rows

barrows

dolmen

cairns

And other neolithic structures.

Then we can go for the Peer review, and category acceptance (I think).

Andy

Anyone interested in helping manage this group? Send me a mail so we can work out a full proposal for

Stone circles

standing stones

stone rows

barrows

dolmen

cairns

And other neolithic structures.

Then we can go for the Peer review, and category acceptance (I think).

Andy

Tried to get your email from you profile but getting timed out error, would love to help Standing Stones are a favoutie of mines got hundreds around me!

Snaik

Edited by snaik