It's About The Numbers

Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere already, but I was unable to find the answer.

Will a Waymark find add to your cache count?

Personally, I hope not. I was never in favor of locationless or virtuals counting in your cache total, despite the fact that I've "found" a few. To me, finds should be based on the number of physical logs a person signs, in logbooks extracted from a cache container. The thought of being allowed/encouraged to pad your total with what one person referred to as "Yellow Pages" caches repels me. Like benchmarks, I feel that Waymarks should be a separate area.

What's the official position on this?

Thanks, Ibycus, and although your Markwell doesn't clearly state yea or nay on the subject, it looks rather like waymarks and benchmarks will be treated pretty much the same.

Can't say I'm real enthusiastic about this Waymarking thing, but then my hackle raises any time I hear McDonald's mentioned. (Or is that my gorge that rises? Or both?)

The find "count" on geocaching.com will never be affected by Waymarking.com. I can guarantee that. However there may be a future tab or link that goes to the Waymarking.com profile so you can see what the person is doing over there. That's a similar approach to the link to these forums to see what the person is posting.

I think this is going to be a turnoff for some people. I, and many others, like to have all of my relevant geo-related information in one spot. Currently, I can look and see everything I have found, hidden, or attended in one spot.

While I don't think that the waymarks should count as a total, I do think they should be displayed in the same location - just like benchmarks are.

I'm still way behind on figuring all of this out - so I can't comment on it much more than that. I just know that most people I know like all of their info in one location. While Waymarking may not be Geocaching - it's still Groundspeak.

----

It seems that very few people I have talked to (locally) understand much about this. Aside from "I don't understand" the only specific comment I've seen is "It looks like they're splitting it into something else, and I don't like that".

So, my suggestion:

Put the Waymark totals on the "profile" page with everything else - or make a "Groundspeak Profile" with everything on it.

sd

So, my suggestion:

Put the Waymark totals on the "profile" page with everything else - or make a "Groundspeak Profile" with everything on it.

I think that's a good idea if they can implement it. I think a lot of people will have less aversion to Waymarking if it's only the listings for them that is separate and that their personal stats are in one place.

Good point...put benchmarks on their own tab, traveling items on their own tab, geocaches on their own tab, and waymarks on the final tab.

They don't all need to be on the same tab to get the numbers. They're not related counts (in that they don't total into the same sum).

My opinion, Waymarking should have it's own tally system, that we can keep track of, as well as others, just like in Geocaching.

Even in Geocaching, some caches have gotten out of hand, where it says, "If it is busy, and you can not get to it due to muggles, then just take a picture and log a find"

I went there and saw a physical crater the size of an ammo box, but I was the first person to log the DNF after 5 other finds sayd, "Did not see it but got the picture"

I think we are on to something..... Sign a paper then it will count as a geocache find In one of my hides, I have a roll of film hidden and you write on the roll of film itself (35mm Accident) - those cases are the only exceptions.

I've gotten to set my goals, to where I will not consider 100 finds until I have 100 signatures on papers.

If you do not sign a logbook of log strip, and you take a picture or answer a question, then it can count as a point or find on Waymarking

but I would like to see a type of scoring system to track waymarks, so we can set goals.... 100 waymarks found..... 1,000 waymarks found, but then again there has to be an honesty system, a way of proving you were there... if waymarkers cheat, for example, track a waymark on a topo map and log it on a computer, that defeats the whole purpose.

I have seen some email forums where someone deleated a "find" because they DNF and thier pride was broken up,and even had one guy here in St Louis steal two caches, and announced to everyone that he didnt think the hide was fair (though it was debated and approved, as well as approved by the whole email forums group), so he anounced that he was taking them and they are now gone.

What then can the tally counts to some of these dis-honest people skyrocket to?

If it causes people to get hung up over the concept of Waymarking by applying geocaching to it, I would think that this would be a Bad Idea.

I'm not sure I follow you. Hung up??

Benchmarking is a seperate activity but my benchmark "find" totals are listed beside my geocache "find" totals. I like it like that, and would hope that my waymark "visits" would be on the same page. I like having all of my data in one spot.

I'd think it would be easy enough to put that all in one location while differentiating the seperate geo-activities.

I think it would be good for Waymarking. I've noticed several locals already dismissing it because it's a seperate website.

sd

The find "count" on geocaching.com will never be affected by Waymarking.com. I can guarantee that.

Thank you, Jeremy. Those were the words I wanted to hear.

However, if (big if) I pursue Waymarking, it would be nice to have my waymark total shown in my profile just like benchmarks are shown.

I would also like to see waymarks be on our geocaching profile stats the same way benchmarking is now.

Ditto. One place to see everything. Lump all those Geocoin icons into one Geocoin stat, and add WayMcDS © as a separate stat, not counting the final total.

Traditional Caches 23*

Multi Caches 3*

Benchmarks 3

WayMcDs 5

Geocoins 7

*Total 26

The find "count" on geocaching.com will never be affected by Waymarking.com. I can guarantee that. However there may be a future tab or link that goes to the Waymarking.com profile so you can see what the person is doing over there. That's a similar approach to the link to these forums to see what the person is posting.

Exactly what I prefer, after all GC and WM are two totally different games.

WayMcDS ©

And we now have a new term for lame waymarks?

I kinda like "McWaymarks" myself. Feel free to use it. :rolleyes:

But in regards to the O.P., I would prefer to have benchmarks counted in my total.

If they aren't part of my finds, then why are they here? They should be on some other Groundspeak site.

Sounds good to me. Consistency is important. Some will like Waymarking, some Benchmarking, and some Geocaching. Treat them equally. Either caches, benchmarks, and waymarks are all on the same page, individual tabs, or independent with at most a link to another site. They are three different games.

P.S. My vote is for WayMac's. :rolleyes:

Back to the original question...Whether it is about the numbers or not, I like the idea of seeing waymark totals on the same page as geocache totals and benchmark totals. My benchmark totals don't get added to my geocaching totals, and I like it that way. I suppose I would feel the same way about waymark totals--if I could still see them on the same page.

Since they all GC sponsored, having them all on the same page is handy--while having them as separate categories of games makes sense because the criteria are different.

It may just be a matter of presentation. Removing existing 'caches' from the geocaching pages and putting them on their own page feels like someone is saying "we don't want you --we don't want you so much that we are making you go away" while having them in a separate section is more like saying "We think you are so unique that you deserve your own section!"

Back to the original question...Whether it is about the numbers or not, I like the idea of seeing waymark totals on the same page as geocache totals and benchmark totals. My benchmark totals don't get added to my geocaching totals, and I like it that way. I suppose I would feel the same way about waymark totals--if I could still see them on the same page.

Since they all GC sponsored, having them all on the same page is handy--while having them as separate categories of games makes sense because the criteria are different.

It may just be a matter of presentation. Removing existing 'caches' from the geocaching pages and putting them on their own page feels like someone is saying "we don't want you --we don't want you so much that we are making you go away" while having them in a separate section is more like saying "We think you are so unique that you deserve your own section!"

*nod nod* I really feel this is the best solution.