Placing Caches On State Of Ohio Property

maggieszoo

This is from an email I received from ODNR:

Geo-Caching Tips for ODNR Properties

If you are considering establishing a cache on property owned or managed by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, (State Parks, State Forests, State Nature Preserves, State Wildlife Areas) please adhere to the following guidelines to avoid legal complications and/or prosecution:

1. Always consult the local facility manager for permission before establishing a cache. Many are eager to help determine safe, scenic, and fun locations.

2. Traditional caches are NOT permitted on State Nature Preserves or Wildlife Areas - virtual caches only. Illegally placed caches will be removed.

3. If you do not know how to contact a local facility manager, please contact the following staff:

State Parks - Phil Hoffman - (614) 265-6561

State Forests - (614) 265-6694

State Nature Preserves - Ron Demmy - (614) 265-6453

State Wildlife Areas - Jennifer Windus - (614) 265-6330

Have fun! Maggieszoo, Waverly, Ohio

Oh, FYI.....permission is secured for placing caches at Lake White State Park and Pike Lake State Park.

If you are considering establishing a cache on property owned or managed by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, (State Parks, State Forests, State Nature Preserves, State Wildlife Areas) please adhere to the following guidelines to avoid legal complications and/or prosecution:

1. Always consult the local facility manager for permission before establishing a cache. Many are eager to help determine safe, scenic, and fun locations.

2. Traditional caches are NOT permitted on State Nature Preserves or Wildlife Areas - virtual caches only. Illegally placed caches will be removed.

3. If you do not know how to contact a local facility manager, please contact the following staff:

Oh, FYI.....permission is secured for placing caches at Lake White State Park and Pike Lake State Park.

Looks like it doesn't matter, since gc no longer allows new virtuals to be listed and ODNR won't allow anything else.

i have a cache hidden at LAKE ALMA STATE PARK in SE OHIO and i called the park office and they didnt care that i placed it in the park didn't ask any questions about container type of where i was hiding it.. they were happy to attract travelers and said that the park has many letterbox hides as well... so it seams that the ODNR doesn't stop geocaching in their parks... you just have to talk to a park employee

Being new to geocaching since April of this year i didn't realize all the rules with preserves. I set up a 7 stage puzzle cache in a local preserve only to find out through my reviewer that I had to get permission. I called Ron or someone in that department who put me in contact with the land manager. I spoke with her and then met her at the preserve. I took her on the 7 stage multi. She had a blast and enjoyed the hike. However, I had to remove 6 of my 7 stages because they were way off the path. We have established a great relationship and she hoped I would move the 7 stages to within 20ft of the path. I didn't keep the puzzle there, but I do have 4 caches in the area all approved!! I even found out that she had removed a cache from the very same location that I intended to hide one. She still had the container with all contents, log books, tbs and swag. I am currently trying to adopt the cache and bring it out of an archived state. Interesting journey!!! I hope it encourages others. :rolleyes: