Digital Picture - Cache Audit

Ellteejak

I would like to see more geofolk bring along a digital camera and take a picture of the Geocache log, after they sign the cache log, then post the picture (after shrinking to the smallest usable/readable resolution) to the electronic log on geocaching.com as this will serve two purposes:

1) Muggled caches tend to loose the cache log. This is a uncomfortable loss, because many geofolk are very creative with thier logs.

2) Sometimes newly enthusiastic geofolk would like to see that the long time hobbiest (geocaching is a hobby) actually did go to the cache, and are not just claiming it to get thier cache count up to some "praise worthy" level.

Comments? Problems??

I take a picture of myself at every cache I visit. I have never photographed the log itself, though. If you visit my photo gallery, you will see at least one picture posted for every one of my finds. If I post only one picture for a cache, I am always in it.

Obviously, I understand that some people wouldn't do that because many people are concerned about privacy issue. I like the idea of having some other way of validating a find rather than the cache owner having to go and check to make sure the log book has actually be signed by everyone who logs the find on the site. Photos are a great way to do that.

I am not a goepoliceman. I like to think that most (if not all) geocachers are in this for the fun of it. If they want to pad thier numbers, who cares? I dont, and neither should you. If you are worried about you own cache logs, every now and then visit your cache (I think this is more of a problem than someone logging without finding) bring the log home and compare it with the online logs. Any no shows, delete the entries.

If you did thsi then you would have to ahve it listed a difficulty 5 as folks would need a digital camer. That said I do not think it would be approved as you can ont require folks to do weird stuff, as if geocaching was not wierd enought, to log a cache. Maybe your approver would approve it but I have heard of caches not being approved because ithe cache required folks to do soimghing to log the cache.

cheers

I always carry a digital camera when I'm caching but I have no inclination to photograph log entries. One time, I recall, I did photograph a couple of early entries on a very old cache, but typically I prefer more creative photography.

Maybe in the future, official, high-tech, electronic logbooks will be distributed for every new cache. The logbooks would be something like the UPS guy carries around. That way there would not even be a need for the online log; it would happen instantly and automatically, and would be an exact replica, written in the cacher's own handwriting. :P:blink:

Yes we should embed RFID chips in the GPS and cache.  then just wave it over the log, and you are set!!  :blink:  Or maybe put a barcode on the log, and scan that with your Palm, or other handheld.

:P

I had sort of envisioned the bar code embedded in your index finger; the logbook would then automatically identify the cacher (as he writes with his finger) on the book. This would also severely hamper the number of sock puppets one could obtain. :lol::lol:

I have had a few entries in the logbooks in our caches that I wouldn't want published. Finders that got stumped on certain parts of a cache are able to write the whole experience of what it took to find the cache, but they may not include the same info on the GC.com site so as to not spoil the surprise or give out too much info. There is no problem with spoiler info being in the physical log, but it can be a problem on the online logs.

I would like to see more geofolk bring along a digital camera and take a picture of the Geocache log, after they sign the cache log, then post the picture (after shrinking to the smallest usable/readable resolution) to the electronic log on geocaching.com as this will serve two purposes:

1) Muggled caches tend to loose the cache log. This is a uncomfortable loss, because many geofolk are very creative with thier logs.

2) Sometimes newly enthusiastic geofolk would like to see that the long time hobbiest (geocaching is a hobby) actually did go to the cache, and are not just claiming it to get thier cache count up to some "praise worthy" level.

Comments? Problems??

That would be a good feature.

But, it would be a MAJOR inconvience for cachers, and some cachers want to get in, get out, and get going.

However, when I do have some time on my hands, I'll sit down and pick through a log to see what some cachers said about the cache.

IF you want proof a "code word" or "number" in a cache could be mailed to the owner be fore claiming the find.

As long as they let you know it's required somewhere before you head out there (again, some designation of cache type, perhaps... 'unknown' works for me) so you KNOW that you have to do something extra special to log your find.

I do not often cache with cache pages and download the pertinent cache information into my GPSr (type/size/dif/ter). I run PQ's specifically designed such that I should NOT need cache pages most of the time.

If I bust my hump to get to your traditional/regular cache and then later find out I had to stand on my head, tap my toes three times and wish for visions of Jeremy to dance before my very eyes for 10 minutes before I log your damnn cache, you can bet I'm gonna be pretty ticked off I wasted my time.

I have so many better things to do than to write to every cache owner after logging my finds with some special code word to PROVE I was there.

You want proof? Go look at your log book. Stat!

I'm generally not in favor of requirements beyond finding the cache and signing the log. It's unlikely that most photos of logs would be readable, and the time to download, edit and save at below 120K on photos to upload to GC.com is considerable. I know, I try to load a photo or 2 with many cache finds. I'd resent the heck out of being asked to photo the cache itself or the log. Also, of the 3 caches we found yesterday, a photo of the log would provide information about the cache well beyond what the cache owner themselves felt to offer.

I own 60 listings, some several years old. I've NEVER seen a fake on-line "Found It" (okay, I have had one DNF=Found type log, but that's not what you're talking about.) I do find a modest number of signatures in the logbook with no corresponding on-line log.

You want proof I found your cache? Go read my handwritten log in it. I might even say something more interesting on the page than online if it will spoil the fun of the hunt for someone behind me. I have cached with a few people who like to take a picture of their handiwork at every stop. Sometimes it's ok as we're at a place with nice scenery, and there is a nice view for me to enjoy and indulge their way of playing the game. Othertimes I just want to say can we go now, it's just another guardrail/lamppost/walmart parking lot? We came we found we signed, that's all we need to do. But I don't; they are my friends and I respect the way they like to play. But if you require me to do something I might not want to do, well, there's always that handy ignore feature. (When are we gonna get it for the forums though? :rolleyes: )

Problems:

1) Some people can't afford digital cameras

2) Regular maintenance will tell you if people didn't sign then drop them an email

3) Some people write spoilers in log entries because it is not seen online

4) People might not GO to your cache if you do this. Wouldn't you rather have the visitors?

5) If you require them to bring a camera and it breaks do you want to blamed? If they bring it by choice it is their choice.

If you want to preserve the log - go every week and take pictures of the new pages yourself.

Just my opinion however.

When bugs are biting and someone is looking for gators, while you log, usually, I prefer, a simple sticker and a TN/LN/SL, close it up and get out of there..

I do my creative logging at home on the computer logging into the geocache site,

it is much easier with a cold beer in your hand than dodging the wild life.

Rick :anibad:

I used to read log books, but it's rare now and usually only on a way neato cache in a cool spot sans bugs.

I usually only sign "Sn :lol::lol: gans wuz here," while batting mosquitos the size of B-17s off me here in Texas. My online logs are better if there's anything worth telling.

Seen the occasional gator too. ;)

BTW- I ONLY post pics when I feel like it. I'd be almost certain not to if someone told me I had to on a traditional cache.

Edited by Snoogans

Comments? Problems??

Maybe the newly-enthusiastic cacher should be more worried about finding caches themselves instead of whether or not others have found, or how many they've found.

Maybe we could have volunteers (such as yourself) go out and validate the numbers for the high-count cachers to see if they're legit or not. That way, those of us that just plain don't care wouldn't have to worry about additional logging requirements or risking a $1000 camera just to make the cache police happy. You could even wear one of these while doing it:

cp.jpg

Am I going to waste my money taking a pic of your log book? I think not.

Do your own maintenance. :laughing:

I do my own maintenance. Found only fake log without a signature. It was a log from some guy from Kansas who claimed to have visited one of mine that is a mile off the nearest road and under 5 ft. of snow at the time. DELETE!

Do your own! Forget the camera idea.

So many unhelpful people!

I sometimes photograph the cache log so I can read thru it later. One time, a cache camera was taken and logged in the paper log, but not on the website. My photo of the cache log solved the mystery!

Who cares if people cheat on their numbers.. .that's their problem.. but it is nice to make a copy of the log for its own sake

Comments?

Nope. Not going to do this. Muggled logbooks happen - I'd rather spend the effort rehiding the container to keep muggles from finding it. Geocachers are actually very trustworthy. With over 100 caches placed I've not detected any evidence of caches logged without having visited the actual site.

Problems??

Yep. I've got enough stuff to do to get a cache logged: quiry, download, convert to pda or print pages, find parking, get to cache, possibly some photo for interest, log, maybe trade, get back to car, get home, upload interest photo, upload gps route, get list of caches found, log caches, admire the day's work.

Comments?

Nope. Not going to do this. Muggled logbooks happen - I'd rather spend the effort rehiding the container to keep muggles from finding it. Geocachers are actually very trustworthy. With over 100 caches placed I've not detected any evidence of caches logged without having visited the actual site.

Problems??

Yep. I've got enough stuff to do to get a cache logged: quiry, download, convert to pda or print pages, find parking, get to cache, possibly some photo for interest, log, maybe trade, get back to car, get home, upload interest photo, upload gps route, get list of caches found, log caches, admire the day's work.

:P You are a little lazy aren't you Sagefox? :rolleyes:

:P Just kidding... SF is my favorite bro-in-law! :P

Edited by Wienerdog

I really just enjoy the hunt for the cache. Should it really bother you so much that some people are just padding their numbers be pretending they found the cache?

It really doesn't make a difference to me if others are doing it, its actually kind of stupid an unrewarding if you ask me. If you think about it, why would someone go out of their way to write logs and add to their count when they could be doing better things? The whole point of this is to have fun, and the fun part for geocachers is finding the cache.